Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you know if your happy in your relationship

You lack boundaries and as long as you behave like a push over, it is highly likely that you will keep ending up in the same scenario over and over again. Your gf sounds like a stingy and mean individual. Telling you that the woman who gave birth to you isn't worth 30 pounds sounds plain evil. I would actually break up with anyone who dared to utter such crap.

Having said that, I have to wonder how she came to feel that it is ok to behave like that. And of course, I have to wonder about your lack of backbone. You actually chose to follow your girlfriend's crappy advice and then you blamed her for it as if you were a minor. That sounds super immature.

You are part of this dysfunctional dynamic that you described and it sounds like you invite it by being passive and subservient. You present yourself as the victim, yet it's you who don't have backbone to set boundaries between your mom and your girlfriend. It's YOU who chose to act on the crappy advice. I am going to guess that your mom has a similar "bossing around" quality as your girlfriend. Imo, you need to identify your role in this situation and change your behavior or you risk repeating the same pattern over and over again with your future relationships.

I can't even imagine how that made your mom feel. That's awful that you shortchanged your mom just to appease this controlling woman.

I remember when my husband was my fiance and we didn't argue, snoop, dictate how much money to spend on parents, weren't jealous, didn't manipulate, etc. We had a harmonious, extremely respectful, blissful relationship which is what happiness is.

Don't get married otherwise you're setting yourself up for disaster.

Originally Posted by Lambert
    So many times, I've read the title of a post and immediately thought, well, if you have to ask, then you already know.
    Reminds me of a funny/gross meme I once saw: "Love and happiness are like farts: if you have to force them, they're probably poop." (Of course it had the s-word at the end instead, lol.)

Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    I remember when my husband was my fiance and we didn't argue, snoop, dictate how much money to spend on parents, weren't jealous, didn't manipulate, etc. We had a harmonious, extremely respectful, blissful relationship which is what happiness is.

Don't get married otherwise you're setting yourself up for disaster.
    Uh oh. What went wrong after you married?

Platinum Member
    You have become a complete doormat to this controlling b$tch!

What were you thinking when you returned the gift. Your poor mother!

Get a backbone and end it. You also need to understand why you have allowed, reporting your whereabouts and allowing someone to go through your phone etc, c So many nice girls and you choose her.

She has no right to know what you spent on your mother. She also has no right to tell you that your mother is not worth a certain amount of money.

This one is a real nasty piece of work.

If you're smart at all, you will dump her and never look back.

Now, take your mom out for a nice lunch to make up for the stinginess of the gift card
    Absolutely!

Take your mom out to a really nice meal, tell her you are sorry for allowing this other woman to make things bad. DO NOT tell or invite this other woman as she has no right to know and no right to ruin something else in your life.

Your mother gave you life, loved and supported you far more than anyone else has in this life. Treat her with the respect and love she deserves.

Why make your GF the villain when YOU are the one who got something cheaper? You need to stop the passive aggressive nonsense and be accountable for YOUR actions rather than set people up like this.

Platinum Member
    She sounds terrible! Very rude and mean. Not to mention she has no right to tell you how to spend your money. Especially because it's a Birthday gift for your mother! Why are you being such a pushover!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Videos

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?

How To Overcome A Divorce

Love Hormone Oxytocin Improves Stressful Relationships

Forgiveness Does Not Always Solve Relationship Problems

Too Much Commitment Can Destroy Romantic Relationship
Give Advice
Ask For Advice