LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rant About Uni Professors

Platinum Member
    At the end of the day , does it really matter as long as you pass? Get your qualification?

Perhaps this prof is a blessing in disguise. Setting you up for what itís going to be like once employed.
    Tbh I think what you said to her in your zoom meeting was inappropriate. Instead of telling her what you think she should have said , you could have been more polite by telling her how you misinterpreted her words and why and also if she could expand on or explain her wording in order to help you understand better next time.

If you truly find this University not to be respectable , why donít you transfer?

When you are in University, especially grad school, you will have to adopt a more adult-adult dialogue and rapport with professors. The high school like parent child dynamic will make life difficult for you.

Bronze Member
    Billie28 , man I've already been employed in the crappiest of places and I've already met people 10 times worse than this professor lol (worked as a sales agent for 4 months and had the worst supervisors pressure the hell out of me to get the target, once I almost got it, I got fed up with them and quit) . And yeah I know it wasn't the most appropriate thing to say, but tbh I was so pissed because you don't just phrase your question in a confusing way and then cost someone a jab to their GPA like that, and university professors often forget that they are practically working for us, we are paying them, and so when we believe that they are doing something wrong, we should have the right to bluntly tell them about it. The problem is this crappy culture that deify teachers for god knows what reason. Like if you're working for me and you make such an idiotic mistake, I should have the right to at least be frank about it with you instead of tip toeing around it during the conversation. The reason I can't transfer now is that I'm an Econ student in a private university in Egypt , the only other option for studying Econ is one public university that requires a ridiculous high school average for acceptance. And the thing is higher education is garbage pretty much everywhere in Egypt, I keep hearing stories about how students in western countries can negotiate with their professors stuff like that, and how professors are flexible enough to allow for other options in situations like this. I think I once read a blog about someone who missed their test and messaged their professor telling them honestly what had happened, and the professor was nice enough to let them have another chance at it. I am 100% certain such a thing would never happen in any university in Egypt.

You know what else, there's this other prof that I'm good friends with and we chat regularly on Facebook. I discussed the situation with her and of course brought up the question of whether I should talk to the head of the department about this incident, and she told me it's better not to do that, and that she'll try to bring it to her attention herself without causing trouble. So yeah they don't listen to students at all and they always find a way to put the blame on them.

But yeah you're right, it doesn't matter, the GPA is gonna suffer and perhaps my initial job prospects a little bit (hopefully not) , but I know in the long run it's attitude and experience that affect job prospects the most, not GPA. What I was angry about is indirectness of some people. Like if you want something just say it clearly, what's hard about that. Don't be vague and then cause someone else unnecessary trouble and then blame them for it.

Bronze Member
    Wiseman2 , maybe if I hadn't been called an idiot by her during the conversation, that would've been easier. You're right there should be an adult-adult dialogue, the problem is they are the ones treating us like children and refusing to accept responsibility for any mistake they make, that's why things get too frustrating for me to maintain such a professional attitude, because they are so disrespectful and unprofessional themselves you know.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by The Cold One
    Billie28 , man I've already been employed in the crappiest of places and I've already met people 10 times worse than this professor lol (worked as a sales agent for 4 months and had the worst supervisors pressure the hell out of me to get the target, once I almost got it, I got fed up with them and quit) . And yeah I know it wasn't the most appropriate thing to say, but tbh I was so pissed because you don't just phrase your question in a confusing way and then cost someone a jab to their GPA like that, and university professors often forget that they are practically working for us, we are paying them, and so when we believe that they are doing something wrong, we should have the right to bluntly tell them about it. The problem is this crappy culture that deify teachers for god knows what reason. Like if you're working for me and you make such an idiotic mistake, I should have the right to at least be frank about it with you instead of tip toeing around it during the conversation. The reason I can't transfer now is that I'm an Econ student in a private university in Egypt , the only other option for studying Econ is one public university that requires a ridiculous high school average for acceptance. And the thing is higher education is garbage pretty much everywhere in Egypt, I keep hearing stories about how students in western countries can negotiate with their professors stuff like that, and how professors are flexible enough to allow for other options in situations like this. I think I once read a blog about someone who missed their test and messaged their professor telling them honestly what had happened, and the professor was nice enough to let them have another chance at it. I am 100% certain such a thing would never happen in any university in Egypt.

You know what else, there's this other prof that I'm good friends with and we chat regularly on Facebook. I discussed the situation with her and of course brought up the question of whether I should talk to the head of the department about this incident, and she told me it's better not to do that, and that she'll try to bring it to her attention herself without causing trouble. So yeah they don't listen to students at all and they always find a way to put the blame on them.

But yeah you're right, it doesn't matter, the GPA is gonna suffer and perhaps my initial job prospects a little bit (hopefully not) , but I know in the long run it's attitude and experience that affect job prospects the most, not GPA. What I was angry about is indirectness of some people. Like if you want something just say it clearly, what's hard about that. Don't be vague and then cause someone else unnecessary trouble and then blame them for it.
    Ok itís become a bit clearer to me now.
    You chose this university because you didnít qualify for another and thatís what pisses you off. And you feel the need to prove yourself but this prof is apparently getting in your way?
    IMO she is not. She is simply a hurdle like your previous employer , you didnít rise to the challenge then and quit your job, but you feel less empowered now because if you quit, itís you who suffers. Even though your previous employer didnít suffer, simply replaced you.

You are paying for an education. You are not paying this professors salary.
    Her income is unaffected by you.

If you feel she is only earning an income simply because you are in her class , then leave it. And take your classmates with you.

Stop with the self entitlement already!!

Bronze Member
    First of all you know nothing about me or the things I've been through to make such assumptions.BTW my parents initially were pressuring me to get into engineering, and I fulfilled their wishes which is something that lot of people can't do because public engineering schools in Egypt are very hefty when it comes to high school requirements (and I guess that's the case in most other countries too), and I barely met them but I still got in at the end. I eventually realized it wasn't for me and I wanted to study something that I actually wanted. Here's the catch though, I was an IGCSE student and to get into engineering I had to take Math AL , which was extremely tough and brought my GPA down by quite a chunk. The econ department in this public university only requires OLs to get in, and obviously if my parents hadn't been overbearing from the beginning I would've been able to focus on OLs grade and get into the field that I actually wanted (I got 3 A* and 5 As in my OLs btw, and with a retake or two I could've easily gotten in).

In my previous job: people were quitting by the dozen every month, I was one of the ones that lasted the longest from my batch, most of them quit before me and some of them weren't even students. I was working at a place that was an hour and a half away from my uni which is on the outskirts of the city, and the place where I worked was an hour away from my house, I had classes during the morning, and I had to work part time 5 hour shifts in the afternoon, and then come back home around midnight, add to that the constant pressure and overall ill attitude from supervisors that already had many of colleagues, who only had their jobs to worry about, to submit their 2 weeks notice (that was the reason people were constantly quitting and the turnover rate was crazy in that place). I could've achieved the target as I was very close to it anyway and even my new supervisor mentioned that when I told her I was going to quit, but the ill attitude from the management in that place pretty much did it for me.

Also what do you mean leave her class? And go where exactly? We don't have the option to choose our professors, each module is assigned a prof and we have to deal with it that way. No one in my class can stand this woman even my friend who's another top achiever, trust me if we had the choice to leave we wouldn't have stayed for another second. And I can get education from any source other than uni btw, it's the qualification that I and my classmates need, so we have to deal with the hurdles they put in place for us. So yeah we are paying for her salary, because there are a gazillion online sources that are infinitely more useful than this fast talking lady who no one, including my said top achiever friend, can understand anything from what she says during class. And since we have no choice but to keep paying and dealing with this BS to get our certificate, I'd say yeah we're pretty much being forced to pay for their salaries, because the overall quality of higher education is awful and professors think they can do whatever they want to their students because there are no consequences for their actions whatsoever.

Oh and BTW my previous employer was a call center company who is always desperate for employees, that's why they do a thorough retention interview with people who are considering quitting, and that's why they kept assigning me involuntary overtime, and why we had to beg for another chance to go on a break when we missed the original designated time because we had a long call, because everything is on a timer there and they desperately need a certain number of people with that ready status on their soft phones during certain time slots. So yeah I'd say that the collective act of me and many of my colleagues quitting was a bit of a problem for them, surely they replaced us, but imagine the hell the HR department has to go through to keep replacing that great of a chunk of their workforce every month or two and it's all because of the unrealistic targets commonly found in sales job (ask anyone in that field) and the ill treatment from managers that most people on the floor couldn't stand and would gather up in the break area to vent about the crappy working conditions.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by The Cold One
    Wiseman2 , maybe if I hadn't been called an idiot by her during the conversation, that would've been easier. You're right there should be an adult-adult dialogue, the problem is they are the ones treating us like children and refusing to accept responsibility for any mistake they make, that's why things get too frustrating for me to maintain such a professional attitude, because they are so disrespectful and unprofessional themselves you know.
    Who is they? Isn't this about one individual professor?

I'm going to take a wild guess that when you achieve a poor grade or have a less than stellar evaluation at work you tend to place blame on the teacher or supervisor as in "he gave me a D" instead of I received a D in this class"
    I challenged a grade in graduate school. He was a visiting professor who did not honor the curve that was in place. I went to him then to the Dean. I got my grade raised one letter grade as did everyone else in the class who did not achieve an A. My experience with him in no way affected my experiences with other professors or professors in general. Perhaps stop the condemning broad brush of an entire profession?

Bronze Member
    Bataya33 I think you misunderstood what I meant to say, sorry that's my fault for not articulating my point with enough clarity. I was angry when I wrote this, but I've calmed down a bit since. I meant to say that that is the general attitude of professors at my uni and in most universities in Egypt in general because of this culture that gives teachers the right to treat their students with poor attitude. Tell me about a western a country where it would be tolerated for a professor to call a student the R slur or any other insult for that matter during class. Well here they think it's funny. So no I'm not condemning all professors or anything; just the ones who abuse the loose cultural limitations of their country to mistreat their students and easily get away with it, and again I'm sorry if I made it sound like that I was doing.

I agree with you though, we tend to blame others when we don't get what we want; I think that's pretty natural, isn't it? However, that doesn't necessarily mean that this is always wrong or that we are always being unfair when we do that, as I've mentioned, the other professor that I'm very good friends with was the one that pointed out for me how we are normally graded on the theoretical frameworks of our papers, so if she had been the one to mark my paper, I would've easily gotten a much a better grade, heck I just got an A on another essay in another module that she was responsible for grading. So I think it's clear who is the source of the problem here, what do you think?

Platinum Member
    When I said leave her class I meant leave the University you find not to be of any use.

Call centres worldwide have a high turnover of staff , the reason being that many are not cut out for the job including you.
    The supervisors were and thats why they progressed to that role.
    Donít feel bad that you didnít make it. You are in a minority there.

ďAnd I can get education from any source other than uni btwĒ

Then go get it!!

If you do not want to pay for your professors salary, then get everyone in your uni to quit and she will be out of a job.

I didnít make any assumptions at all. I responded simply to your words only.

I must agree here with Billie:

TCO, you say:
    ďAnd I can get education from any source other than uni btwĒ

I would also say:
    Then go get it!!

I do recall your struggles over the past few years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Videos

How To Overcome A Divorce

Love Hormone Oxytocin Improves Stressful Relationships

Forgiveness Does Not Always Solve Relationship Problems

Too Much Commitment Can Destroy Romantic Relationship

Why Is It So Hard To Quit Smoking?

TV Romance Can Ruin Real-Life Relationships
Give Advice
Ask For Advice