Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Your fiancée has said it is up to you, so why do you think she will be upset if you decide on a different venue (other than an island off Africa).

" Or do I say no to the location and upset my wife to be and ruin her perfect wedding?"

Did she mean something else by "it's up to you"?

The location is where her parents went on their honeymoon over 30 years ago, so it’s more sentimental to her.

She has always left it as ‘if you’re happy to get married with you family, if not.. it’s up to you’

Then why don't you go on your honeymoon there rather than burden and exclude guests and family? Is there a significant financial disparity between you and her or your family and hers?
    Originally Posted by Help2020
    The location is where her parents went on their honeymoon over 30 years ago, so it’s more sentimental to her.

I see OP.

So, it is not actually "up to you" as regards Mauritius? No debate as regards the venue?

Well, you know, a couple of years can change circumstances so much. We can't foretell the future. Things happen, some good, some not so good.

And yes, there's a thought, what Wiseman said. Just go on your honeymoon there.

Originally Posted by Help2020

She has always left it as ‘if you’re happy to get married with you family, if not.. it’s up to you’
    So again, your fiance is actually being sensible and reasonable, you are the one creating drama out of nothing.

The location might be sentimental to her parents, but what on earth does it have to do with her? Nothing. Again, sounds like you are over dramatizing things.

That said, the simple compromise solution is have your wedding where your families can all attend and go on the honeymoon to Mauritius if it's really that critical. Problem solved.

We have mentioned this, but she would prefer it all in Mauritius. She is from a very wealthy family grew up in houses with maids. Whereas I grew up in an council estate where my mum struggled to feed us all.

She is not snobby and she doesn’t take money for granted, her family do not gift her everything like hand outs which is good.

And even then they offered to pay for some of my family, to which they did not view as charity which was nice.

She is the only daughter so she and her parents would be gutted to not be their on her wedding day

Have two weddings....I know a lot of people who chose to have a small destination wedding/honeymoon, then came home to have a more formal one. For you, you can do the opposite. Have your main wedding there, then have a nice lower budget backyard wedding for your family and others that couldn't attend.

I thought so, OP!

"she would prefer it all in Mauritius. "

From the get go I got the impression this is a "status" thing.

"She is the only daughter so she and her parents would be gutted to not be their (there) on her wedding day"

"There" meaning Mauritius? Yes?

So, she isn't leaving it up to you. I also read what you said about your mother's ill-health and that she cannot travel for those reasons. And your Mum struggled to raise you all, and IMHO she deserves to be able to attend the wedding and since she cannot travel this wealthy family should show some understanding and have the wedding in a convenient venue (as upmarket as they like) .

LOL I get the impression, Smackie, that her family wouldn't be much into backyard weddings!

This is about "impressing". Believe me.

Just a suggestion....if they can afford to have two formal weddings then have at it.

Platinum Member
    Why can't the kids come?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice