Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went wild my first year of college. I feel horrible about it sometimes.

I went wild my first year of college. I feel horrible about it sometimes.

I went to parties and did things with guys I didn't truly want to do. I transferred my sophomore year to a much better college; however even while there I still felt peer pressure to "fit in" and do typical college activities. I couldn't wait to make it through and just get that degree that was etched into my psyche as being so important.

I feel horrible that I let peer pressure get the better of me at my first college. Occasionally I even have a dream that what I did with this one guy didn't really happen; that I had just dreamed it. Then I wake up and I'm hugely disappointed.

I need some kind/encouraging words. Hearing similar stories would also be a great help.

Thanks.

I have a feeling a lot of first year college student "went wild". It's probably the norm and all part of growing up. I can imagine, looking back in time, all those students probably cringe quite a lot when thinking back to their "misspent youth".

Agree with Capricorn.

Catch me in the right headspace, and I can cringe a lot at things I've done, choices I've made, places I've stumbled. College, the three years I attended? Ooof. Name it and I probably did it. Have been at peace with that phase, and others, for a while now, but I think it's kind of inevitable that they surface from time to time. As we get older, we mature, and as we mature we look back on our lives from different angles, different lights, sometimes ones that sting, for a moment.

Acknowledge the moment, and let it pass. Sometimes we just need to wink at our pasts here and there—or cringe—to get back to the present.

Originally Posted by bluecastle
    College, the three years I attended? Ooof. Name it and I probably did it.
    Curious, did you graduate college? What kind of stuff did you do that you wish you didn't?

As we get older, we mature, and as we mature we look back on our lives from different angles, different lights, sometimes ones that sting, for a moment.
    Very true. :)

Acknowledge the moment, and let it pass. Sometimes we just need to wink at our pasts here and there—or cringe—to get back to the present.
    I also sometimes remember something my friend said back in the 90s, when I was obsessed with the 50s: "As soon as I find someone with a time machine, I'll let you know."
    Still waiting to hear from her. ;)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I think everyone did something stupid then.

I could have sworn that's what college is for....lol.... Congrats, you are normal doing normal things.

As long as you graduate and aren't flunking our classes, you are fine. College is the best time of your life - enjoy.

Most of us did stupid sh1t in college, you are not the only one. It sounds like you have grown up and matured and probably would never do those things again, so consider it a tough lesson learned.

Platinum Member
    Actually I've done a lot of "wild" stuff. Both at university/college and also later in life! I'm 35 now lol Given the chance I'll still do it 😂 I'm single right now though and don't have kids (yet). The thing is I didn't feel bad about it. I mean, for one thing we can't change the past. The only thing you can do is change your behaviour if you don't like it, and change the future.

It's actually common for people in college to party, hook up, drink, smoke, etc. Of course you don't have to do any of those things if you don't want to. If you don't want to do anything like that again, you don't have to. Don't feel bad about it, you did what a lot of teenagers do and you had fun and experimented. In any case, you can't change the past so don't beat yourself up.
    Last edited by Tinydance; 06-27-2020 at 01:14 AM.

LOL. Not much to add to what everyone else has said. We had a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    I could have sworn that's what college is for....lol.... Congrats, you are normal doing normal things.
    lol, thanks. That definitely made me feel better.

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    As long as you graduate and aren't flunking our classes, you are fine. College is the best time of your life - enjoy.
    I'm not in college. I graduated with a B.A. in January 2008. So I haven't been in college for awhile now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice