Depression, Healing, Job Searching

Hello everyone. I need your professional advice.

First of all, I hope everyone is coping up well in this pandemic crisis.

Recently, I received the result of my neuro-psychiatric exam. According to the results, I have ADHD with symptoms of anxiety and depression. Before I knew the result, I didn't that I have been experiencing depression. The diagnosis worsens my emotional state which caused me not to perform well in my work. Then, I sought help from my neuro-psychiatrist as I have been crying while I am working and I felt each day is very gloomy. She referred me to a psychiatrist. I aim to overcome depression and to adapt well in my job given the context that I have a certain mental condition. During my first consultation, I was diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Personality. This explains why I could not have functioned well in my job because my doctor saw the pattern that I have an attitude of perfectionism at the expense that I could not cope up with deadlines.

It has been tiring working in my work. At first, I was very happy because I landed in a field where I would like to develop my professional skills. But the workload is too much for me. Each month I got more depressed even though I am under medication and treatment. My grandma and cousin encouraged me to take a rest and leave my job. I didn't want to because I knew I can make it. However, there were times that I was restless and I felt chest pain. My sleeping pattern is very abnormal. Then, I had communication with my senior colleague, and she gave me an honest opinion. According to her, in her 4 years in the company, she has witnessed people have pushed into their limits and for someone like me who has a special condition, she suggested that I re-evaluate myself.

Over the weekend of reflection, I decided to file a resignation. The company was understanding enough.

My plan after rendering 30 days is that I will take a break. My psychiatrist and I agreed to continue medication and session and evaluate what are the possible jobs that are suited for me.

I have been assessing myself ever since I had difficulty in my professional life. I have taken already notes of my strength and weaknesses and enumerated the possible companies where I can apply. I would like to enter a job where I could apply my knowledge from my academic years as I have been away from it for a very long time.

I fear that during the future interview, how would I explain to the employers the reason for leaving in my company is mainly depression.

I am sorry you are going through these struggles. Please do not tell any future employer you left your past job because of depression or because of any mental or physical llness. It is not their business. Simply say it wasn't a good fit and say you took time off for family responsibilities.

It's very easy to advice any one don't thing more about your problems but it is more difficult to follow this advice because Not every person is that much strong that he/she may try to spend their time and busy them. If your surrounding you find any person who is upset and alone you should give his time and care. Sometime sad and alone person become dipressed and they commit suicide which makes you feel sad when you know that he/she is upset but you can't help them.

I agree with Batya. These are personal so keep those discussions about your mental health to a minimum.

Most employers will ask this question - what is the reason for leaving your last employer - even if they already have a very good idea why through the course of preliminary screenings and interviews. The interviewer will want to see how you phrase your answer in person and get a good idea whether your story in person matches with all the other information.

I'd suggest you practice general interview questions once you start applying for positions. Speak about this with your psychiatrist and explain what your concerns are. She may be able to point you to some career counselling resources whether online or in person. You can also go through general questions and have one or two friends mock interview you.

Did you just start the medication? How long does it take for it to take effect or for you to feel or see some effects especially with your anxiety?

I am sorry you are going through these struggles. Please do not tell any future employer you left your past job because of depression or because of any mental or physical llness. It is not their business. Simply say it wasn't a good fit and say you took time off for family responsibilities.

Thanks for your opinion. I really need validation. Although, I knew it already that this has a negative impact because I work as an HR before. But yes, you are right. I am currently searching for an idea to answer them professionally and if ever they will conduct a background check, I am safe.

That's a great idea. I will have my consultation next month and will ask this matter if she could assist me. I normally practice or watch videos about job interviews before I apply to boost confidence. But this one now is exceptional.

I did start the medication last May. It was not worked at first. I really felt sleepy always. But with other factors that trigger my depression, I felt restless. Now that I have filed resignation, the company has diminished my responsibilities because they are aware of my condition and put me in the Performance Improvement Program. Recently, I felt somehow relieved as my psychiatrist increased the amount of medication and also with my current situation job.

I had an interview before I landed in this job with an HR and I replied to the interviewer that "due to personal reasons" that' s why I left my previous job. He gave me a piece of advice that I should be more specific because the employer would be suspicious about why I lasted only 6 months from my previous company. I applied that principle in when I had an intense interview with my current employers and I passed. I couldn't think of other reasons but work-life balance.

I replied to the interviewer that "due to personal reasons" ... I couldn't think of other reasons but work-life balance.

Both of these are vague and prompt the question, "If you couldn't balance work and life then, how will you be able to balance it now?"

Best to offer that you had a private family concern that has since been resolved. You're seeking a job more suitable to your skills rather than returning to a job that wasn't the best fit. Be prepared to highlight skills you want to use and develop that were not part of the career path at your last job.

Passivity is not your friend when it comes to speaking with a potential employer who is seeking someone who won't bail on them.

Both of these are vague and prompt the question, "If you couldn't balance work and life then, how will you be able to balance it now?"

Best to offer that you had a private family concern that has since been resolved. You're seeking a job more suitable to your skills rather than returning to a job that wasn't the best fit. Be prepared to highlight skills you want to use and develop that were not part of the career path at your last job.

Passivity is not your friend when it comes to speaking with a potential employer who is seeking someone who won't bail on them.

Catfeeder, thanks for the opinion. This is the reason I gave to my last employer. Because I lasted only 6 months last year from another company. Then now, 6 months again. I am now re-evaluating my strengths and I think it is about time to work in the fields which are really related in my academic background.

I was thinking of a family reason linked with the pandemic crisis context so that it would not be redundant...

Archived