Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overworked & Overstressed...but feel guilty quitting.

Originally Posted by MarahVilla
    Thank you everyone for your advice. DancingFool you are spot on with those last few sentences. I had that exact thought myself. How egotistical of me to think they NEED me. Like you said, I'm just another worker to them.

I do need to work on boundaries. I thought i was doing OK because I tried saying I needed less hours. But as another poster stated, I should have been clearer. Even then, I tried multiple times to decrease my hours and in fact the opposite happened. They expect me to kill myself over a job that I do not plan to make a career. Im the only one trying to find people. Im the only one making wanted ads. They didn't see the urgency in my situation.

Anyways, I turn in my immediate resignation today for the sake of my sanity. I was finally able to get through to the school psychologist and have my intake appointment with her on Monday.

I also have my interview Monday and the assistant manager that received my paperwork told me to be upfront with the general manager about what I need/hours im willing to work. Any advice on how to be firm, but still make a good impression?
    To be clear and firm with others, you need to be clear with yourself first. So questions to ask yourself are what are your best studying hours - like are you better off doing that in the morning, evening, etc. Everyone is different. Then consider where and how you can flex. How much do you need to dedicate to that. What's left is the hours you can work.

That said, during interviews it's best that you listen carefully to what they are looking for, what the rules are and then decide if the job is for you. For example, if they tell you that the hours are 9-5 and that suits you, then great. Nothing more to think or talk about. However, if they tell you that shifts change and can be late night, early morning, and when you start it will be the night shift before you can move to day shift - then you need to know ahead of time if this is something you can or cannot work with.

So, decide what hours you can work and once you know that, the rest falls into place where you can simply be honest with the person on what is and isn't going to work. Getting Ready for a First Date

Originally Posted by MarahVilla
    I also have my interview Monday and the assistant manager that received my paperwork told me to be upfront with the general manager about what I need/hours im willing to work. Any advice on how to be firm, but still make a good impression?
    Congrats on your interview. When asked for your available hours, simply state what those are. Not 'firmly,' as some defensive employee scorned, but rather, as a simple statement.

Don't confuse the need for firmness that you did not exercise with your last employer as something you must now project onto a potential employer in an interview.

Don't allow learning experiences to push you into overcompensation. Start with your trust meter set to a neutral 5 on a 1 thru 10 scale. From there, allow people to SHOW you over time whether to increase your trust or withdraw it and raise barriers to mistreatment.

Head high, and good luck with your new job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice