Find Motivation/Lacking Energy

Silentlyfor

Hi folks. I've been trying to find the motivation to work on a few projects of mine: a book, a podcast, voice acting, etc. It's easy to get a move on most of these projects when I have free time. However, I now have a 9 to 5 job that takes a lot of my energy away leaving me exhausted pushing away the possibility of using mental resources to get any significant work done on any of these projects. I very much want to find a way to come away from a long shift with enough energy intact to be able to make progress in any side project I want.

Are there any fellow hobbyists or creatives out there with similar issues? If so, how do you deal with them? Do you find that different hobbies, side-projects or side-hussles take varying amounts of energy? If so, how do you deal that particular challenge?

I had a long term boyfriend who worked way more than 9 to 5 and had a creative passion for a certain backstage type of technical design (live theater). He did both. He sometimes got little sleep when he was working on a big production/show but he also took a year away from his main career to go to another coast and work on film related projects (again, he was theater but he wanted to expand and he had an opportunity to do this for no or little pay so he took a one year sabbatical).

He made the time because it was his passion and while he "liked" his main career it wasn't his passion. I know and have worked with many different types of artists even though I am not one and I don't think it has to do with a certain amount of energy -energy is almost boundless when you have that drive. Time -yes -of course there are only 24 hours in a day -but have you taken an inventory of how you are spending the time where you're not at work 9 to 5? I also think the "mental resources" is more of an excuse. Also ask yourself are these things you feel you "should' be doing or are you really passionate about them?

Energy begets energy in my experience -sometimes taking a break and doing a 20 minute or more cardio intensive walk or run can really help create more energy and alertness.

Also I highly recommend Martha Beck's writings on this type of issue/subject.

Good luck!

It takes time to adjust to a different workload. You'll learn to manage your time better and prioritize the more you get a hang of things.

Stick with a manageable schedule for yourself while you're adjusting and work yourself up to more tasks as you gain momentum. For ie, start the book for a week and give it your undivided attention. Once the book ideas or the draft is solid, incorporate a podcast. You might avoid being repetitive and feeling like you're running out of material. By the time you're at the podcast, you can practice loosening up the concepts you were talking about in the book in a more digestible way for listeners.

Eventually you'll crave those different parts of your day and the different things you do. As you gain that momentum also, you'll probably find yourself multi-tasking.

Enjoy and give it time!

I schedule my days and weeks. I take good care of my health. Ever since I focused on myself, I don't require much sleep any more. I can get by on 5 hours of sleep per night and still feel terrific upon awaking. I'm not tired, dragging nor fatigued anymore. :smug: I feel energetic, positive minded and have more enthusiasm to do what brings me joy such as exercise, hobbies, cooking with my husband, going on local errands with him and I'm fortune to have a few select close friends.

Motivation comes from a sense of purpose or it does for me anyway. My neighbor across my suburban neighborhood street just had her newborn son less than two weeks ago. Her other son is only 16 months old! :eek: She and her husband are sleep deprived. I've since delivered three home cooked dinners, sides and desserts to their house along with diapers, wipes, toddler food, toys and gifts for the toddler and newborn. I put everything in a big cardboard box, ring their doorbell, walk away quickly, wave to them from afar when they open their door and walk back to my house.

I enjoy doing things for others, however, on my terms. I don't like strict schedules when I want to do something for someone else. I prefer my freedom and doing random acts of kindness. If it's expected of me on a strict timeline, then the joy quickly vanishes straight of my soul. In other words, I prefer to march to the beat of my own drum. :smug:

My hobbies are sewing, quilting, calligraphy, making greeting cards, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, needlepoint, cake decorating, gourmet cooking and anything artistic. I also enjoy reading autobiographies; real books, not e-books. I enjoy decluttering and organizing my house. I've been this way ever since I was a little girl. I usually only have time for my hobbies after dinnertime. I don't watch TV, I put the cell phone down, turn OFF all electronics and concentrate on my hobbies. Electronics are huge time traps.

Transitioning from work to home life can be difficult. It's why happy hour was invented. I find it helpful to picture exactly what I want to start on, and I set up my workspace for it to have it ready for the time I'll want to pursue it.

Sometimes just having this leap already set up helps me transition to it and fall right into it. Other times I resist and allow myself to just 'explore' starting the thing to see how I feel. When it doesn't grab me, I can walk away with at least a clear idea of where I'll begin again.

Archived