Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Am I too old for an American Girl Doll?

Suzuki550

I turn 23 next month. I am a mom of a 2 year old. I never had a american doll because I was too scared to ask my mom for one due to the prices. I bought my daughter a bitty baby. I wouldn't play with the doll, but I could see collecting them and maybe changing their outfits now and then or setting up scenes to display them as. Should I just forget it and move on? Am I being ridiculous? Idk how I'd justify this to my husband lol. Be honest even if it's brutal.

I appreciate this so much. I feel like there's so much pressure on people to be a certain way. I remember at thirteen forcing myself not to play with my little pet shops because I thought I was too old. I think I'm going to buy a used one and if anyone says anything I'm just going to say, "Hey, it's my money anyways." Lol

I appreciate this so much. I feel like there's so much pressure on people to be a certain way. I remember at thirteen forcing myself not to play with my little pet shops because I thought I was too old. I think I'm going to buy a used one and if anyone says anything I'm just going to say, "Hey, it's my money anyways." Lol

"Thanks for sharing - I guess you don't want to play with one, then?"

Grown MEN collect dolls all the time, they just call them action figures. There seems to be quite the market for it. People collect whatever makes them happy, so why not get an American Girl doll or two? I remember my mom getting a vintage Barbie when she was 50 because she had never had one before. So it's never to late to start.

I've started a collection of dolphin items, including a couple of stuffed animals that I'll hug if I feel like it. Whatever you enjoy, embrace it. It's no one's business but your own.

I know of someone in their 50’s who collects Barbies. They have been collecting them since they were a teenager and entire room in their house is devoted to Barbies they even have them insured.

My mom does this, but she says they're for my sister and I. Mind you, I've rarely seen the collection, not even when I was a kid. They are tucked away somewhere.

When I was growing up, my neighbor's mom had a room full of porcelain glass dolls. The room was right off the front foyer and it was beautiful. We weren't allowed in it, though.

Grown MEN collect dolls all the time, they just call them action figures. There seems to be quite the market for it.

So true.

I've started a collection of dolphin items, including a couple of stuffed animals that I'll hug if I feel like it.

I collect giraffes. I didn't mean to; it just happened.

Suzuki.

Just go for it! Why not.

Not to mention the extraordinary prices commanded at antiques auctions and the like for vintage dolls. So maybe an investment anyhow.

I don't collect. I do still have the teddy bear my husband bought for me when we were first dating. Eustace (that's the bear lol) is a bit the worse for wear but he's still around. That's the only soft toy I've got.

I love dolls houses and the beautiful little furniture , little curtains and tables and knives and forks and things ...just lovely and I know I would tinker about and be buying little plants for the balconies /garden

Me too! I'm not into it to the point that some are but I admire those who make the little furniture pieces, accessories etc. There's something SO stress relieving about setting that all up and then rearranging. And this is coming from someone who hates cleaning - who knew!

The way I see it, life is short. I would never begrudge an adult, male or female, for partaking in things like this. I'd rather people do this than have self destructive methods of stress relief or just be miserable. What is the point?!

Being an adult sucks enough, especially now. Allow yourself a reprieve.

Me too! I'm not into it to the point that some are but I admire those who make the little furniture pieces, accessories etc. There's something SO stress relieving about setting that all up and then rearranging. And this is coming from someone who hates cleaning - who knew!

The way I see it, life is short. I would never begrudge an adult, male or female, for partaking in things like this. I'd rather people do this than have self destructive methods of stress relief or just be miserable. What is the point?!

Being an adult sucks enough, especially now. Allow yourself a reprieve.

What you wrote reminds me about the popularity of adult coloring books!

Gosh yes, Pippy. Those dolls houses are amazing. The quality and workmanship on some of that tiny furniture, lamps, lighting, even kitchen utensils, everything. Just incredible. And the sky's the mimit as to the price of those houses.

I think you'd enjoy "The Haunted Dolls House" by M.R. James (narrated by Michael Hordern). Something shivery for Hallowe'en. L.

And yes, there are fairies at the bottom of your garden! IMO all gardens have them.

What you wrote reminds me about the popularity of adult coloring books!

I love those too! Very relaxing. I have about 6+ adult coloring books and I have gel pens, colored pencils, and ultra fine markers. I enjoy coloring and listening to podcasts or music as I do so. I'll be damned if anyone tells me that's for "children" for I can color a lot better now than I could when I was much younger! :D

I think I'm going to buy a used one and if anyone says anything I'm just going to say, "Hey, it's my money anyways." Lol

Do it, but treat yourself to a new one! These dolls are rad! You can make one to look just like you... even better if you eventually make a whole family of them to look like you, your hubs and your kid!

I collect driftwood in the shape of animals, shells, and rocks from my travels and display them around my house... I also collect owls in various forms, including stuffed ones... I might be 48 but am definitely a child at heart lol

I collect giraffes. I didn't mean to; it just happened.

Had a co-worker once who loved giraffes. Another one collected pigs. It's interesting seeing what people get into.

And count me in on the adult coloring as well. It started with coloring posters as a teen and has continued whenever I can find the time to get one. I've got a poster that's nearly as tall as I am that I'm even a little intimidated to start.

Archived