Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with the changes brought about by this pandemic?

Worth a read IMO

[Register to see the link]

“Since the brain has evolved to err on the side of caution, its default setting is to treat anything novel, ambiguous, or uncertain as inherently aversive.”

The more vulnerable someone is to emotional distress, the more painful beliefs will be maintained despite any evidence to the contrary. For example, a person may view themselves very harshly due to a core belief that states they are inadequate, unlovable, worthless, etc. In turn, the core belief will cause the person to evaluate situations in a distorted manner, ultimately reinforcing the core belief.

A lot of fishing in troubled waters going on in these outlandish times.

Dramatic rise in online scams during pandemic

We had a scam a couple of weeks ago where very effective text messages were going to everybody - both bank customers and non-bank customers," Det Supt Lordan said.

From RTE report.

"Some of the bank customers fell for the scam. That scammer text people saying their card had been compromised at a store or online. It asked them to cut up their bank card and post it to an address. The person was also asked to text their pin number.

"It looked really professional and quite a substantial amount of people did cut up their cards and send them to the address.

Great , no immunity even if you test positive.

MIT Technology Review:

"The research included four coronaviruses, HKU1, NL63, OC42, and C229E, which circulate widely every year but don’t get much attention because they only cause common colds. But now that a new coronavirus in the same broad family, SARS-CoV-2, has the world on lockdown, information about the mild viruses is among our clues to how the pandemic might unfold.

What the Columbia researchers now describe in a preliminary report is cause for concern. They found that people frequently got reinfected with the same coronavirus, even in the same year, and sometimes more than once. Over a year and a half, a dozen of the volunteers tested positive two or three times for the same virus, in one case with just four weeks between positive results."

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Testing positive after an initial infection does not necessarily = reinfection. We don't know enough about COVID yet but many viruses do have a stage of "viral shedding" where you may test positive for the virus RNA or antigen for a while after infection but you're not actually sick or contagious.

A very good tip from Wiseman

One tip is to stop oversaturating on news and social media. News has to be sensationalist to sell. Whether it is about Covid or about some other unfortunate situation. And now the panic-mongering has leaked from the general news stations into what had been reasonably interesting chat shows/interviews, etc.

I also refuse to have calamitous catastrophizing conversations with people IRL . Most people I know don't go down that road. But two days ago met someone, an acquaintance out on the street, who in a sort of hushed tone started in about the same old same old and how was I coping. I parried with another question: "And how did you enjoy your day out in the countryside the other day!" The message went home.

A quote:

"“Life is a preparation for the future; and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    Last edited by LaHermes; 07-12-2020 at 09:14 AM.

That Einstein quote always makes me laugh. How I would live if I assumed/knew there was no future would be very different than how I am living now. I wouldn't be in school or working for example and I'd actually be out and about and not caring about masks. May as well go out with a bang and enjoy myself.

The only reason I'm working/in school/isolating is because I am hopeful for a future for myself. If I put in the time now, I can make it a better future for myself. That's all.

I learned in my over half century on this planet that I don't need everything NOW!!!!! Things that are of value are worth waiting for.

Too many people in this country have very little patience.

I'm not shouting "OMG we're all going to DIE!!!" But I am supremely frustrated at how this country's leadership is going to the other extreme; that the virus is no big deal and is something we just have to accept. I don't accept it because we do have tools to help make it better if people were just willing to do a few simple things.

Interestingly, my family members who were shouting the loudest about the virus being a hoax and that hospitals were "empty" are now silent. They live in one of the states where cases are soaring. It's horrible, I hope things get better all over. But the "hoax" shouters are contributors to the situation getting worse since they refused to follow guidelines. I hope they're being more careful now. I hope everyone is. I would hate it if a month down the road we're still in the same situation. We know better and can do better.

AS the man said:

"Life is a preparation for the future;"

Sure we can plan, (intention on the future, attention on the present), and hope.

Meantime, all we have is today, to live as intensely as we can (given that we cannot foretell the future).

I find myself musing on that Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken.

Come to think of it isn't it just as well we cannot fortune tell and see the future.

“Eternity belongs to those who live in the present.” Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is.” Eckhart Tolle
    Last edited by LaHermes; 07-12-2020 at 12:37 PM.

I hear you Bolt. And I am aware to some extent about the Covid problems over there in USA.

Aaah. The "country's leadership". And that is precisely why people need to make their voices heard via the ballot box.

You do you. I find it depressing to live in the present right now. Pre covid, sure, but now? No way. I'd rather work toward the future and fantasize about better days. It's the one thing that gives me hope. Very little in the present brings me joy.

Maybe I'll die tomorrow, I don't know, but it doesn't matter. Life sucks and I don't want to live for today, today sucks. I can only hope the future doesn't.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice