LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rant About Uni Professors

Bronze Member
    Hey catfeeder, thanks for your feedback. I know I made it sound like I talked to her the same way that I wrote this post, but trust me that wasn't the case at all. Even when I told her that I didn't think the question should've been phrased that way, I still began my sentence with "with all due respect" , I was very calm with her too. I never said to her that she was "wrong" , just that the phrasing was confusing and I mentioned here as a side note that the way she marked the paper was inconsistent with the standard format that every other professor abides by. Of course I didn't mention the latter part to her, because like I said, she's just abusing her power and the byproduct of that is unnecessary confusion and inconsistency in the marking criterion. The thing is, we don't get second chances at all, they are extremely inflexible when it comes to grades, and there's no way to convince a professor to give you another chance. She was practically tearing me apart during feedback and calling me an idiot, and I still tried my best to keep my calm, my voice was low and I tried to communicate my concerns as respectfully as possible; she obviously thinks that calling a student an idiot is acceptable while the student telling her that her phrasing of the question was misleading is not. If I there was the slightest chance that she would give me a second chance at this, I would've been even more humble to the point of absolute self humiliation if I had to. I want nothing but to maintain a reasonable GPA and if I have to bend over to someone to get that, I would always be down no matter what.

The thing is I know it's impossible so I was a little apathetic in the way I talked to her, again not disrespectful or anything, unless you were to consider the pin pointing of a simple fact with a preceding "with all due respect" to be disrespectful , which is just baffling to me. You don't say something that clearly refers to a specific thing when you actually mean something else entirely. Problem is professor's are too egotistical to accept constructive criticism from students, that's the only reason I think I shouldn't have said that to her because I should've known that she was too stubborn to actually acknowledge quite an obvious mistake that she made, like seriously you could ask anyone who's just mildly versed in essay writing what the phrase "school of thought" brings to mind, and the last thing they'd say is specific recent empirical studies, but I guess I'm getting a bit too technical here, anyway I didn't point it out in a confrontational way either : literally what I said when she surprised me by telling me that she wanted the entire literature review to be only made up of empirical studies is this "but with all due respect professor, in that case the question shouldn't have been phrased that way" with a very calm and low tone of voice. I'm not victimizing myself either, this whole situation, while pretty frustrating when it first happened, is pretty much beneath me. I don't consider an unfair jab to my GPA to be a reason for victimizing myself in a personal way because I don't consider my GPA to be a reflection of my self worth, it's just a stupid number. I was just expressing my frustration at the academic dishonesty, elusiveness and indirectness at hand here and how everyone seems to be perfectly okay with it. I've bent over to people my whole life btw until my back couldn't take it anymore, I tried my best to accommodate my parents desires when it came to engineering. I talk to all of my professors, even the ones I hate, with the utmost respect . I talk angrily in private settings, but when I know that someone's in charge, I pretty much play along, I have no interest in head butting with anyone, and I didn't headbutt with her, and btw we ended the zoom call laughing off the whole thing together, I repeated to her the things she said to me to make sure I understood exactly what she wanted in the next assignment, I did say however, in a very respectful way, that I disagreed with her about certain things, but since she's the one responsible for marking the paper I would do exactly as she asked, and we joked about that for a little bit and that was it, no headbutting or anything except for that phrasing part, which I wouldn't call head butting either because I retreated from my mildly critical position once I sensed that she was getting defensive.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by The Cold One
    Seraphim, I'm sorry about your experience, lots of professors have this unbearable ego problem unfortunately, I wish I could take a different one, but we don't have any other options unfortunately :S
    I hear you. I am just glad I am close enough to retirement now none of it matters but at the time it was terrible.

Precisely. It all depends on if you are planning on grad/professional school and where and which one. For example if you want US Ivy League you'll need at least a >3.5. Not sure if employers even bother with undergrad grades. Most just look at the school.

Also depends on where you want to work. So sometimes you have to suck it up if it serves your long term goals. Not every professor I've had was great, some were real asses. however, you can negotiate and if it means an extra paper, project, whatever, do what is in your own best interest. Skip the trivia about assignment semantics and keep your eye on the prize.
    Originally Posted by The Cold One
    I don't consider my GPA to be a reflection of my self worth

Problem is professor's are too egotistical to accept constructive criticism from students,
    Yes! That's exactly why I would never frame my argument as veiled criticism, in any way, shape or form. It's a misunderstanding on MY part that I hope for an opportunity to correct with a resubmission or additional work.

In other words, I'm eating any penalty willingly, and without pushing back with an excuse or a critique.

They love making a downgraded student perform extra work. They believe that they are doing it for your own good. So? Play along WITH that rather than pushing back on them to eat any crow you already know that they will never eat.

Pushback is pointless and only amplifies their enjoyment of their position over you. Skip that.

I was careful to make my arguments about the opposite of their deficiency harming my GPA, but rather my own willingness to see the error of MY ways while referring to my GPA as being representative of my aptitude and ability to rise up to THEIR standards.

It was never a campaign to say, "Look, all of these other professors think I'm fabulous, and it's only YOU who doubts me..." That's just a badge of honor for an egotist who believes that you're a self-entitled brat.

Skip trying to get them to see the error of their ways--it will buy you absolutely zero. Have you noticed? Try instead to sell them on your reflection of your own errors and a willingness to back that up with any additional workload that they might be willing to assign. And there you are. Overworked, yes, but hardly the first or last to defend a GPA.

If there is one molecular whiff of arrogance, or any infinitesimal implication that you don't agree with the prof's treatment of you, then yes--you are toast. However, there is liberation in being toast. You'll no longer have the GPA to defend. You can relax into the mediocrity that you may have feared--and you'll learn over time that there is NObody else on the planet who cares about that but you.

Hah! Head high, you'll get through this, honey.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice