Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: I regret breaking up and can't stop the self hate now

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    17
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    Congrats on getting in the phD program and enjoy!

    I agree - find like-minded people. I hope you're able to find peace most of all, not just excitement or thrill of the moment to distract the pain. Find joy in what you're doing and peace.
    Thank you! I am still not sure if PhD is what I want, but I feel like I have to give it a chance, otherwise I might regret it.

  2. #22
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    10,960
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by imunhappy
    Thanks you very much! That was my thought at the time as well. I couldn't start LDR after such a short time. But I can't seem to get that thought into my mind again. Now I'm just thinking about it as wrong. Perhaps we'd struggle with relationship, if we agreed to it. There were some flaws that she had as well, but I fail to look at them now.
    Since I'm moving to a new city very soon I want to make a fresh start. I just need to learn how to get there positive about new experience and not make myself feel down at every obstacle I face (I happen to do this a lot).
    Yes, I kind of got the impression that you tend to feel down and put yourself down a lot. Thing is that this is habitual thinking and habits can be changed. Not easy, but totally doable. So I'll just urge you again to check out cognitive behavioral therapy - it's basically exactly that, getting sort of coached through changing your thinking habits for the better. It's basically rewiring your brain into healthier thought patterns and habits.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    17
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Yes, I kind of got the impression that you tend to feel down and put yourself down a lot. Thing is that this is habitual thinking and habits can be changed. Not easy, but totally doable. So I'll just urge you again to check out cognitive behavioral therapy - it's basically exactly that, getting sort of coached through changing your thinking habits for the better. It's basically rewiring your brain into healthier thought patterns and habits.
    When I get settled in the new city I will definitely try to get it. In the meanwhile, is there something you can recommed as self-help? Book, movie, exercise?

  4. #24
    Platinum Member reinventmyself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11,095
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by imunhappy
    I am afraid it's gonna take a very long time till I find someone special again. In the meanwhile I'm afraid I'll drown in my own misery.
    If you choose to look at it that way, then you are probably bound to miserable.

    There is an amazing life inbetween the two if you choose to cultivate one. Just because you aren't coupled up doesn't mean you should be in misery. Unless you don't like your own company very much . . . something to think about.

    It's best advised to not date until you spend some time exploring why you think your life is over if you don't have a partner.

    You say you are choosy, but if you date with your current mindset you are more inclined to not make good choices. It's kinda contrictory. People who are choosy typically know their their worth.

  5.  

  6. #25
    Platinum Member Rose Mosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3,739
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by imunhappy
    Thank you! I am still not sure if PhD is what I want, but I feel like I have to give it a chance, otherwise I might regret it.
    This seems a bit off track but what's going on with the phD choice? Do you mind me asking? It may be adding to feelings of being lost or not sure where to turn to, turning to people and interactions or romance instead of staying on course or committed to your reasons for moving to Berlin in the first place. The phD path may not be something you're certain about just yet but are you willing to deepen that experience and explore how it can be more valuable to you? Instead of taking the curriculum for what it is for example are there ways for you to apply the original interest in the topic/s to real life outside of academia?

    When I've felt lost or disoriented, I've usually tried to come back to my original reasons in the first place, testing the rationale against the emotions. If there are inconsistencies, I work them out personally/internally. I keep doing this until the reasons are straightened out and I remain focused in what I set out to do. It doesn't always work - life can be unpredictable and other opportunities show themselves. I think we need to be fluid and flexible especially in the world we live in today. Being rigid or determined is no longer enough but it does help to revisit or keep checking in with your original plans and decisions or rationale.

    People and places constantly change. This is a byproduct of living. Change is ever-present. How do you remain consistent in how you see yourself even if you are evolving? Having interests, to me, is one of those unfailing ways of reconnecting back with ideas of yourself in relation to the rest of the world. Stay connected to yourself while you stay connected to your city or community or studies, whatever you have in front or around you.

  7. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    17
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    This seems a bit off track but what's going on with the phD choice? Do you mind me asking? It may be adding to feelings of being lost or not sure where to turn to, turning to people and interactions or romance instead of staying on course or committed to your reasons for moving to Berlin in the first place. The phD path may not be something you're certain about just yet but are you willing to deepen that experience and explore how it can be more valuable to you? Instead of taking the curriculum for what it is for example are there ways for you to apply the original interest in the topic/s to real life outside of academia?

    When I've felt lost or disoriented, I've usually tried to come back to my original reasons in the first place, testing the rationale against the emotions. If there are inconsistencies, I work them out personally/internally. I keep doing this until the reasons are straightened out and I remain focused in what I set out to do. It doesn't always work - life can be unpredictable and other opportunities show themselves. I think we need to be fluid and flexible especially in the world we live in today. Being rigid or determined is no longer enough but it does help to revisit or keep checking in with your original plans and decisions or rationale.

    People and places constantly change. This is a byproduct of living. Change is ever-present. How do you remain consistent in how you see yourself even if you are evolving? Having interests, to me, is one of those unfailing ways of reconnecting back with ideas of yourself in relation to the rest of the world. Stay connected to yourself while you stay connected to your city or community or studies, whatever you have in front or around you.
    No problem, I can answer.

    Well, couple of years ago I was very focused on my studies and genuinely liked it. Around three years ago I moved abroad for the first time and since then I have lived in four differen countries, besides mine and visited more than thirty. I slowly realised that I like exploring cultures, meeting people, learning about differences more than what I study (engineering). I lost my interest in engineering a bit and struggled for a bit. Then, after completing an internship I realised I very much prefer research/lab work over industry (which is only viable option, if I don't complete PhD). I applied slightly randomly to a bunch of positons and got accepted to one. Overall it's a pretty sweet offer, topic seems interesting, I like the city, financially seems good as well.

    Definietly sounds better than what I can expect home, living with one of the parents, since I'll be unable to go on my own due to low salaries. Also, living in a bigger city seems more appealing than at home in a village, at least for now.

    Basically, it's a quest for happiness, I think my chances abroad are better than at home. Plus I get to work in research.

  8. #27
    Platinum Member Lambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,831
    Originally Posted by imunhappy
    Thank you. It's good to read something positive. I have actually attended a couple of sessions. All the time that I had a therapist available. It really did a change and I hope I manage to attend again. I am moving soon, to Germany to be precise, hopefully their mental health services are more availabe than in my country.
    I am trying to do some productive things, learning a language, reading a book, gym, but nothing feels natural, seems like I have to push myself hard to start with the activity. Can you perhaps recommend some self help books? I'm really not skilled on the topic.
    The books... its so hard to suggest exact titles, because its so personal. Do you want to read about specific topics? Or do you want to read stories about people that overcame a specific thing?

    Another great topic to get engrossed in that can give you a new perspective is philosophy. Eastern philosophy, ancient wisdom, other cultures etc. gets me out of my own head. I'm not saying you have to find a new religion but learning about an ancient culture gives me things to think about.

    I would check amazon for that kind of thing or topics like self care. I'm sure some titles will resonate with you. Then check out the intro for how the author writes. Do they resonate with you?

    Also check out Audible to listen to audio books, if that format works better for you.

    Any topic you pick, I'm sure will lead to more topics to explore. Sometimes it is hard to find motivation... but maybe you just need to find the thing that interests you enough to keep with it.

  9. #28
    Platinum Member SherrySher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6,810
    The thing is, you recognize the problems between your parents, and you know what it can do to a person in the long run. Because of that, you don't have to repeat their patterns.
    I do hope you will get counselling and discuss this at length as it will help you a lot. It will also help you to not choose a partner who might bring these things back int0 your life (as some people subconsciously date a partner who is toxic due to it being familiar).
    Try to notice these things and break the patterns. You can have a happy, loving relationship that resembles nothing like your parents relationship was, if you choose to.

    Sleeping with randoms is sometimes not about sex, but boosting my self-worth, sadly.
    This unfortunately is a backwards notion that isn't correct. I'll explain. Anyone can go onto a dating site and find loads of people who are willing to sleep around.
    It's not difficult. That doesn't mean that you're a great man, or that you're attractive or worthy or anything. Because the type of women that are willing to sleep around with you, have slept around with tons of other men, similar to you. It's not attractive, it's not something to brag about and it's definitely not something that is a good thing.

    Try to readjust your outlook on this. Now, think about someone who has accomplished a successful long term relationship or marriage (that is happy and healthy).
    What would it take to do that?
    Being able to find ONE woman that you truly do love and truly does love you. Being able to woo her, date her, have her fall madly in love with you. (no it's not easy to do).
    Having your relationship skills be that good, that you are successful at getting along with one another, not fighting, having complete trust, being very good to each other, staying close on a daily basis, bringing happiness to each other, etc.

    If you are able to do the above, that really would make you heads above the general dating population as that actually takes skill, personality, maturity, and so much more than just pulling out your nether regions.
    Then you could actually be proud of yourself, and proud of the woman you are creating a life with and that she's a good woman who stays only in your bed and will only stay in your bed.
    Being successful at that will bring you hundred times the good feelings and ego boost than sleeping with a hundred cheap women.

    First take time to heal yourself as best you can. Get back onto your own two feet, get your head in a good place again. (this can't be rushed, it can take months with professional help).
    Once you've gotten yourself in a better place, only then should you consider letting a woman back into your life. But your main focus should no longer be to have a cheap thrill for a few moments, but to create something wonderful, that is for only you and her and will lasts years, if not a lifetime.

    Allow yourself that. It will be so much more fulfilling than what you've been doing.

  10. #29
    Platinum Member Andrina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    central Florida
    Posts
    4,268
    Gender
    Female
    You're beating yourself up over ending it with someone you knew for one week. Realistically, if you looked at how it most likely would've panned out, you would have invested more emotions and time into a failed venture, and the ending would've been a lot rougher. In the heady bliss of sharing chemistry with a shiny new attractive love interest, realities are shoved aside in that la-la land.

    She didn't think about how it would feel to leave all of her friends and family, rarely seeing them anymore, with the great expense it normally takes to travel. She didn't think about how the normal pace of dating wouldn't be possible, and to go from making out with a cute stranger to living with him 24/7, with only each other to rely upon each other for a social life in a new land, would be smothering and too much too soon. She wanted to make a major decision like this without knowing who she was making that decision with. It takes a good year to see any skeletons in the closet, if there are any. It takes that long to see how a person handles a myriad of stressful decisions, and whether they have the capability of being faithful or not, amongst so many facets of who that person is. And it's not like you can live in another country without good reason. Sometimes getting permission adds to the stress that is already there when dating someone from another country.

    You were actually using your brain wisely when you chose not to date in the most stressful way that exists.

    Do continue with therapy and Google those self-help books with words such as "positive self talk." It doesn't matter if you've dated someone a week or if you've been with someone twenty years and it ends--you should never consider suicide because of a failed relationship. It's not fair to a partner for you to feel that if they walk away, your life will never again be worth living. You always have the power to move on and start another chapter of your life that is worthwhile. Until you get to that mindset, and are resilient enough to handle anything, I suggest you be by yourself and not date.

    When you don't feel worthy, you will attract other broken people, and/or bullies and manipulators. When you're mentally healthy, you will attract, and be attracted to, other mentally healthy people, and your relationships will benefit.

    Good luck.

  11. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    17
    Originally Posted by Lambert
    The books... its so hard to suggest exact titles, because its so personal. Do you want to read about specific topics? Or do you want to read stories about people that overcame a specific thing?

    Another great topic to get engrossed in that can give you a new perspective is philosophy. Eastern philosophy, ancient wisdom, other cultures etc. gets me out of my own head. I'm not saying you have to find a new religion but learning about an ancient culture gives me things to think about.

    I would check amazon for that kind of thing or topics like self care. I'm sure some titles will resonate with you. Then check out the intro for how the author writes. Do they resonate with you?

    Also check out Audible to listen to audio books, if that format works better for you.

    Any topic you pick, I'm sure will lead to more topics to explore. Sometimes it is hard to find motivation... but maybe you just need to find the thing that interests you enough to keep with it.
    I'll try with "Why do I do that?" by dr. Burgo, hopefully I get some insight to my behavious and manage to stop beating myself up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Videos


Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •