Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Starting A Book Club - Kindle vs A Real Book - Your Opinion Please!

I read mainly fiction, some essays here and there, a dash of psychology. Recent reads in pandemic days: "Slow Days, Fast Company," by Eve Babitz; "Fleishman is in Trouble," by Taffy Brodesser-Akner (very ENA in subject matter!); "The Topeka School," by Ben Lerner; "Writers & Lovers," by Lily King. Have found reading to be a bit tough with this covid cloud hovering about—my brain is more mealy than spongy, I guess—but it seems the mechanism is getting back in gear.

Might revisit some old favorites, like "Madame Bovary." Girlfriend and I have a plan to read "Anna Karenina," which I got her for Valentine's Day—certainly up there with the "all time favorites," though I don't really rank books like that. There are some that were so essential to me in my 20s—basically the list that all brooding dudes cling to in the formative years—that I can't even read anymore, so odds are anything I'd name right now might not hold personal water come 45 or 50.

My few more cents on the subject...

I couldn't narrow it down to one favorite. I love to read Victorian novels, especially Trollope, Jane Austen, George Eliot, and Charles ens. (I guess the censors won't let me write the word D-I-C-K)

Currently I'm listening to Hillary Mantel's third novel in the Wolf Hall trilogy: The Mirror and the Light.

Welcome back, Lo!

Missed your postings.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Sometimes I think that joining a book club would be a lot of fun. But part of me also thinks that I would probably find it exhausting.
    It's not exhausting if the book club founder or organizer makes it easy for its members. People are very busy so meet at a public place, don't drag out the meeting too long, give them options whether paper books, e-books, articles on the Internet or whatever. Also, allow members to read various subjects instead of one subject or one book. Be flexible and more people will be willing to participate enthusiastically. Also, do other activities together other than the book club purpose.

Silver Member
    I couldn't pick a favourite book either. There are times in my life where a book that has impacted me deeply then wouldn't have the same effect on me now. The one genre I will not read is horror, merely because I get scared easily.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    It depends. I was in two main ones. The first lasted for years and we often met at restaurants. I'm still in touch with most of the women. The second seemed so promising -in my building -meeting at houses - but after three meetings as mentioned there was a falling out. Also I really disliked one of the books -a memoir by a person who made not funny but meant to be funny insensitive comments about a particular culture. I am not the biggest fan of "having" to read something but in my first book group we read some really awesome books -I might even reread one.
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    It's not exhausting if the book club founder or organizer makes it easy for its members. People are very busy so meet at a public place, don't drag out the meeting too long, give them options whether paper books, e-books, articles on the Internet or whatever. Also, allow members to read various subjects instead of one subject or one book. Be flexible and more people will be willing to participate enthusiastically. Also, do other activities together other than the book club purpose.
    I think what really worries me is the commitment... if I could opt in and out depending on my schedule, or whether I was interested in/ enjoyed reading the book, whether I actually kept pace with the group in terms of reading, etc... all without disrupting the other members of the group.

Originally Posted by mylolita
    Jibralta... could we have a virtual eNotAlone book club?!

x
    Haha. Well, Lonesome Dove does sound like an interesting read. There was a miniseries years ago. I watched it when I was in my 20s but it was around even before that. I don't remember it at all.

But I like historical fiction, so the book sounds appealing.

If the book club could just be a thread to discuss a book without a set time and schedule, I might be able to pull it off!

Originally Posted by mylolita
    What is your favourite book of all time? What would it be? And why?
    Oh god, what a question.

I like so many.

As a kid, I was always drawn to sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I recently re-read a lot of those old books and I still really like them. One of my favorite books is called The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle. It's such a wise, metaphorical book.

I've tried to expand my horizons and have read some of the "classics," like the Bronte sisters, Jane Austin, Sir Walter Scott, Alexandre Dumas, etc. It takes time to get used to the older English language. I've had to read most of these books several times in order to get a good understanding of the language and the story. But they don't disappoint!!

I recently finished a trilogy by Alice Borchardt, about shape-shifters. This was a re-read of a series that I picked up in my late teens/early 20s. After I bought the first book (The Silver Wolf), I learned that Alice Borchardt was the sister of Anne Rice. I liked a lot of Anne Rice's books, and I started to become paranoid that I was only liking Alice Borchardt's books because I liked Anne Rice's books.

But now that I've re-read them, I know that I truly like Alice's writing as well. There's something informal and fun about them (even though they can be explicit and gory). I will probably pick up some of her other series. I think they are all interconnected.

Now I'm reading The Pioneers by James Fenimore Cooper. This is another exercise in language comprehension, but I like it so far. He has a gentle humor that I did not expect. That's because my only experience with any story by Cooper was the movie Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis and that was definitely not funny.

I think To Kill a Mockingbird is a masterpiece of writing.

Another absolute masterpiece: Gone With the Wind. Forget the movie. The book is where it's at.

I think Stephen King is a great author.

I very much enjoyed all Thomas Harris's books revolving around the world of Hannibal Lecter.

I love Frank Herbert's Dune and have reread that book about a million times. I've read most of the sequels as well. They are not the easiest books, but they are so interesting.

Another tough but excellent book: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. Really brilliant. I've read that a couple times and after my last job experience I think I'm due to read it again soon.

I could go on forever, so I'll just stop here.

Platinum Member
    "Another absolute masterpiece: Gone With the Wind. Forget the movie. The book is where it's at."
    Yes totally. Read it so many times.

Another tough but excellent book: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. Really brilliant. I've read that a couple times and after my last job experience I think I'm due to read it again soon.

I could go on forever, so I'll just stop here.

I loved Atlas Shrugged. It is a brilliant insight into the greed and entitlement attitude of humans.

Silver Member
    So nice to find out that there are many bookworms at enotalone! Reading is attractive, I think.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Videos

Why People Lie On Online Dating Services?

Relationships During Quarantine

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?

How To Overcome A Divorce

Love Hormone Oxytocin Improves Stressful Relationships
Give Advice
Ask For Advice