Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rant About Uni Professors

Bronze Member

Rant About Uni Professors

Like the title says, there isn't really much room for advice in this situation anyway. So let's just go through a little rundown on how life in college should ideally function. You write graded research essays, cool right, well not really, because you see there's this template that they keep posting on each Module's page on how research essays are graded, and they mention very specific criterion along with their assigned weights, all of that is fine and dandy until one as**ole professor decides that they are going to mark papers in a radically different way from everyone else in the department. "oh you thought you had to include a "Theoretical Review" in your essay before you start digging into the studies that are based on actual data and stuff like that, because that's what's actually written in this freaking template that is supposed to comprehensively communicate the standardized marking criterion for all modules, hence you can find it on each individual module's page, well think again, because I decided that I wanted the entire paper to be made up of only that second half of this criteria, and those 800 words worth of theoretical analysis you've put in there is totally worthless to me, haha gotcha. Now did I communicate this clearly enough, oh yeah there was this one time during class that was literally a month or so before this whole quarantine situation settled in where I vaguely talked about the structure of the paper without highlighting the critical exclusion of one of the main marking criterion despite the fact that the question I wrote myself says "highlight the different schools of thought that study the relationship" , oh sorry didn't I tell you how that I personally considered each individual study to be a "school of though" in of itself, did you make the rational mistake of thinking I was referring to the theoretical part of the essay that's expressly mentioned in the marking table, well boohoo for you I guess, life's not fair , deal with it or kill yourself, whichever's most convenient for you blah"

Ranked among the top students in my cohort for two years in a row, only for this piece of sh#t to come and deal my GPA the dirtiest hand it's been dealt since I first enrolled in this garbage overpriced uni. It seems that even in the presence of a standardized marking criterion, professors still find a way to abuse their power just so that they can have things their way. And of course I could go and whimper to the head of the department about this, she'll come up with some bullsh*t justification or try to make me out to be the one at fault when clearly the opposite is true.

Okay whining is over I guess. Does anyone else have stories about crappy encounters with university professors?

Holy run on sentence, buddy.

Just kidding.

Not meaning to kick you when you're down. Just bugging you.

I hear you. In micro econ I remember not understanding anything the teacher was saying because his accent was so thick. I basically self-studied. Arts courses were ok... don't remember them being eventful but very entertaining and I enjoyed them. You have to talk to your prof. Unless your courses are all fact/formula based or on calculations, you really need to understand what the teacher wants.

Keep your chin up. This is one course only. I have a question though - was the entire course graded on one essay only?

Bronze Member
    Thankfully no, but still a D on a 30% essay is a pain in the behind. And yeah holly crap I know my punctuation is bonkers, I stopped caring at this point lol. I literally just use commas as a substitute for every punctuation mark that exists. I just got off of a zoom meeting with her, she literally called me an idiot at some point, and then thought it was inappropriate when I said that the question shouldn't have been phrased that way. If you studied econ you would know that the phrase "school of thought" is primarily used to refer to stuff like Neoclassical Economics, Marshallian Economics... etc , basically any dense body of theoretical literature; it definitely has nothing to do with individual papers studying through regression and what not specific cases in specific countries, and yet that's what she wanted the entire section of literature review to be made up of. But yeah I'm an idiot I guess lol

Negotiate. Talk. Offer an extra credit project.

Bronze Member
    Yeah if I were in a respectable university I would, no such luck here unfortunately, never even knew there was such thing as an extra credit project. Yeah well it is what it is I guess, what are you gonna do :/ ?

It sounds like she was looking for something very different. How frustrating. Is the course over? D of 30% is .6 x 30% = 18% out of 30% meaning you lost approx 12% out of 100% for the whole grade.

That's not bad!

You can still score an A if you've been getting close to 100% in the other areas. Or a high B.

Bronze Member
    My university is under the British system, a D in the British system is 40% not 60% , and anywhere above 80% only happens on average every coon's age. It's cool though I've already prepared myself for getting a C at best in this Module, I got better grades in the other ones, definitely gonna hurt my GPA, but oh well can't change it now, fingers crossed.

I see. In that case definitely see whether you can do a make up assignment or project.

You're going to have to do a clearer job of appealing your case if you want a chance to resubmit the project or let your prof know about misleading instructions.

I couldn't make head or tail of what you were trying to say about the essay format (sorry! punctuation counts!) but I'm understanding that there were bulletins posted about the standard format everywhere in the department or the course. You could also appeal to the dean or the head of the department to discuss your grade or the misleading expectations for the assignment. At the very least, maybe the course can be organized a bit better and they may review your case and allow you to resubmit the paper due to issues surrounding clarity.

I'm also curious how your peers fared? Was the class average for the paper also a D?

Bronze Member
    The grade with the highest frequency was D yes (I guess you'd technically call it the mode of the class). There were a bunch of Cs and only about three As, one of which chose the other topic (we get two options on what topic to write about). Let me re-explain that part: so basically the essay has this section called literature review, it is composed of theories and practical tests (empirical studies with data and models) , that's what we've done so far and what every other professor has asked of us, which is like I said what is already written in the online coursework template on every module's page. She decided to do away with the theoretical section, so half of my essay was basically off topic in her eyes. The problem is in the phrasing of the question: had she said "using recent empirical studies" instead of "highlighting the different schools of thought" , I would've understood easily what she wanted. Like I said, the phrase "school of thought" is normally associated with historical bodies of theoretical writing, which is consistent with the what the template says about the marking criterion ,that both the theoretical and empirical elements need to be in the essay , but she only wanted empirical studies in the literature section, which is obviously not what the question alluded to whatsoever nor is it consistent with the standardized format we've been following for all of the other modules. Hope I made it clearer this time, but yeah my university is pretty authoritarian, they would never accept a re-submission or anything like that. They always side with the professors no matter what.

I agree. It appears confusing. I wouldn't translate "different schools of thought" to empirical studies either. It sounds more theoretical.

I know it sounds mundane and annoying but this might be a good cue also to clarify anything that appears confusing in the rest of the course. Now that you know you have a confusing prof and there is a known history of confusion with this teacher due to different use of terms or language, always clarify first before starting a draft or brainstorming. I've had my fair share of academic confusion and frustration so I do feel for you.

Maybe the course will be marked on a curve too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice