Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How are you dealing with the changes brought about by this pandemic?

I can't understand why people think it's appropriate to throw superlative tantrums in public when being asked to put on a mask.

I can't understand why people think it's a constitutional right to be able to potentially spread a serious virus to people you don't even know. Or why you would WANT to be able to do it.

I can't understand why people want to argue on social media about things like politics or guns or mask wearing. I find it exceedingly unpleasant to argue whether it's with people I care about OR people I've never met.

It's frightening what children are being taught these days. It's all about ME ME ME. Worse than it was before.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by LaHermes
    Has Covid simply served to bring more to the surface the madness of the world that was already there!

I worry about a lot of people, not due to Covid but due to surfacing craziness.
    The world was already mad. The last few years and certain events (not just COVID) have only made it more acceptable among certain groups to let their feelings out. Instead of being on the fringes, it's became mainstream. People's basest instincts have been encouraged. People have seen that you can be vile and rude with no consequences and so believe they can get away with it as well.

I try to keep in mind that as bad as it is, there are more people who stand on the side of light and fight for good. History is an ebb and flow, always marching forward and making progress. We're in the step back, but we're coming to the two steps forward. Never lose hope, cause hope is all we have.

Bronze Member
    As for how I'm dealing with changes from the pandemic, what changes? I'm naturally antisocial and prefer to stay in. Ironically, the shy introverts have the advantage in that they've been preparing for something like this by just being them. So other then working from home and wearing a mask, life continues as usual.

And please people, wear a mask. You are saving lives and helping to get this under control so we can eventually go back to normal, whatever "normal" is.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by FenixReborn
    As for how I'm dealing with changes from the pandemic, what changes? I'm naturally antisocial and prefer to stay in. Ironically, the shy introverts have the advantage in that they've been preparing for something like this by just being them. So other then working from home and wearing a mask, life continues as usual.

And please people, wear a mask. You are saving lives and helping to get this under control so we can eventually go back to normal, whatever "normal" is.
    Not the shy introverts who have other people to take care of. You're fortunate you do not!

At the moment: (from Citizens Information)

"On 10 August 2020, new public health laws (pdf) made face coverings mandatory for customers in:

Shops, including pharmacies
    Shopping centres
    Libraries
    Cinemas and cinema complexes
    Theatres
    Concert halls
    Bingo halls
    Museums
    Nail salons
    Hair salons and barbers
    Tattoo and piercing parlours
    Travel agents and tour operators
    Laundries and dry cleaners
    Bookmakers
    You may be asked to remove your face covering to verify your age or identity to staff.

Face coverings are not mandatory in:

Post offices, credit unions or banks
    Sit-in restaurants or cafés
    Medical or dental services
    It will also be mandatory for retail staff to wear a face covering unless there is a partition or they take all reasonable steps to keep a 2-metre distance from others.

These laws will be in place until at least 5 October 2020.

Exceptions
    Face coverings are not suitable for some people, including children under 13. This means that children under 13 are exempt from the regulations.

If you have a reasonable excuse to not wear a face covering, you should tell a member of staff.

Reasonable excuses include where you:

Cannot wear a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or a disability, or because it would cause you severe distress
    Need to communicate with someone who has difficulties communicating
    Remove a face covering to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person or to provide emergency assistance to someone
    Remove a face covering to take medication
    Remove a face covering to avoid harm or injury
    Members of the Garda Síochána do not have to wear a face covering when performing their duties.

Fine and penalties
    Anyone who does not wear a face covering (or anyone who ignores a request to wear one) without a reasonable excuse may get:

A fine of up to €2,500
    Up to 6 months imprisonment
    Both a fine and imprisonment"

In my state, we've been under mask mandates for months. Can't go anywhere public without wearing one, only exception is open, not crowded areas, like in spread out parks.

Honestly, I don't feel comfortable NOT wearing a mask in many public areas. I had an alarming experience yesterday. I went for a walk with a friend in an area that, yes, was public, outdoor, and was in a big park but there were areas with a lot of people together in closer quarters. I wore my mask the whole time. I only saw maybe 40% of others doing the same, with a VERY stark racial divide. Caucasian folks were wearing masks, African Americans were not. I even watched as about 4 people shared a joint - something I would have thought nothing of last year but now...noooo. Why is that, especially when COVID is ravaging the black community, even where I live?

I don't get it.

Where I live it's the opposite.

The so-called "minorities" are wearing masks and the wealthier people (not "of color") are not. Some of them view it as their privilege, that their wealth entitles them to do what they want and not have to follow mandates. I presume they have excellent medical coverage while many of the "minorities" do not. And they can't afford to get sick and miss work so they are more careful.

I just wore a mask and gloves to bring in my trash barrel! Of course I don't like trash anyway and always had an aversion to touching or breathing in the trash barrels so even before Covid I would turn my face away and scrub my hands like crazy after bringing them in.

Poor people have some of the best medical coverage if they are poor enough. If you're poor enough, you get Medicaid and EVERYTHING is covered. If you're poor but not poor enough for Medicaid, you're screwed.

I have great health insurance but let's face it, Medicaid is the best insurance, although I hope I never have so little that I do need it.

I doubt that's the reason why black folks around here aren't wearing masks, probably has to do with much like rest of America: people wanting "freedumbs" and not giving a crap, wanting things to go back to how they were.

Rich or poor, white or black, arseholes are everywhere. Whenever I see someone in a crowded public space, elbow to elbow with strangers, and no one is wearing masks, well... Stupid or arseholes, take your pick.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    Not the shy introverts who have other people to take care of. You're fortunate you do not!
    Yes I am and I fully recognize that I'm one of the fortunate ones. I'm grateful to have a job that allows me to work for home (even if I don't really like it lol) and that I'm basically on my own. My heart goes out to everyone that has to deal with caring for a love one, or has an "essential" job that they have to risk their health for. I read a lot of news so I see stories all the time of people struggling to get by, losing a job, living in an area that doesn't take this seriously and tries to force kids back to school only to have it shut down again a day later. I lost an aunt early on to COVID, so I've been effected like everyone has. So it sickens me that so many still treat this like a joke. How many have to die, how many have to get sick, and how many have to risk their life before enough is enough?

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Fudgie
    Rich or poor, white or black, arseholes are everywhere. Whenever I see someone in a crowded public space, elbow to elbow with strangers, and no one is wearing masks, well... Stupid or arseholes, take your pick.
    Stupid doesn't have a race, gender, financial status, religion, nationality or any other social construct people use to define themselves. It crosses all types of people. It's close friends with ego, people thinking they know whats best for everyone and that only they should be making the rules. And, sadly, it is far too common.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice