Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brother came back from his trip as a monster. I hate him now. Am I overreacting?

Originally Posted by chocolateyes
    Thank you everyone!
    So what is your plan to get yourself out of this situation?

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    So what is your plan to get yourself out of this situation?
    I'm going to save up and move out. While it's my brother who is the instigator, my other family members, by basically doing and saying nothing, essentially condone this behaviour and I've had enough. I knew in my mind I wasn't exactly wrong to feel the way I do about the situation, but I wanted to make sure by asking the forums. I've kept my bedroom door locked at night long before posting and I'm just happy that I'm not crazy in feeling this way about my brother. Thanks again.

I'm going to save up and move out. While it's my brother who is the instigator, my other family members, by basically doing and saying nothing, essentially condone this behaviour and I've had enough. I knew in my mind I wasn't exactly wrong to feel the way I do about the situation, but I wanted to make sure by asking the forums. I've kept my bedroom door locked at night long before posting and I'm just happy that I'm not crazy in feeling this way about my brother. Thanks again.
    They may not want to isolate or antagonize him and there may be issues of privacy, logistics or other things going on also if he's receiving treatment or he's in the process of entering a treatment program. If your whole family is truly dysfunctional and there's no help at all, avoid certain individuals. Best to keep to yourself, don't internalize this and stay on top of your studies or work. Don't get involved right now in the thick of it. You're doing the right thing. Move out but figure out something that works for you - don't jump at the nearest opportunity and end up in a bad situation also. Stay safe.

Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    They may not want to isolate or antagonize him and there may be issues of privacy, logistics or other things going on also if he's receiving treatment or he's in the process of entering a treatment program. If your whole family is truly dysfunctional and there's no help at all, avoid certain individuals. Best to keep to yourself, don't internalize this and stay on top of your studies or work. Don't get involved right now in the thick of it. You're doing the right thing. Move out but figure out something that works for you - don't jump at the nearest opportunity and end up in a bad situation also. Stay safe.
    Thank you so much. And yes, I haven't told any of them I plan to leave and all that. I'm just studying and staying to myself in the meantime. I appreciate your thoughts :)

Bronze Member
    This is the best plan. Honestly, I'm not sure if your environment was ever a very healthy place for you. Your father cheating and the problems between your parents feel like they took on toll everyone. While you tried to make things better and focus on keeping everyone together, you're brother has always acted out. Moving away only gave him a taste of "freedom" and seems to have encouraged him in his self-destructive behavior. He needs to address why he is behaving this way and the family needs to call him out on it and put a stop to it. He can't fix everyone else, especially when he is adding more drama to the situation. For your own health, it is best to remove yourself from the situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice