At your age, you have a lot of life ahead of you. It sounds like he's not the right one for you.

I'll be a bit contrarian though and say that you don't necessarily need a lawyer to get divorced. There are other options - mediation being one of them. The issue with lawyers is that they're VERY expensive.

I know you can't trust your husband entirely, but if you can trust him enough to not screw you in the divorce, you can even do it without a lawyer entirely. A friend of mine with two children just got divorced, amicably and with a 50/50 split with no lawyer at all. His wife initiated the divorce but he took care of the paperwork.

The steps in my mind are something like this:

Decide if you want to get divorced - looks like you should.

Tell him that you're getting divorced and that it can go one of two ways - divorced amicably or get divorced with lawyers, fights, lot's of lawyers fees.

See what he does.

Soon it will be clear if you need a lawyer or if other options such as a mediated divorce which is much much cheaper than a lawyer.

You said you're in your early 20's - you have your whole life ahead of you and you implied that you don't have kids yet. You could only have accumulated so much wealth to split.

This should be a really simple divorce.