Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best strategy to get out of rut

Bronze Member

Best strategy to get out of rut

Hello folks. I'm 45 and live in LA. I currently have a photography business but unfortunately I'm hardly making money in it to sustain a decent living.
    Heck, even my girlfriend dumped me just last week due to the fact that she thinks I'm a bum and not hustling enough, but I'm honestly doing my best but it's just not good enough. I suppose
    I lost a lot of motivation and sorta stopped trying. I've paid for ads, gone B2B, created a website, facebook business page, yelp, youtube channel, but it's still not working.
    I do have a couple repeat client, but pretty much I'm just getting like 1 or 2 clients a month. This is pitiful. I've lost all motivation to go on to be honest. I've been completely demoralized.
    I always find myself so envious of successful people because I look at them and think "How the hell did they do it?"I guess this is why I'm struggling because I'm too negative or awful at being a business owner.
    So I've been strongly considering just dropping this dream to have my own business and go into something else, perhaps working for someone, or to go get a certificate of some sort.
    I dunno. Fyi, my work history is absolutely godawful. With my current work experience I don't think any decent company in their right mind would want to hire me.
    I've always been sorta on my own, at least in the last 7 to 8 years. So ya, I'm just really, really desperate now and overwhelmed with grief. This is so awful, my god.
    Any-hoot, any bit of advice would help or if you know any companies in Los Angeles willing to hire, please let me know. I know this is a long shot but worth asking.

Thank you and God bless.

I decided to relocate to another state and leave an excellent job to do so when I was 44. I moved there with no job and only about $1000.00 in the bank. I found a decent job, then another one and then another one, then when I was 48 I moved back! Again, left a good job and was unemployed and pretty much broke and in a TON of debt with a credit score in the low 500's. It took me 3 months to find a minimum wage part time job, then I ended up getting hired on to the company I'm with currently. I literally started at the very bottom (again, I was 48 years old) as basically a laborer. All my years of administrative experience didn't do me a darn bit of good. I worked as hard as I could and did my best to convince management that while I wasn't the most physically efficient laborer I DID have leadership skills. Today I am a manager making $30,000.00 a year more than I was when I started.

I had to swallow my pride and forget about all my years of experience to just take what I could get. And it turned out to be a great move for me.

I'm currently on leave from my job due to some mental health issues (not caused by the company or my position in it) but I feel fortunate that I was able to start over at a pretty advanced age and make something of it.

I presume you are healthy and you are not old by any means. If you can envision yourself starting over but view it as an opportunity instead of as a failure, you never know what's in front of you.

Is there any way you can get a job as a photographer's assistant or as a staff photographer somewhere? At least get your foot in the door of a company so you can continue to pursue your dream?

Maybe you could do photography part time or one the side while working somewhere else? It might not be ideal but if you really want to make your own business your primary source of income you must do just that. find a way to make money.

Do you take portraits, do events, landscapes? With covid it's hard to drum up business I'm sure. Anyone owning a business that is hoping to stay profitable during the pandemic, needs to find a new strategy. Even if it's not what you want. You gotta adapt.

What are some of things you've been thinking of?

I'm sorry to hear this. You just have to get out of it. No strategy needed. Find a job that pays the bills and any outstanding debts, have the debts consolidated if you can.

Photography may have to take a backseat indefinitely or be paused for awhile. Know when it's time to pull back and cut your losses, at least for the time being. I think you know what you need to do.

I'm curious about the grief you were mentioning. Is that grief from the relationship or from things not going so well with your business? What's paused now doesn't mean it has to be paused forever. Hold onto that grief idea if possible because you may be lamenting something that is not dead or gone or mixing it up with the break up of your relationship.

Photography won't ever be gone. If you have the talent it's always with you and you'll be able to pick it up again. Try prioritizing what needs to be done first, get it out of the way and when you have the time and resources again, go back to what you love to do. The business can carry on part time also. Be flexible and you'll get through this. Good luck.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    I'm sorry to hear this. You just have to get out of it. No strategy needed. Find a job that pays the bills and any outstanding debts, have the debts consolidated if you can.

Photography may have to take a backseat indefinitely or be paused for awhile. Know when it's time to pull back and cut your losses, at least for the time being. I think you know what you need to do.

I'm curious about the grief you were mentioning. Is that grief from the relationship or from things not going so well with your business? What's paused now doesn't mean it has to be paused forever. Hold onto that grief idea if possible because you may be lamenting something that is not dead or gone or mixing it up with the break up of your relationship.

Photography won't ever be gone. If you have the talent it's always with you and you'll be able to pick it up again. Try prioritizing what needs to be done first, get it out of the way and when you have the time and resources again, go back to what you love to do. The business can carry on part time also. Be flexible and you'll get through this. Good luck.
    Well, the breakup was a wake up call, to be honest. I was planning on riding this wave out until the beginning of next year with the hopes that I can somehow get more clients between that time.
    But now with this whole Covid-19 resurgence that really dampened my plans. I got super busy couple weeks ago out of nowhere, but of course back then the lock-down wasn't in place.
    My ex was an ex from 4 years ago and we were having issues but her seeing me not working for a couple weeks must've scared her because she was under the impression I was full time,
    so ya, she caught on to it and broke up with me a few days ago. I'm just super, duper bummed. I really loved her, even though we were having issues.
    I knew in the back of my head she was going to do this eventually because she always emphasized the importance of her companions have a career.
    So I knew my days were numbered with her. Her breaking up with me really made me panic because I dream of falling in love, getting married,
    buying a condo and just live the rest of my life in peace. This is all I want, nothing more. Please pray for me guys and I'll make sure to pray
    for anyone out there who needs it because we really need to help each other out in these awful times.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    I decided to relocate to another state and leave an excellent job to do so when I was 44. I moved there with no job and only about $1000.00 in the bank. I found a decent job, then another one and then another one, then when I was 48 I moved back! Again, left a good job and was unemployed and pretty much broke and in a TON of debt with a credit score in the low 500's. It took me 3 months to find a minimum wage part time job, then I ended up getting hired on to the company I'm with currently. I literally started at the very bottom (again, I was 48 years old) as basically a laborer. All my years of administrative experience didn't do me a darn bit of good. I worked as hard as I could and did my best to convince management that while I wasn't the most physically efficient laborer I DID have leadership skills. Today I am a manager making $30,000.00 a year more than I was when I started.

I had to swallow my pride and forget about all my years of experience to just take what I could get. And it turned out to be a great move for me.

I'm currently on leave from my job due to some mental health issues (not caused by the company or my position in it) but I feel fortunate that I was able to start over at a pretty advanced age and make something of it.

I presume you are healthy and you are not old by any means. If you can envision yourself starting over but view it as an opportunity instead of as a failure, you never know what's in front of you.

Is there any way you can get a job as a photographer's assistant or as a staff photographer somewhere? At least get your foot in the door of a company so you can continue to pursue your dream?
    That's really awesome that you turned things around for you. Congratulations. Gives me hope!

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse

I agree with what you said, which is why I'm searching for something new for the time being. Please pray for me and I'll pray for anything you've been in need of.

Almost all public agencies I know (I work for one) has a Media Affairs department, or an External Affairs Department, in the private sector there is Marketing Graphics Department, where your skill is absolutey required! Try to sign up with a head hunter to explore opportunities while not completely abandoning your passion. Hunt for anything that will showcase your talent, specially in the online spectrum where WE all turn to these days. I am absolutely certain you will find one. On the interim, just get whatever is available to get you updated with your bills and stuff.

This may be hurtful but my Mom once told me, when there is no $, love flies out of the window. Having had an ex who simply did not want to keep a job and raising small kids, it happened..in my case. Love flew out and running. Financial independence empowers you. Try to be there, not only to be treated better by others, but also for you to feel good about you.

Originally Posted by JustinPonders
    I agree with what you said, which is why I'm searching for something new for the time being. Please pray for me and I'll pray for anything you've been in need of.
    Yes, I will. Keep the faith, Justin. Wishing you good luck with the search. If you have questions also on companies and the interview process, I'm sure the forum can chip in on some ideas and insight.

Platinum Member
    You're on my brother's poverty-stricken path, just 20 years behind him. He tried and tried for his entire life to wring out a buck as a photographer.

it never really panned out for him. His best gigs were school pictures and a wedding chapel.

All fizzled despite he being a really talented photographer.

I would recommend getting a profession that pays decent wages and make your interest in photography to be an avocation or hobby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice