Need advice/opinions

quark

Okay, so maybe I shouldn't even be thinking about this yet, because who knows if I'll even receive a job offer, but I just want to be ready to give a decision if I'm contacted.

So, I've been unemployed since mid March. Covid related. I was in the restaurant industry for the bulk of my life, I started out waitressing, then bartending and eventually management. For various reasons, I am looking to leave the industry behind and follow a new path. The goal is to find a way to build a new career using whatever skills I possess from my time in restaurants. I need advice and opinions because I am already having mixed feelings about this doctor office position that I applied to.

PROS: very competitive hourly wage

definite room for growth and possible paid schooling if I have the drive

>15 min away from where I live

parking is easy and free.

CONS:

they acted a little strange when I asked why the position was available, saying it was "personal", "confidential", etc.

after my interview I received a text at 8:30pm asking if I was available the next day to come in and shadow/observe..now, I feel this is somewhat unprofessional to contact someone so late

the girls in the office literally laughed out loud when I told them doc said he might be hard to work for

the person training me said she spent 10 hours there on her first unpaid day (similar to my shadow/observation) .. similarly, what I thought would be 3 hours turned into 6

they also said that work days can go late sometimes, where you will be there until 7:30pm

the girls described that communication is tough with the doc, like he needs a mind-reader

i experienced this first hand, when the doc texted me about attire without any preceding messages. confused, i asked if he wanted me to come in a second time? i received a text back at 10pm on a sunday night that he had texted the wrong person..

So, I guess I just want some opinions. Honestly..my internal voice is screaming to run for the hills, that this is going to be a stressful work environment. But, then I start to second guess myself that I should just suck it up because this could be a golden opportunity. Am I being a brat about it? Are these things deal breakers?

This is one of those situations that unfortunately, you really won't know until you are in it.

I have worked in places where the boss is a jerk, the other staff are great. I have also had an excellent boss and employees who were mean back-stabbers.

In my experience many workplaces have these dynamics.

Who knows you could "jive" really well with the boss and the other staff. Personality clashes could be the situation.

So, my advice is:

you are unemployed right now, what have you got to lose? Might be worth a try.

When I read this I come away thinking that you are very, very eager to find a reason not to take this job than to take it. Whether that's a gut read on the specifics of this environment, jitters about changing tracts, or a sly inner saboteur working her voodoo—well, I can't quite say.

In yours shoes, I'd try to see this in a less binary light—not as a potential tsunami of stress or a "golden opportunity," but what it actually is: a job. You don't have one of those, you've written in past threads about the havoc that's created, and you're looking for one during a pretty tough time globally. Those girls at the office? Do remember that, along with their eyebrow-raising sighs and laughter, they walk out of there every day with more money in their pockets than when they walked in. Not nothing, that part.

So, my advice is:

you are unemployed right now, what have you got to lose? Might be worth a try.

I agree with this.

I also agree with, given the first impressions. . this may be rocky ride.

At the same time this is a great opportunity to learn some skills that you can take with you in the event this doesn't work out.

this may be rocky ride.

At the same time this is a great opportunity to learn some skills that you can take with you in the event this doesn't work out.

Very good point reninventmyself. When I quit toxic workplaces, I also learned something about myself, picked up new job skills, learned how to cope with difficult people (huge asset), and sometimes I found friendships with the good people at that workplace.

They sound a bit disorganized and I too would be very wary. I think your gut feelings are correct about this place but you'll do worse if you go into it with a negative mindset.

Give it your best shot, try it and at least you'll have some office experience to add to your resume. This may not be your forever-job or career. It's a stepping stone so if you can keep that in mind, it might help you not feel so nervous about the brevity of it all and accepting something that may turn out to be horrible. Think of the boost to your resume if you can hack this job.

There's one thing I want to mention about what you said about the doc and what he told you (and then in turn what you mentioned to the other staff). Try not to do that. What happens in conversation between you and your boss - keep it confidential. Don't speak about your colleagues to other colleagues or about your boss to other colleagues. Stay as neutral as possible. You don't know them yet or what's going on behind the scenes. Stay on track with the work and keep it simple.

Working for a doctor is tough...just think how tough their job is seeing all these different patients everyday. Being a medical receptionist is for those that like being busy and challenged. It's definitely not a boring job. Doctors can be short with you when they are swamped....BUT they do depend on you to be on your game and think 10 steps ahead. If you are looking for an easy job, then this is not for you. But if you have the energy to take on numerous challenges, then it's a win. You will be helping people and that can be rewarding.

I would listen to my screaming gut. A little hesitation in a new field is reasonable. Screaming run, not reasonable.

All the things you mentioned, sounds like work in a doctor's office. Its busy, fast, hevtic, challenging, important work that impacts a lot of people (patients). Doctors need people that keep up with them, hence the mind reader comment.

The pay is probably good because its hard work.

I would not have an answer ready, if you get an offer. I would have a list of questions ready. This is the last time you are in the driver's seat. Once you are their employee, they call the shots.

I would want to know what their expectations are. It sounds like there isn't much consideration given to your work life balance...

is it normal to work 12 hour days or longer, until 730 at night?

does the doctor/office expect you to be available off hours (texting at 830 pm)?

You really want to know what you're getting yourself into. If you're used to 40 hours a week and this is 52... when will you go to school? that is a great benefit if you get to use it...

It's not like if you took the job that it's set in stone you work there for the rest of your life. You could get the training, skills, and job experience that you could take to another doctor's office after a year or two if you end up not liking the environment. Few people have cushy jobs where there are zero to minor cons. I've always dealt with a roller coaster of changing, mostly toxic management, but my salary, benefits, and retirement package is too good to walk away from, and I do enjoy my job when I'm left alone by them, which does happen on good days.

PROS: very competitive hourly wage

definite room for growth and possible paid schooling if I have the drive

>15 min away from where I live

parking is easy and free.

CONS:

they acted a little strange when I asked why the position was available, saying it was "personal", "confidential", etc.

after my interview I received a text at 8:30pm asking if I was available the next day to come in and shadow/observe..now, I feel this is somewhat unprofessional to contact someone so late

the girls in the office literally laughed out loud when I told them doc said he might be hard to work for

the person training me said she spent 10 hours there on her first unpaid day (similar to my shadow/observation) .. similarly, what I thought would be 3 hours turned into 6

they also said that work days can go late sometimes, where you will be there until 7:30pm

the girls described that communication is tough with the doc, like he needs a mind-reader

i experienced this first hand, when the doc texted me about attire without any preceding messages. confused, i asked if he wanted me to come in a second time? i received a text back at 10pm on a sunday night that he had texted the wrong person..

Are these things deal breakers?

Okay, only YOU know what YOUR OWN deal breakers are. The medical field is extremely stressful, even in a great environment.

As for your cons- Most work places are NOT going to give a specific reason why a role needs to be filled. Unless they offer it - "So and so left to raise her baby"- you shouldn't ask- for most places it violates their confidentiality and ethics codes to say stuff like' The last person was fired for misconduct".

If you hate long or unexpected hours- DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. 8:30 is NOT late by doctor standards. If you work for a doctor, ESP private practice- you can EXPECT late hours and extra shifts. If you don't like that, and you think 8:30 is "late", you may be better off finding work at a typical 9-5 job.

Now, if you feel the coworkers are bashing the job, that may be something to consider. IMVHO, I'd take stuff like that with a grain of salt. A lot of people complain about their jobs, but they also don't leave.

If you're out of work, go ahead and try. If you don't like it, you can always leave. It could give you a taste of what working in this field is really like and to see if it's what you really want.

I don't really see why you wouldn't take the role if offered, unless you just don't want it. And if you don't, that's fine- but own that decision. Nothing is ever perfect, it's all about what you're willing to handle. But only you know that.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have another prospective job with a lower hourly rate, less to really learn and probably a slower rate of growth..but I am really vibing with these people. I can tell the environment will be fun & casual to work in (it's a law office). Assuming they both want to hire me, I have to ask myself..do I want to make money or have fun?

I was just wondering if I should ignore these little gut feelings about this place. Already, I'm getting the impression that doc is hard to work for, he will contact you at all hours of the night for last minute stuff and he will expect you to stay late without hesitation.

Nothing 9 to 5 about bartending. Look, your industry will be hurting for the long haul and for a indefinite amount of time.

Sooner or later you need to consider other options. Maybe not this place per se but you need to start getting experience or training in other fields.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have another prospective job with a lower hourly rate, less to really learn and probably a slower rate of growth..but I am really vibing with these people. I can tell the environment will be fun & casual to work in (it's a law office). Assuming they both want to hire me, I have to ask myself..do I want to make money or have fun?

I was just wondering if I should ignore these little gut feelings about this place. Already, I'm getting the impression that doc is hard to work for, he will contact you at all hours of the night for last minute stuff and he will expect you to stay late without hesitation.

The law office sounds better.

There's no point signing up for something where you last one month or three months and are back at square one.

Go with your instincts on this and measure where you'll be able to last longest also in terms of job security and less burn out. The advantage of this is that you are also less stressed and able to pursue other ideas/pursuits/business on the side and build momentum over time. You'll also gain more confidence overall.

The law office sounds better.

There's no point signing up for something where you last one month or three months and are back at square one.

Go with your instincts on this and measure where you'll be able to last longest also in terms of job security and less burn out. The advantage of this is that you are also less stressed and able to pursue other ideas/pursuits/business on the side and build momentum over time. You'll also gain more confidence overall.

I agree with this. However if you work in a professional office I'd expect to work hard no matter what. It just might be a friendlier environment.

I'd go with less wage, better environment. You gotta get up and do the job everyday. Dreading work and never knowing when your day will end is a miserable way to live.

I second that.

Since you don't have a good feeling about the first place, I would choose the law office.

Personally, I always chose better environment over money. The reason is, I don't like collaborating with difficult, cantankerous people, let alone working 60 hours per week with them. So far, I haven't regretted it. Sure, you can rent a better place or spend more money on silly things if you earn more but is it worth it if you dread going to work everyday?

I'd go with less wage, better environment. You gotta get up and do the job everyday. Dreading work and never knowing when your day will end is a miserable way to live.

I third this.

I recently left a miserable job full of lying, back-stabbing jerks and BOY has my life improved. I took a new job for slightly less money-- $2K per year, which amounts to less than 7 days worth of work.

My mom worried that it might be a step back, but as my boyfriend put it, "If you were still at your last job, would you pay $2K per year to never have to work with those people again?"

My answer was "YES, and gladly!!"

Of course, this new job has some major quirks, but I am still much happier and the decrease in $$ is hardly noticeable.

I had a chat with my mom, and she agrees that if I am already having a bad feeling about this place, to go with my gut. I don't feel like my significant other is on the same page, though. I'm getting the impression that he still wants me to possibly go for this job that i'm not feeling confident about. He encouraged me to maybe go back for a second work with if I were invited. But I feel like why waste my time there, unpaid, for hours if I've already decided that the doc and I won't click?

As for the law office, the hourly is low enough that I'd pretty much break even on what I'm collecting from unemployment, so I am leery about accepting that position if given to me. But yet, I feel the pressure to just start working so that my S.O. can stop getting on my case. (Even though our finances have not suffered any as a result of my unemployment)

Go if you want interview experience, otherwise go with the job that feels better.

As for the law office, the hourly is low enough that I'd pretty much break even on what I'm collecting from unemployment, so I am leery about accepting that position if given to me. But yet, I feel the pressure to just start working so that my S.O. can stop getting on my case.

Please take the job that you want. Not what your boyfriend wants. You're going to work there. Not him. Please don't take a job to stop someone from annoying you. Why are you choosing to mingle finances with him if he has this sort of attitude?

As for the law office, the hourly is low enough that I'd pretty much break even on what I'm collecting from unemployment, so I am leery about accepting that position if given to me. But yet, I feel the pressure to just start working so that my S.O. can stop getting on my case. (Even though our finances have not suffered any as a result of my unemployment)

Think bigger especially in terms of experience.

There are non-monetary gains with each job also. This is something to consider for long term goals, not just short term.

Both of you may be in for a rougher road ahead if you don't have the same work ethic or long term views when it comes to career or where you see yourself outside of a relationship. Think big.

Please take the job that you want. Not what your boyfriend wants. You're going to work there. Not him. Please don't take a job to stop someone from annoying you. Why are you choosing to mingle finances with him if he has this sort of attitude?

You are very correct in a lot of your statement. I am in the very bad habit of doing what I think he wants me to do just to please him. One of the many problems with acting that way, is that he is not always clear in what he wants me to do/thinks I should do anyway. A lot of problems would just be solved if I took a stance. Yes, there might be some static over a difference of opinion, but atleast I would be free thinking and independent.

Case in point.. shortly after returning from my mom's house, I got a missed call/text from the doc. I knew that it was to offer me the position. I really wanted to text back that I had accepted another job offer or that I was going in a different direction since I had seemingly already made up my mind. At my boyfriend's request I ended up calling him back because my boyfriend wanted me to hear the doctor out, to see if I could get more information, etc. It all ended up falling apart, where I was offered the position, but I panicked and instead of saying that I had other offers and I needed to think it over, I basically said 'ok' and to give me time to check my availability. I don't know why I was incapable of saying I needed to think it over. Maybe it was the doctors tone of voice, like I should be lucky to have been given the offer, or maybe it was his urgency in starting training. But, in the end I felt bullied by both my boyfriend and the doctor!

So, of course it blew up into an argument because boyfriend was upset that I didn't say the right thing. I get upset because I didn't want to talk to the guy in the first place! I ended up texting back with a regretful decline of the position, but boy did I take a serious detour on doing what I had intended to do in the first place.

It is a really crappy time in our relationship right now because he has obvious resentment over my having free time, while he is being drained by his job that he absolutely hates (yet refuses to do anything about. he even had the audacity to say that i should apply for new jobs FOR him because he is just too busy??). The uncertain job market and shifting unemployment benefits have me questioning what my next move should be or what's the right thing to do.

Archived