Is this Barista interested in me?

Slushman

For about a half a year, I’ve been going to the same Starbucks. This barista remembers my name despite me not even mentioning my name to her (I’m pretty sure she got my name from my online order label and put two and two together when I picked it up). I know that alone doesn’t indicate that she is interested.

Then this Pandemic hit and the store was closed for about two months and then when they do open back up, it was drive-thru only. Well when I was heading to the drive-thru, I noticed 3 people I’ve never seen before and the girl that knows my name. I placed my order (didn’t use my name and it was someone else at the cash register). When I got my items l, I noticed she wrote “Good morning David! Thank you and have a great day! : )”

Do you think she could be interested?

A good waiter/waitress always remembers the usual or longtime customers. There's a good chance she is doing the same with the other longtime or usual customers.

You need to realize that politeness/kindness does not equal to flirting or hitting on you.

No, I don't think so. If I had a dollar for every barista who remembered my spouse's name and drew smiley faces on his cup, I'd be a very rich woman. I don't order drinks often at Starbucks but go along for the banana loaf. They are also very friendly with me.

Seems unlikely based on what you've written. If you've been going there for awhile, it's probably just a good memory mixed with professional kindness.

I'd be careful about hitting on her if you like going there and don't want to make her uncomfortable. I had an employee cross that line with me in the past, and I never returned to my favorite Chick-fil-A. She doesn't have the luxury to simply stop showing up to avoid you if you are persistent. I'd leave it be.

Seems unlikely based on what you've written. If you've been going there for awhile, it's probably just a good memory mixed with professional kindness.

I'd be careful about hitting on her if you like going there and don't want to make her uncomfortable. I had an employee cross that line with me in the past, and I never returned to my favorite Chick-fil-A. She doesn't have the luxury to simply stop showing up to avoid you if you are persistent. I'd leave it be.

I don't know if I am overtired or whether this is extremely tragic. I really felt this.

What if times have changed? You know, turnover of employees. That person might have quit?

I think she's just being nice. There was this barista at Starbucks who flirted with me maybe 2 years ago, he would offer me coffee for free, and ask me many questions, but I didn't think too much of it. It was just harmless flirting, it's like part of their job.

Sounds like she's just doing her job. I have received similar treatment through the years from people I've seen everyday. I used to work nights and every night I left, the parking attendant and I would sing together the same line from a certain stupid song as he scanned my parking card. I don't know how it started but we kept it going for a couple years and it always made me smile. We were just 2 regular people doing our jobs and we had a pattern.

Appreciate the kind gesture and the familiarity and leave it at that

Same as Fudgie. Our Starbucks just opened for take out. The same woman hands me my items and is very solicitous -offers me wipes, keeps her distance, etc. Because of the virus I add my tip on the app (there is still a tip jar but I actually have very little cash/avoid handing cash because of the virus) - so she doesn't even know if/what I will tip. I really appreciate her!

Archived