LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel i am living in a story.

I feel i am living in a story.

Everything around me doesn't feel real. It's as if all of it is happening in my mind. I am imagining everything and am not living in present. I am not able to differentiate between reality and imagination. Is there a chance that i have ADHD or fantasy prone personality? If i get to know about it a bit, I'll see a doctor. But before i want to know if these are symptoms of ADHD or any other disorder??
    I have read that ADHD mostly happens to those who fantasize things in their childhood. And same is the case with me. I used to fantasize a lot because i was addicted to fictional novels. If you have any other questions, you may ask. Because i want to know what is this?

Platinum Member
    That doesn't really sound like ADHD but maybe more like Derealisation or disassociation. What other things do you experience and how does it feel? Can you describe more? Have you talked to a psychiatrist?

Originally Posted by Tinydance
    That doesn't really sound like ADHD but maybe more like Derealisation or disassociation. What other things do you experience and how does it feel? Can you describe more? Have you talked to a psychiatrist?
    I don't experience anything other than this. I feel like everything is a story and that i am not living in a present. Even if i remind myself ' this is a reality', I don't feel it. As a kid, i made lot of fantasy stories in my mind. I read novels and imagined them in my mind. That is why i am having hard time to differentiate between reality and fantasy. No, I haven't talked to a psychiatrist yet. I want to know if this problem is serious or i will get normal after some time. I think this isn't a very severe problem because it hasn't really affected me. I'll contact a doctor if it seems serious.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by 1imaan1
    I don't experience anything other than this. I feel like everything is a story and that i am not living in a present. Even if i remind myself ' this is a reality', I don't feel it. As a kid, i made lot of fantasy stories in my mind. I read novels and imagined them in my mind. That is why i am having hard time to differentiate between reality and fantasy. No, I haven't talked to a psychiatrist yet. I want to know if this problem is serious or i will get normal after some time. I think this isn't a very severe problem because it hasn't really affected me. I'll contact a doctor if it seems serious.
    Could be maladaptive daydreaming. But really you need to talk to a doctor, psychiatrist or psychologist about it. If it's anything it needs to be diagnosed by a professional. Most mental health conditions are treatable. Does this distress you? How does it affect your life? I'm not saying you have it, but this is what I meant:

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/maladaptive-daydreaming
    Last edited by Tinydance; 07-26-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Platinum Member
    Sounds like a milder Dpdr. Depersonalisation/Derealization. An horrific condition to live with when it becomes chronic. . Had it for a few years. Made me want to end things.

Give it a Google and see how closely it resembles your condition.

Regardless seek professional help to get the help you need.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ninjabib
    Sounds like a milder Dpdr. Depersonalisation/Derealization. An horrific condition to live with when it becomes chronic. . Had it for a few years. Made me want to end things.

Give it a Google and see how closely it resembles your condition.

Regardless seek professional help to get the help you need.
    I have DP/DR constantly the last two years. I used to get it only occasionally from stress or tiredness. I had a difficult childhood and got bullied badly at school. In 2018 I did maybe too much MDMA and it started to be literally 24/7. Definitely horrible.

But imagining stories in your mind may be maladaptive daydreaming. Or might be not a disorder at all but just vivid imagination.

You should talk to your doctor who may suggest a therapist.

The symptoms are kind of maladaptive daydreaming ones but idk. Some symptoms are of derealisation as well. I don't deliberately sit and fantasize rather it just comes to my mind while doing everyday tasks. But I'll try to seek any help from professionals.

Perfectly normal teenage daydreaming. Not "symptoms".

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Perfectly normal teenage daydreaming. Not "symptoms".
    Hmm... I think the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice