Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it easier to move up at your job or find a new job in the next step up?

Is it easier to move up at your job or find a new job in the next step up?

Searching for some thoughts around this.

I was recently talking to someone about them trying to move up at their current employer vs searching for a that step up elsewhere. In my experience, there are times when a person is already doing the responsibilities of the next role, but face office politics, favoritism, unfair challenges, etc within their company. But it seems to work better, when they simply just go and search for that next challenge elsewhere. I've been trying to find some data around this but I've been failing. I might be wording my search wrong.

Anyway, thoughts against or for this?

Well if they find better success somewhere else, then that means there are management issues in the company they were at. Other companies that are run properly will seek out those within the company who have potential to do well in higher positions and offer promotions/raises. Those companies are the most productive, and value their employees. If people are leaving in droves, and I'm talking long time dedicated employees, that's a pretty good indicator it's a crap company to work for.

It's highly variable. Your best bet is to look at your own employer's management structure and see how strongly they've adhered to promoting from within.

Originally Posted by LostSpartan
    Searching for some thoughts around this.

I was recently talking to someone about them trying to move up at their current employer vs searching for a that step up elsewhere. In my experience, there are times when a person is already doing the responsibilities of the next role, but face office politics, favoritism, unfair challenges, etc within their company. But it seems to work better, when they simply just go and search for that next challenge elsewhere. I've been trying to find some data around this but I've been failing. I might be wording my search wrong.

Anyway, thoughts against or for this?
    It depends. Like the others mentioned, there are a lot of factors.

What's going on with this person you're talking with? Issues with promotion?

Originally Posted by j.man
    It's highly variable. Your best bet is to look at your own employer's management structure and see how strongly they've adhered to promoting from within.
    Very good point.

Platinum Member
    In 30 years of working, I have always got my best raise or promotion by leaving the company for greener pastures.

Yes if you are very good in your field, you will be in demand, and other companies will offer you more because it is so difficult to find quality in the workforce. When you give notice, there can be some negotiation, and you end up staying with an even better deal.

BUT there is the chance when the pastures seem greener receiving more money, etc, you end up where the atmosphere/work environment is terrible and the move wasn't worth it.....it's a crapshoot

Personally, for me, it was easier to move up the ranks within my company than jump ship and start all over again reestablishing contacts. At my company, I've attained plum positions by word of mouth connections and personal referrals. I found out which positions were available, who was leaving and retiring before this info ever made it to job boards and requisitions on the Internet. I snatched up jobs before this information went public. Inside information is invaluable. My in person networking and work friendships were worth more than gold.

Platinum Member
    Early in my career I moved up quickly in a phone company. They transferred me from LA to Dallas. I thought I was a high flyer. Two years later? GTE outsourced our whole department. The move was to get to a state with less regulation when dumping employees.

They offered me the same position with 2/3rds pay and no benefits with the outsourcing company. No thanks.

I moved back to California and hit Silicon Valley at the right time.

Software companies pay well and had good benefits. Since I learned there is no corporate loyalty I jumped when I thought I could do better. Probably a dozen times in 20 years.

The Silicon Valley culture accepts this as normal. It may not be elsewhere.

I no longer do this as I approach the end of my career.

If I hadn't during my prime working years? I would never have afforded a house in California.

Bronze Member
    My experience is that itís best to look elsewhere. But I live in a small town where Karen is going to hire her cousin who has 0 experience and a bachelors degree before sheís going to promote Sally who has 20 years of experience and a doctorate degree. But thatís small town politics for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice