LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Betrayed by family

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    I love my siblings, but I am not prepared to take them in at a moment's notice. For a night or two, yes, but not 1/4 of a year.
    The brother said he would think about it, and the OP never called him back so maybe the brother thought the OP found another solution.
    What we don't know is if the OP is a serial imposer or not or what their history is.
    Yep. I think self-entitlement is far more damaging (and less 'loving') to any relationship than allowing someone to think through a long-term imposition.

If my wealth had not taught me how to be more self-sufficient, I'd say there's no time like the present to learn that--and without carrying the weight of a big chip.

Really hard to pass judgement. What happens in families and between siblings from childhood into adulthood is incredibly variable. I ultimately wouldn't condemn a sibling to homelessness if push came to shove, but there are certainly a couple siblings I'd hesitate more than the others to clean the sheets for. Add to that some people just have an escalated need for privacy. If your brother's single with no wife, kids, or pets and yet is sitting in a 5BR house on a 3 acre plot, my guess is that entire formula is likely at least in large part non-coincidental.

I also don't have any brothers or sisters with $2,000,000+ in assets. Understanding a large chunk of it probably isn't liquid and you obviously don't want to dip your hand too deep in the portion that is, what's the point in accruing wealth if you can't or aren't going to ever drop a few grand into something like an extended stay hotel in the case of an Act of God leveling your home? The wife and I have nowhere near that amount in investments and savings, but we are comfortable enough where there's no way asking family if we could stay at theirs for months at a time would be the go-to. It may be that reality and expectation has played into your brother's attitude toward your predicament and request.

Sorry to hear about your house. Hope all the repairs go well and you're back to the comfort of your own home ASAP.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    I love my siblings, but I am not prepared to take them in at a moment's notice. For a night or two, yes, but not 1/4 of a year.
    The brother said he would think about it, and the OP never called him back so maybe the brother thought the OP found another solution.
    What we don't know is if the OP is a serial imposer or not or what their history is.
    The fact that his brother never bothered to text, call nor give him an answer is very cold. The brother is the one who should've given him an answer because OP is the one who asked for a favor. Completely ignoring anyone no less a brother is intolerable, inexcusable and unacceptable. Apparently, blood isn't thicker than water. Giving absolutely no response whatsoever is very un-brotherly.

His brother doesn't deserve to inherit a penny from his wealthy brother. OP isn't feeling the "love."

Never give anyone money when they don't deserve it nor earned the love and care. They're not worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice