Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My parents care more about their money than they do about my physical wellbeing

My parents care more about their money than they do about my physical wellbeing

I recently began going to a really intense badminton training camp (3 hours, 5 days a week, for 3 weeks) that cost $500. I love badminton and my parents know this, and that I wouldn't decide to take a day off unless I felt I truly needed it. However, I asked them if I could stay home tomorrow from training because I had just been feeling sore and nauseous from the intense exercise (especially because it felt really sudden because of quarantine). I endured the soreness thinking I could handle it and that it could go away in time, but today, I was aching all over my body during training and got a blister on my thumb, and it was affecting the effectiveness of the training (to put it simply, I was just too tired and beat down to do the drills properly-- my coach also pointed out that I seemed "out of it").

I am aware of how expensive this camp was and that my parents would most likely make me sleep it off and send me right back tomorrow, but I felt that it was a bigger waste of money if I kept training in this state and ended up injuring myself (and couldn't go to training anymore) rather than take one day off to fully recover. But my parents wouldn't let me take tomorrow off, and I tried calmly negotiating with them about the money and about how I needed rest, but they simply yelled back that I could just get a good night's sleep and just ask for easier drills tomorrow (which isn't how it works btw).

Although needing to recover is part of the issue, it also hurts me that they cared more about getting their money's worth from the camp than about my physical wellbeing. I'm not sure whether or not I want to negotiate with them any further about taking the day off, because I feel that it would really just result in a lot of yelling and blaming from my parents, which really takes it out of my mental health. Should I keep trying to negotiate with them for the sake of my physical health or bite my tongue and endure it for the sake of my mental health?

How old are you? Is this your first week at the camp? I think you should suck it up and go to the camp and put a bandaid on your sore thumb. I'm speaking as a mother of a daughter who was a senior level figure skater who trained many hours per week. You just have to motor on through it. No pain, no gain.

I went through your older posts and around this time last year you were exercising quite a lot, badminton too. You really are dedicated to it! I admire that and keep up the good work, I say.

I get you're feeling a bit miffed and annoyed with your parents for not listening to your concerns in a very compassionate way. They do have a point though - are you able to ask for lighter drills?

Let's put it this way - is the blister going to heal in one day? Probably not. It takes several days for a blister to heal and peel off naturally. Muscle soreness isn't exactly going to go away in a day either so taking a day off to heal fully isn't likely to happen.

I think it's a good idea to take your concerns to your drill instructor or trainer and explain your symptoms. He or she might be able to switch you to a different work out routine that places less stress on the muscles that are sore or the blister area.

Definitely don't stay silent about it and go through with your regular work out and injure yourself in the already injured areas further! Your trainer will probably also be able to guide you on your technique. You may be overworking or doing something wrong in your technique or slightly off in angle or follow through. Work around it and tell your instructor or trainer.

Go to a doctor. It's that simple. Get checked out for the fatigue. Don't play games with your health. Stop arguing with your family and make an appointment now.

Platinum Member
    You sound extremely ungrateful tbh.

You should absolutely go to training tomorrow. It is not up to your parents to decide on whether you should rest or not.
    Itís up to your coach. That is what HE is trained in. Not your parents. Nor you.

You can absolutely say to your coach that you have a blister on your thumb and you feel sore in certain areas, he will decide on appropriate training despite that. It might mean he asks you to simply sit on the sideline and watch or give you strength exercises, be it squats etc that donít impact your blister or whatever else is hurting.

To the contrary of what you think , your parents are very invested in your wellbeing , enough to fork out money well earned!
    You owe it to them to continue with your training and not throw it in their face.

Go back to training. Tell your coach your ailments and ask that he adjusts your training schedule accordingly.
    Staying home is futile.

Platinum Member
    Show up and do the lighter drills. That is an expensive camp and if there are no refunds then unless you are sick with a fever/contagious go and do your best. Or pay your parents for the days you miss.

It has nothing to do with the money. It has to do with telling an adult that you feel nauseated and sick.

Your parents are positioning you to negotiate your injuries with your coach. You get to decide whether to stay silent and push through to possible injury, or whether to speak with your coach about your condition and modify accordingly.

Your parents are of the old skool, so it's no pain no gain, suck it up, and just do it. Just show up and hit the bench to rest instead. Talk to your coach about your injuries. They can recommend exercises/stretches and home treatments to help with it. Get a good pair of sports gloves, or wrap your hand up with a tensor bandage. Hot baths, Tylenol, or a pain rub like tiger balm can help. Hydrate more...that's probably why you are feeling nauseated...not enough water intake, or try a sports drink to replenish your electrolytes.

Platinum Member
    Can you wear gloves? Get some bandaids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men

Why Young People Don't Rush To Marry? They Fear Divorce

Why People Lie On Online Dating Services?

Relationships During Quarantine

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?
Give Advice
Ask For Advice