Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: My husband refuses to adopt my son from a pervious relationship

True. She has the odds stacked against her. And...she can graciously accept the fathering role of her husband without this much ado or drama. It's also nonsense to hire expensive attorneys for some wild goose chase.

However they need to talk about whether either of them want kids. She states she's a certain age but her husband wants to delay having family. It seems this is the root of all this.
    Originally Posted by waffle
    If his name isn't on the birth certificate, then what, he's just going to magically come forward and submit to a paternity test?
    Sounds like she picks her men more carefully these days. Just be grateful for that and continue on.

Hey Wise.

"in the US it is prohibitively expensive. " (lawyers).

I can assure you it is very expensive everywhere.

You did say at the outset here:

"You need to track down the birth father for child support. You also need to talk to an attorney. "

And now:

"It's also nonsense to hire expensive attorneys for some wild goose chase."

For adoption. Adoption in the US is a long drawn out expensive legal issue, not a criminal matter. However, she should simply accept her husband in a fathering role and try to locate the bio dad if she feels it's worthwhile.
    Originally Posted by LaHermes
    You also need to talk to an attorney. "[/I]

I see. I am in agreement that OP is fortunate to have a supportive husband who loves her child. But it does rankle that the "dad" who flitted cannot be held responsible. And as the OP herself pointed out earlier, we don't know the entire story.

Don't force the issue. Either he'll come around one day by deciding to adopt your son or it's his decision not to adopt him. It's his choice, NOT yours. Your husband is the one who needs to want to adopt your son by his own will; not by force whatsoever.

In the meantime, remain grateful that your husband is providing for your son, a male role model, a father figure to him and cares for him. Be grateful for what you have for your son instead of expecting more from your husband. I hope your husband decides to adopt your son someday, however, count your blessings and be thankful that your husband is in the picture helping you raise your son.

Don't pester nor hound your husband about adopting your son otherwise you'll push him away and there's no telling where that could go especially upon his masters program graduation. Tread lightly.

Was this not discussed before you got married and made future plans? So is this a deal breaker for you?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice