LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rant About Uni Professors

Bronze Member
    BIllie28 I think we are approaching a dead end with this conversation. Have you worked at a call center yourself? just curious because you seem to exhibit some extraordinary lack of knowledge and empathy regarding the working conditions in this industry. My supervisors weren't necessarily the ones cut out as you may think, because the policies change every now and then: the policies and the work conditions they worked under were very different from the ones I worked under, so let's not pretend that luck had nothing to do with it along with the patience to deal with the ill treatment. Basically the longer you stay, the more likely you get promoted, and by the longer you stay I really mean how long you can deal with the unbearable pressure from supervisors and entitled customers, if that's what it means to be cut out for the job, then I'm glad I wasn't, and I don't think it affects my ability to prove myself in anyway, nor is it related to me being entitled. You don't seem to have any experience in the field, so perhaps tone down your judgments a little bit.

*sigh* , dude this is getting exhausting, first of all how am I gonna get everyone in my uni to quit, what are you even talking about? We all need our certificates to be employable in the future, that's how the system works, you can get the knowledge and the skills from anywhere, but if you don't have a stupid piece of paper to show for it then it's all worthless basically. And I already responded to your question regarding how I wouldn't just transfer to another university, but you seem to think that people have absolute 100% control over the situations they face in life, how naive honestly.

Bronze Member
    I also specifically mentioned that the system of higher education is overall poor in quality, so which university I'm in doesn't really matter because it's gonna be the some kind of problems anyway. This post was just for venting and for anyone who had any stories to share.

Bronze Member
    Hey There LaHermes , trust me I'm salvaging all I can from wherever I can, it's the certificate I need, unemployment is a huge problem here in Egypt, no one can get even a half decent job without graduating from college, that's how the system works unfortunately, so we have to deal with certain professors abusing their power just to get our certificates, sad but true unfortunately :/

Platinum Member
    ď first of all how am I gonna get everyone in my uni to quit, what are you even talking about? We all need our certificates to be employable in the future, that's how the system works, you can get the knowledge and the skills from anywhere, but if you don't have a stupid piece of paper to show for it then it's all worthless basically. Ē

My point exactly. You canít get everyone in uni to quit because they donít share the same belief as you. There are people in this professors class that score A. Why would they follow a disgruntled student that scored a D?

Get your stupid piece of paper.

No employer cares about your grade , they will however care about attitude.

Bronze Member
    Three As , that's literally about 10% of a our small sized class, I already mentioned that the most frequent grade was also D and the second most most frequent was I think C and B almost equally , so the distribution of grades is definitely skewed. And it's not about them sharing the same belief as me, it's about all of us not having any other choice, our beliefs can go to hell as far as the system is concerned. Whether we are getting our money's worth of genuine knowledge is irrelevant as well. It's a system that is fueled primarily by greed and governed by blind bureaucracy. And one of the people who got an A whom I know personally can't stand her either because her explanation of the topics in the curriculum is awful (the research essays are based sources outside of the curriculum, and the final exam is what actually includes the topics we covered in class). But like I said we're all stuck , so what are you gonna do :/ ?

And also I know a professor that I personally got an A+ in his class, but I did so through going the extra mile to teach myself things he was supposed to teach me. If someone had come up to me and told me I had the option to join another professor's class where he actually explains things adequately and save my self this extra bit of effort, I would've joined them right away.

The problem is that there's no competition in the market for university tutoring, you get a PHD and your position in the department is eternally cemented independent of your performance or the feedback the students report about you.

Platinum Member
    You earlier admitted that you didnít get the grades to get accepted into another uni.
    Be happy that this uni has accepted you .

10% of people getting an A is actually quite high. You just are not in the top 10%.

Stop blaming others for that. And focus on getting your stupid piece of paper.

Good luck!!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I had one professor for a 4th year class that was abysmal. He was an arrogant azz. Personally, I got out of his class quickly and took a different one. Is there a chance that you could possibly take a different course and improve your GPA?

Bronze Member
    I already explained thoroughly why I didn't get the grades to get into another uni because different priorities were imposed on me at the time, and how I could've easily gotten the required grades because I was already very close to doing that without Math AL, which my parents had forced me to take. Also the whole thread I've been explaining that the main reason for this grade wasn't my actual level as a student, but because she miscommunicated a vital part of the question which resulted in half of what I've written to be considered off topic, who's to blame for that ? Overall getting into a different uni isn't the issue here, it's how the entire system functions. And I'm in the top 10% in literally every other module , been that way for two years. Also the percentage of As is only like that because half of the cohort chose a different module with another professor, and three of the best students chose this one. The percentage would've been much lower otherwise because that's the way it was with the module she taught last semester (thankfully I got a B in the essay of this one). but yeah I'm already focused on getting this crap over with any way I can , thanks bruh.

Bronze Member
    Seraphim, I'm sorry about your experience, lots of professors have this unbearable ego problem unfortunately, I wish I could take a different one, but we don't have any other options unfortunately :S

Yes, in my pursuit of several undergrads then a master's, I've encountered my fair share of egotistical roadblocks to keeping my 4.0 GPA. I learned that my best approach to negotiating re-work or extra credit work was to show exactly where and why ~I~ misunderstood the assignment, along with conveying why it means so much to me to be offered the opportunity to make it right.

It all worked out, because I demo'd humility and concern rather than entitlement, and I avoided butting heads with an adversary who I've accused of being 'wrong'.

Whether fair or not, it's the reality of the world. There will always be this archetypal barrier in every school, every job, every club, every civic group, etc.. I've opted to learn how to 'work' them rather than play a victimized role 'around' them. While I may not win every time, I believe that my efforts to learn real-life stuff from my encounters with these people has gained me an advantage that's proven profitable.

Head high, embrace some humility, and see how well you can negotiate from THAT place to turn this particular ship around. If the ship has already sailed, you can maybe learn from this that a negative, confrontational approach isn't nearly as useful as a willingness to recognize one's subordinate role while attempting to negotiate constructively.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice