Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice/opinions

It's not like if you took the job that it's set in stone you work there for the rest of your life. You could get the training, skills, and job experience that you could take to another doctor's office after a year or two if you end up not liking the environment. Few people have cushy jobs where there are zero to minor cons. I've always dealt with a roller coaster of changing, mostly toxic management, but my salary, benefits, and retirement package is too good to walk away from, and I do enjoy my job when I'm left alone by them, which does happen on good days.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by quark

PROS: very competitive hourly wage
    definite room for growth and possible paid schooling if I have the drive
    >15 min away from where I live
    parking is easy and free.

CONS:
    they acted a little strange when I asked why the position was available, saying it was "personal", "confidential", etc.
    after my interview I received a text at 8:30pm asking if I was available the next day to come in and shadow/observe..now, I feel this is somewhat unprofessional to contact someone so late
    the girls in the office literally laughed out loud when I told them doc said he might be hard to work for
    the person training me said she spent 10 hours there on her first unpaid day (similar to my shadow/observation) .. similarly, what I thought would be 3 hours turned into 6
    they also said that work days can go late sometimes, where you will be there until 7:30pm
    the girls described that communication is tough with the doc, like he needs a mind-reader
    i experienced this first hand, when the doc texted me about attire without any preceding messages. confused, i asked if he wanted me to come in a second time? i received a text back at 10pm on a sunday night that he had texted the wrong person..

Are these things deal breakers?

Okay, only YOU know what YOUR OWN deal breakers are. The medical field is extremely stressful, even in a great environment.

As for your cons- Most work places are NOT going to give a specific reason why a role needs to be filled. Unless they offer it - "So and so left to raise her baby"- you shouldn't ask- for most places it violates their confidentiality and ethics codes to say stuff like' The last person was fired for misconduct".
    If you hate long or unexpected hours- DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. 8:30 is NOT late by doctor standards. If you work for a doctor, ESP private practice- you can EXPECT late hours and extra shifts. If you don't like that, and you think 8:30 is "late", you may be better off finding work at a typical 9-5 job.

Now, if you feel the coworkers are bashing the job, that may be something to consider. IMVHO, I'd take stuff like that with a grain of salt. A lot of people complain about their jobs, but they also don't leave.

If you're out of work, go ahead and try. If you don't like it, you can always leave. It could give you a taste of what working in this field is really like and to see if it's what you really want.
    I don't really see why you wouldn't take the role if offered, unless you just don't want it. And if you don't, that's fine- but own that decision. Nothing is ever perfect, it's all about what you're willing to handle. But only you know that.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I have another prospective job with a lower hourly rate, less to really learn and probably a slower rate of growth..but I am really vibing with these people. I can tell the environment will be fun & casual to work in (it's a law office). Assuming they both want to hire me, I have to ask myself..do I want to make money or have fun?
    I was just wondering if I should ignore these little gut feelings about this place. Already, I'm getting the impression that doc is hard to work for, he will contact you at all hours of the night for last minute stuff and he will expect you to stay late without hesitation.

Nothing 9 to 5 about bartending. Look, your industry will be hurting for the long haul and for a indefinite amount of time.
    Sooner or later you need to consider other options. Maybe not this place per se but you need to start getting experience or training in other fields.

Originally Posted by quark
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I have another prospective job with a lower hourly rate, less to really learn and probably a slower rate of growth..but I am really vibing with these people. I can tell the environment will be fun & casual to work in (it's a law office). Assuming they both want to hire me, I have to ask myself..do I want to make money or have fun?
    I was just wondering if I should ignore these little gut feelings about this place. Already, I'm getting the impression that doc is hard to work for, he will contact you at all hours of the night for last minute stuff and he will expect you to stay late without hesitation.
    The law office sounds better.

There's no point signing up for something where you last one month or three months and are back at square one.

Go with your instincts on this and measure where you'll be able to last longest also in terms of job security and less burn out. The advantage of this is that you are also less stressed and able to pursue other ideas/pursuits/business on the side and build momentum over time. You'll also gain more confidence overall.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    The law office sounds better.

There's no point signing up for something where you last one month or three months and are back at square one.

Go with your instincts on this and measure where you'll be able to last longest also in terms of job security and less burn out. The advantage of this is that you are also less stressed and able to pursue other ideas/pursuits/business on the side and build momentum over time. You'll also gain more confidence overall.
    I agree with this. However if you work in a professional office I'd expect to work hard no matter what. It just might be a friendlier environment.

I'd go with less wage, better environment. You gotta get up and do the job everyday. Dreading work and never knowing when your day will end is a miserable way to live.

I worked in the restaurant industry when I was younger. Making that leap to a corporate or office atmosphere isn't always a straight line when you don't have the pratical experience.

I would go whereever you are likely to learn the most marketable and the most valuable skills.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Lambert
    I'd go with less wage, better environment. You gotta get up and do the job everyday. Dreading work and never knowing when your day will end is a miserable way to live.
    I second that.

Since you don't have a good feeling about the first place, I would choose the law office.

Personally, I always chose better environment over money. The reason is, I don't like collaborating with difficult, cantankerous people, let alone working 60 hours per week with them. So far, I haven't regretted it. Sure, you can rent a better place or spend more money on silly things if you earn more but is it worth it if you dread going to work everyday?

Originally Posted by Lambert
    I third this.

I recently left a miserable job full of lying, back-stabbing jerks and BOY has my life improved. I took a new job for slightly less money-- $2K per year, which amounts to less than 7 days worth of work.

My mom worried that it might be a step back, but as my boyfriend put it, "If you were still at your last job, would you pay $2K per year to never have to work with those people again?"

My answer was "YES, and gladly!!"

Of course, this new job has some major quirks, but I am still much happier and the decrease in $$ is hardly noticeable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice