Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Can good friendship ever become more?

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    You can change that rather than blaming her for all your problems. This all has nothing to do with her. It has to do with going to a doctor for a complete evaluation for moods, anxiety, withdrawal, ruminating , obsessive thoughts, etc. It also has to do with getting supportive therapy.

It also has to do with joining some clubs, groups, sports, volunteering taking some classes, enjoying your work etc. This woman is not responsible for your mental health or social life. You are.
    I still don't like that term. "Blaming her". I'm not "blaming her".

Platinum Member
    What exactly do you do to "try to connect with people?" Those are very popular terms these days -"connect" - but "try?" and what does connection look like to you?

Here are some of the things I do - none of them might be relevant to you -just examples:

I send an email to a friend asking how her move went.
    I buy my husband the juice he likes (that I don't)
    I have been doing volunteer work since around 1981 and most of it involves one to one interaction with people at least part of it- over the years I've had good, fun, and also deep conversations with fellow volunteers plus made lasting friendships.
    I chat with one of my coworkers privately on Facebook - but only about what we're reading -we both love reading and talking about what we're reading.
    Book clubs. I've made lasting friendships that way.
    I chat with my neighbors through our masks in the package room - I listen and I ask good follow up questions (which is what another coworker who I'm friendly with told me I'm good at and that's one reason she enjoys our pre-covid monthly lunches)
    I share inside jokes with my husband almost daily. Some of them we started in the mid 1990s and all we have to do is say one word of it and we get it.
    I participate on a daily Facebook thread about what we're grateful for - big or small - I've then become friendly with people through private messages because of it.

How about you? I suggest you get really specific and don't rely on those broad "try to connect" kind of thoughts.

Sonic,

I skimmed though some of this, so forgive me if I missed an important detail.

You are a remarkably mature and insightful person. You have handled a tough, confusing, and heart wrenching situation well. You are doing the right thing in putting her happiness first and I can tell that you really do love her. Even if you hurt from this, you are still willing to see it through to the end and are willing to accept what happens. You want her to be okay, even if it's not with you. I think that makes you the kind of man that any woman would be lucky to be with. I've done the same. What some won't understand is when you find that person that you care for, that you just know is right for you, you can't just move on. You have to ride out those feeling, wherever it takes you. I've been criticized for that in the past. But love is something you have to feel your way though. And i respect you for how you are approaching this.

Unless I missed something, I don't think she ever turned you down. If anything, she respects you more then most guys since you aren't trying to "get in her pants" and "be one and done." Don't joke about it or play games to see how she feels. Just be honest with her. Tell her that you respect her and value your friendship. Tell her that you love your time together and want to see if there could be something more there. Tell her what you've told all of us, that you just want her to be happy and would never hurt her. But you need to get these feeling out there. The only way to resolve things is to let it all go. Life has given you a chance at something awesome. It's time to just take a chance. I did once and it didn't work out. I did a second time, and it lead to the greatest moments of my life. Either way, you won't know unless you try. And I agree, you have a great friendship that will survive even if it's not romantic.

I also know what it's like to be the introvert and loner. Women always love me ... in a platonic way. But getting to something deeper doesn't seem in the cards. I know that it can get down thinking of others in relationships and being so happy. But what they do doesn't matter. They have plenty of issues as well, relationship and otherwise. What matters is that you stay true to who you are and be the kind of person you want to be. You sound like a good person, so be proud of that. Do what makes you happy. And eventually, be it this girl or someone else, someone will see just how bright of a light is shining in you and will be drawn to that. You'll have everything you've ever dreamed of and more. Just be patient and try not to overthink it my friend. You're on the right path, just have to persevere.

Originally Posted by ShySoul
    You are a remarkably mature and insightful person. You have handled a tough, confusing, and heart wrenching situation well. You are doing the right thing in putting her happiness first and I can tell that you really do love her. Even if you hurt from this, you are still willing to see it through to the end and are willing to accept what happens. You want her to be okay, even if it's not with you. I think that makes you the kind of man that any woman would be lucky to be with. I've done the same. What some won't understand is when you find that person that you care for, that you just know is right for you, you can't just move on. You have to ride out those feeling, wherever it takes you. I've been criticized for that in the past. But love is something you have to feel your way though. And i respect you for how you are approaching this.
    Heh, well, I'm trying my hardest to suppress my feelings, and I wouldn't go as far to say I "love" someone I've never dated. Granted, I certainly would say that I "love" her as a friend, and that's part of the struggle, because that "love" wants to be something more.

Unless I missed something, I don't think she ever turned you down.
    Technically, no. In the 5-6 weeks since she's been single, we've only hung out for one weekend, and it just doesn't seem appropriate to jump at her right now. So, other than making a couple dumb jokes, I haven't actually pursued anything. Still, I know that women typically don't vent about their ex or tell you all about how they're chatting with guys on dating apps, if they'd be open to dating you.

But you need to get these feeling out there. The only way to resolve things is to let it all go. Life has given you a chance at something awesome. It's time to just take a chance. I did once and it didn't work out. I did a second time, and it lead to the greatest moments of my life. Either way, you won't know unless you try. And I agree, you have a great friendship that will survive even if it's not romantic.
    Yeah, I mean, the hardest part right now is trying to suppress and fight off the feelings. I'm trying really hard, but they're fighting back super hard. That's where most of my stress and unrest is coming from, this suppression and this fighting.

I do want to believe that we could have a discussion and still be okay with each other after the fact. But... What if I'm wrong? What if I wouldn't know how to appropriately have that discussion? What if, no matter what I say or how I say it, she just won't be able to wrap her head around me feeling something for her?

At this point, I don't even know the appropriate time. I wouldn't want her to feel like I've been eagerly awaiting an opportunity, but I know she's trying to casually date to get back out there. She also just had another unfortunate occurrence happen to her yesterday that she's going to be sad about for a little while. With everything she's been through in the last month, I feel like me putting her in a position where she'd have to reject her good friend and possibly figure out if she needs to drop me from her life altogether would probably hurt her even more.

I dunno. I just don't want to lose her. Something else that's crept into my mind is, what are the odds I'll be good friends with her next boyfriend? I think we were all pretty lucky that me and her ex got along and had things in common and could be friends. But I'm not so sure that's likely to happen again. Not just because I have feelings. But what if he and I don't have much in common? What if he doesn't like me? What it we don't really get along all that well? What if he doesn't like me talking to her and hanging out with her so much?

I mean, she's explicitly told me that she wants me in her life long term, and I don't think she'd so easily drop me just because some guy tells her to. But I don't think any of this stuff has even occurred to her yet, because she's so used to me getting along with her ex. So, I'm scared, too, because it just doesn't seem super likely to me that her next boyfriend will be all that receptive to me. And I don't know what happens then.

You sound like a good person, so be proud of that. Do what makes you happy. And eventually, be it this girl or someone else, someone will see just how bright of a light is shining in you and will be drawn to that. You'll have everything you've ever dreamed of and more. Just be patient and try not to overthink it my friend. You're on the right path, just have to persevere.
    Maybe. I dunno. I'm not a believer in "the one", and so I think that if there were anyone out there I'd be compatible with, I'd have met at least one or two by now. I'm just really not sure it's in the cards for me.

The thing is, too, I've seen so many people, especially in my family, who end up in relationships where there's really no love, and it was just a matter of "This person is good enough, I guess", and that just seems so... Sad, and bleak, to me. Like, they're only with each other because being with someone is better than being alone.

Because of how hard it is for me to ever connect with anyone, I feel like it's much more likely that I end up going the way of the rest of my family. Ending up with someone just for the sake of having someone instead of no one. I don't want that, but... I also don't want to be alone forever, and it doesn't feel likely that true love is in the cards for me, from what I can see.

So, we hung out again, and I still get pretty platonic vibes, and she still talked a bit about guys she's chatting with and going on dates with. The thing is... Hearing more about some other friendships she currently has with other guys, I'm starting to think that *maybe* I could talk to her and we could still be okay.

Like, she has this other guy friend that she said has told her he had a crush on her multiple times, usually while drunk. And she's friendly with him, though she seems to see him as a "maybe". Like, she'll keep hanging out with him if he pursues it, but she's not gung-ho about him to want it to happen.

So... Maybe she's not really that phased by guy friends having crushes and stuff on her, and maybe we could chat about it and it could still be okay after. But, she did also basically imply that I'm one of the two closest people in her life that she knows she can always count on to be there for her. So, maybe being that close would make things more difficult to talk about...

I really don't know. I feel like maybe I really should try to talk about it next time we hang out, because I just have this feeling that the window of opportunity is starting to close.

Unfortunately this sounds like the male-girlfriend zone. Harder to get out of than the friendzone. Guard your heart.
    Originally Posted by SonicHighway
    she has this other guy friend that she said has told her he had a crush on her multiple times, usually while drunk. And she's friendly with him, though she seems to see him as a "maybe". Like, she'll keep hanging out with him if he pursues it, but she's not gung-ho about him to want it to happen.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Unfortunately this sounds like the male-girlfriend zone. Harder to get out of than the friendzone. Guard your heart.
    Do you mean what that other guy is in? Since that's the part you quoted? I guess. I mean, she seems open to going on dates with him if he pursues it, but he flip flops on her and sends her mixed signals, and she's not overly concerned about whether they actually date or just hang out as friends.

So, I just mean, if she's at least open to dating him, but will still be friends with him, then perhaps I could talk to her, and see if she'd be open to me? I don't know. Just thinking.

Platinum Member
    She's sharing all these details because she sees you as a friend with no potential for more. I also think she likes that these guys have crushes on her and to me it sounds like she's bragging about it to you.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    She's sharing all these details because she sees you as a friend with no potential for more. I also think she likes that these guys have crushes on her and to me it sounds like she's bragging about it to you.
    I really don't get the sense she's "bragging" to me, or anything like that. It's just, I think this stuff is really the main thing going on in her life, at the moment, so it's what's on her mind for discussion the most.

I can't say one way or another for sure whether I think she'd be open to me. I mean, I certainly agree that she doesn't seem to see me in that way right now, but is it not possible she's simply never thought about it because she never thought I, myself, would express the interest? In a manner of speaking, I did technically have to "friend zone" her for the majority of the time we knew each other, since she was in a committed relationship, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible that she's not considering me simply because she doesn't realize it would be an option.

Just say something already. This limbo you're keeping yourself in is kind of hard to understand.

I think you're afraid she'll say "no" so you'd rather stay in limbo. But it makes no sense.

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice