No consideration.

alycat0294

Why would he do that? That is completely heartless and cruel. I would leave him. There is no way I could live with this. On many levels. Lack of consideration to me being the main one.

But what is going on with you? You question if you have the right to be mad?

There's not enough context to the story. If the cat was being mistreated or the conditions were not good, I think the answer is fairly obvious and the cat should be in a better home.

Are there also any allergies involved? I know it's hurtful but keeping the cat if either of you are allergic or the cat isn't receiving adequate care doesn't make sense either.

Both of you should have talked about this. He shouldn't have made a unanimous decision without you. I'm very sorry.

Why would your BF do that? Who did he give it away to?

Do you live together? How many pets do you have and what is your understanding about each other's pets?

Go get the cat back .

He gave him to a lady who already has so many cats that lives a few houses down. We had a discussion about how he was lonely and i suggested getting another cat, which I’m sure is why he gave him away. We have 3 dogs and the cat, all very well taken care of. I just feel as if he should’ve told me he didn’t want another cat instead of giving simba away.

Why would he do that? That is completely heartless and cruel. I would leave him. There is no way I could live with this. On many levels. Lack of consideration to me being the main one.

But what is going on with you? You question if you have the right to be mad?

I usually wouldn’t, but I was made to feel like it was “silly” to be upset, but my animals are like my children so this just drew the line for me! We talked about how he was lonely (a conversation he brought up) and I mentioned getting another cat, he didn’t want another but instead of telling me so, he gave him away.

No you are not wrong to be mad. In fact you should be mad enough to get rid of this fiance. This man is no good at all and what he did is beyond wrong, it's completely unacceptable, so unacceptable that I'd end the relationship in your shoes.

I have my cat and we’re staying with my mom for a while. Apparently his reasoning was that he didn’t want another cat which we had discussed, I feel like there was more that could have been done before giving away something he knew was like my child. Lack of communication is a big thing here, and until it’s either straightened out or whatever.. I’ll be at my moms.

Both of you need to decide if you're on the same page with having animals. Animals are animals and pets are pets. You either have room for them or are responsible pet-owners or you aren't. I wouldn't suggest being with someone who isn't on the same page about it. And a great deal of people prefer NOT to have pets. That is fine also.

It sounds more like he's fed up of having pets and he's entitled to that. He may even be fed up of you deflecting issues in the relationship and distracting yourself with animals when what he's looking for is more commitment and interest from you as a partner. I'm not making excuses for him. There is no excuse for what he did. Giving an animal away without your consent is rude and unacceptable. All levels of disrespect there.

Did you both move in together too quickly? What was the relationship like before pets became an issue? Do you have any arguments?

That would make me leave.

Same here. It's a fact well-known by anyone who knows me for longer than five minutes that my cats are just about the most important things in the world to me. I would choose my cats over a significant other in a heartbeat (then again, no romantic prospect would last five seconds in my life if they expressed a dislike for my cats or even hinted that I should get rid of them, so...)

I'm curious to know WHY he got rid of the cat, though I'm 100% certain the explanation would not change my answer in any way whatsoever.

Edited to add: OK, you've explained his "reasoning," and I stick with my original answer. His thought process is ridiculous. Obviously, he doesn't like cats, and it's clear you love your cat. I recommend you stay at your mom's for good -- at least until you can find your own place. Please, please re-think marrying this guy.

I usually wouldn’t, but I was made to feel like it was “silly” to be upset, but my animals are like my children so this just drew the line for me! We talked about how he was lonely (a conversation he brought up) and I mentioned getting another cat, he didn’t want another but instead of telling me so, he gave him away.
OP, this opens a bigger can of worms.

What kind of logic does this man have or does he lack any kind of sense??

What bill of goods are you buying?

Serious questions.

Go get your cat!

Neither of us are allergic, we just recently had a conversation about how he was lonely, which he brought up.. I suggested getting another cat and so he got rid of him.

This makes no sense whatsoever. I sense there’s more information Behind it. Either way, that cat belongs to you.

There are also studies on domestic abuse about a partner/spouse getting rid of pets Or holding them hostage before abusing. Has that man abused you in any way? Physical, verbal, emotional, economically?

Archived