LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with Anxiety

Dealing with Anxiety

Does anybody have any tips for when your mind is just running wild and your anxiety is making you paranoid about everything? I have a tendency to get caught in a downward spiral of overthinking and overanalyzing and imagining the absolute worst case scenarios for everything, and sometimes it gets so bad that I just feel totally overwhelmed. I try to remind myself that these thoughts are probably due much more to my anxiety than they are to anything logical or rational, but there are days when even that doesn't help. Anybody else with anxiety have any helpful methods that they use to deal with those moments?

I have GAD. I see a psychologist, a psychiatrist and take medication. While I am currently experiencing a spike in my anxiety due to going back to work, all those things have helped tremendously.

What treatments are you currently receiving?

I also see a therapist, but I'm only seeing her once a month currently. I've been considering upping that to twice a month since my anxiety levels seem to be increasing lately, but it is somewhat expensive. I can afford it though if I need to, and I'm thinking I might be at that point. Especially since I just started a new relationship, and I'm realizing I have a lot more emotional and trust issues than I even thought I did. Probably as a result of my last relationship which ended earlier this year.

Consider seeing a medical doctor to determine if medication is something you might want to try. I feel much better on the medication.

I replied in your other thread about this:
    [Register to see the link]

I have the same issues. I see a psychologist and we are using thought record sheets at the moment. U can find them online. Look up selfhelp.org too. I am now reading up on buddhism and meditation / mindfulness. See you GP. I get prescribed propranalol. Also get some exercise. I also take a break from social media for awhile and do reading, decorating, cleaning and more importantly spending time with positive people and my family xxx

Same as you :/.

I had help dealing with my anxiety.. it was so overwhelming.. For abt a year i was medicated.. could not function
    After yr my meds changed.. for diff reasons,.

I also learned coping mechanisms.. what you can try is grounding techniques.. eg.. look for things of certain colour in your room..
    Feel things, I often play with a bracelet.. or my lypsil.. or keys, etc
    Smell- aroma's

Also, a good show/ music can get me to 'change my mode'.

Go make a tea- focus on that very thing.
    Go have a nice warm bath/ shower

Just things to occupy your mind.. I also do crafts :)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

Is there anything in your life that helps you get out of your head? A sport? A hobby? Something that you know just calms the nerves, a touch, when they get agitated?

Not offering that as a panacea or substitute for heavy hitters—therapy, medication, etc.—but I know having a little (or not so little in my case) arsenal along those lines is essential for me.

I exercise daily, eat smart and take care of my health. I also have hobbies. Currently, I've been sewing quilts for my family and friends. I also enjoy calligraphy, creating greeting cards for all occasions, embossing, scrapbooking, cooking, reading library books (autobiographies are my favorite), watch high quality movies occasionally, take daily walks with my husband and sons, walks and picnics with friends (social distancing / masks). These types of activities are healthy distractions. I've also had time to declutter and organize my house. I enjoy staying busy. Idle hands are the devil's workshop!

If you sit around and have too much time on your hands, your mind wanders towards negativity and you'll forget how to be grateful.

Balance in life is important. Also, cell phones, computers and TV are huge time traps. Learn to turn electronics OFF or stay away from them because they waste a lot of time and energy. Be more active, productive and industrious. Get a lot done. When you don't have downtime to feel anxious or depressed, you'll be too fatigued to make brain space for anxiety or depressive thoughts. You'll feel more positive, hopeful and upbeat. A new mindset helps you to feel strong, tough and courageous. Don't let life beat you down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice