Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swimming Safety Argument

Talking at him yet again won't be helpful, nor will sending over the police, fire dept, emts, whatever. The Only thing that works when it comes to your kids safety is being there yourself and supervising them yourself. Making sure they have vests on at all time.

They are your kids too, no? Actions. Your actions. Leading by example, not passive nagging, chronic arguing, etc. this is your kids lives not leaving the toilet seat up.
    Originally Posted by TownsendLife
    I have reminded my husband of this several times and it always seems like a source of contention.

I come to pick up the husband and kids and find him on the deck with his friend and the girls along with their friends about 200 yards out in the middle of the lake.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    As someone who almost drowned twice as a child due to my fatherís ignorance and neglect they NEED life jackets.

I'm a mother of two sons so I understand how you feel.

No, you're not over reacting. I'm very much a "Mama Bear" and always will be! Life jackets are a must. My sons wore inflatable floaties on their upper arms for a long time despite numerous swim lessons and access to swimming pools every summer.

My younger sister was drowning when my mother and her friend were chatting at poolside. While the rest of us kids were frolicking in the water at the shallow end, my sister went under and struggled to come up for air. My mother plucked her out of the pool and saved her life. Then another time when my family was on vacation, my sister fell overboard from the dock where the sailboats were. She went under the dock and into the murky, dark water. Again, my mother reached under the dock and plucked my sister out of the dark, algae water and saved her life yet again.

Insist upon life jackets for your kids no matter how unpopular you are. Life jackets will save your children's lives! Always listen to your common sense and intuition because it's always right! Life jacket wearing is non-negotiable.

And, I agree, never rely on anyone else but you to ensure your children's safety. Only a mother will guarantee your girls' safety. I remember when my boys were little and other mothers and parents reassured me that they would watch my kids for me while I stepped away to the restroom. I wasn't convinced and my instincts told me otherwise. Nonetheless, I dragged my kids with me wherever I went no matter how unpopular I was. I dragged them to the restroom with me and then we went returned to the pool TOGETHER and all was well. My peace of mind is priceless. Only a mother's vigilant, endless and constant "Eagle Eyes" will save her children's lives. No one else. I've learned this instinctive lesson from my dear mother.

Would you be able to live with yourself if something were to happen to your children while not wearing a life jacket in the water? I'd fight tooth and nail for their safety and well being. You're not being unreasonable, you're being a responsible parent.

I live by the water and own a kayak and wave runner. My parents have a mother boat and always have them stored on their boat. I was also a lifeguard and was on the swim team in school.

Weather can change very rapidly while on the water. I have nearly drowned once on my waverunner while riding 3 ft waves and have had my kayak tip. What saved me was wearing my life preserver.

In April of this year two family members of the Kennedys took a canoe out onto the water (30 mins away from me) to retrieve a beach ball. Waves were rough and 2 feet high. They did not wear life vests and they both drowned. Made national news. I have watched state troopers in helicopters and boats trying to look and recover their bodies (found on the bottom after a week of the incident).

Please wear life preservers.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Snny
    I live by the water and own a kayak and wave runner. My parents have a mother boat and always have them stored on their boat. I was also a lifeguard and was on the swim team in school.

Weather can change very rapidly while on the water. I have nearly drowned once on my waverunner while riding 3 ft waves and have had my kayak tip. What saved me was wearing my life preserver.

In April of this year two family members of the Kennedys took a canoe out onto the water (30 mins away from me) to retrieve a beach ball. Waves were rough and 2 feet high. They did not wear life vests and they both drowned. Made national news. I have watched state troopers in helicopters and boats trying to look and recover their bodies (found on the bottom after a week of the incident).

Please wear life preservers.
    Yes. All of this and I am no expert. Just an observer. I mean not a great example but I still remember 15 years ago being overcome by a really strong wave that came out of nowhere (ocean, not deep water, yes I can swim) - I was ok -not close to drowning- but it knocked the wind out of me and honestly my then boyfriend's young nephew had to "save" me (again in shallow water for him) - but it reminded me how suddenly things can change.

I don't have an Uncle because seat belts weren't fully in use yet (1940's) and he died in a car crash.

I also know someone who recently had to rescue their son in a swimming pool from drowning when grandpa passed out in the pool and died himself.
    That parent didn't think there was any risk with Grandpa swimming with him, the parent learned her lesson the hard way.

Seatbelts save lives
    Bicycle helmets save lives
    Driving sober saves lives
    Life jackets most certainly also save lives.

Anyone who neglects these safety measures are eventually going to die or get seriously injured, and mostly because of ignorance and laziness and trying to save face or look "cool"
    Utterly stupid.
    Nothing bothers me more than someone who has equipment that will save a life and doesn't use it.
    Insist with him and the kids that they must wear the lifejackets. No lifejacket, no lake. Period.

I almost drowned in a rip current without a life jacket. There was no one to rescue me. Neither the lifeguard nor the family saw me struggling in sheer panic from the shoreline. I felt suffocated from extremely strong wave after wave pummeling me relentlessly. It was a normal, sunny day, too. I couldn't come up for air. The water felt overwhelmingly heavy on top of me and I thought I was going to die.

Wear a life preserver or life jacket. Never let your guard down. Better safe than sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice