Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My boyfriend canít keep a job

What, exactly, does this guy bring to your life that makes settling for him worth it?

You can walk away at any time and raise your bar on finding someone who deserves you.

Are you actually considering trashing everything that's important to you for a guy who models his own lousy advice? If so, WHY?

Unbiased opinion is that your boyfriend is a delusional loser who will ruin your life if you keep dating him. You won't pull him up to your level, he'll drag you down to his - broke, unemployed, no career, let's keep moving chasing delusions of grandeur as he keeps losing jobs and this place is no good and that place is no good and so on. This is never going to stop.

OP step off the crazy train and never ever give up your stable job and career for any man. Always have your own life, your own money and never ever put yourself in a position where you have to depend on a man for that. Especially when this guy has proven to you over the entire time you've known him that he is nothing but full of hot air and bs. In reality he can't hold down any job whatsoever, let alone talk nonsense like you should move because he and his imaginary job is grander....lol.... I don't know how you can even keep a straight face when he talks like that.

My really honest opinion - dump him. He isn't a great guy, he is a loser. Probably a fun and charming one, someone who can talk the talk, but...you can't build a life on that. Stop wasting your time and life on hot air and bs.

He can ask for anything he wants but ultimately you get to make the decision on what's best for you. You describe him as insisting you make these sacrifices. What exactly does he have to stand on? And why do you feel the need to defend your position to him?
    You are an adult, he's not your parent and based on his employment pattern, he has zero credibility.
    Not sure why there is what seems like a power struggle over this. What he is asking from you is ridiculous. He'd feel better if he drug you down to his level? I would tell him it's non negotiable and not open for discussion.
    If at some future time he has some solid long term work longevity and some opportunity for advancement, then the two of you can talk about the future. But for now the subject is off the table.
    Personally, I'd end the relationship. He's shown you his work ethic, or lack there of.
    I don't think you'd want a lifetime of that.

Not only can't hold a job but would have you risk your livelihood. It's at that point he goes well beyond a loser. He's pressing you to make what could very well and likely would be a harmful decision.

Platinum Member
    Boyfriend is a loser and a jerk. You can look forward to supporting this guy if you move in with him. I cannot understand why you are with him.

I am curious as to what type of high paying jobs he can get?

What do your friends and family think of him?
    Last edited by Hollyj; 05-29-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Originally Posted by senick
    He then says to me that we should move in together and I should move to where he lives
    Oh hell no. Keep your job. Stay where you are.

Does he have a problem with drugs? He seems delusional.
    Originally Posted by senick
    He keeps insisting heís going to get a job and does sometimes but it never lasts more than a few weeks until he quits or gets fired.

He doesnít want to work a job like at a Walmart or McDonaldís, only will take a high paying job.

He says I should just work up from the bottom again and take a demotion, pay cut and go back to part time just to move up there.

Tell him you'll move to him when he gets that high-paying job and keeps it for 6 months. (it won't happen)

Platinum Member
    If he keeps getting fired that is a huge red flag! It would be a deal breaker for me in a relationship.

Originally Posted by Tinydance
    If he keeps getting fired that is a huge red flag! It would be a deal breaker for me in a relationship.
    Yep, I'd fire him as a BF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Videos

Why People Lie On Online Dating Services?

Relationships During Quarantine

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?

How To Overcome A Divorce

Love Hormone Oxytocin Improves Stressful Relationships
Give Advice
Ask For Advice