Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting A Book Club - Kindle vs A Real Book - Your Opinion Please!

Originally Posted by bluecastle
    I'll meet your riff with a riff.

Big reader here—and, all in all, an analog soul. As such, I'm not big on the Kindle thing, though I don't have the same distaste for it. Call me an e-book agnostic? For me it's just mediocre technology compared to a 3D book, which, let's remember, is also very much a form of technology, one I prefer to, I don't know, a handwritten scroll on papyrus.

I absorb words better on the page than on the screen, so that's how I generally read them. I also like seeing them stacked up—on the shelves, against the walls—because I can look at them and remember where I was, and who I was, when reading them: the stoop in Big City X in the late 90s, the rear patio in Tropical City Y a week before the big storm rolled through, and, protecting into the future, a few recently finished hardbacks that, one day, will remind me of the strange days of shelter-in-place, and so on.

But if Kindle and the like resonates for some? Have at it! My best friend drives a Tesla, is all about "optimization" through tech. Works for him, while I ride a dirt bike and drive a 20 year old truck, both technological marvels in their own right, while being, I admit, pretty lame in running on a substance that causes untold human and environmental strife. Different strokes, different folks. Zooming out, I think the world is more interesting for having room for both of us, along with everything in between and on the other side.
    Bluecastle,

This is just the best reply, I couldn't of asked for a more interesting perspective. And with this, of course, you are right - it is all technology, even the printed word, even writing in general! What can I say, there is irony in my argument, totally!

If we are to go down this line, I guess people listening to audio books are taking it back to the purest form when what, early human used to sit around the camp fire telling stories to each other and then these stories would be re-told and passed on through generations, purely the spoken word? That makes me with my book a heathen I guess!

Ahh what to do ay. I should just chill, what does it matter? But if I'm being honest, I could never be neutral about this subject. I just adore books.

Thank you fellow bookie for your insight! And, by the way, I'd stick with the truck. And this is coming from someone who's husband has recently put a deposit down to secure a new Tesla next year or whatever he's doing. I'm not too happy about it, but that's another conversation for another day!

Lo x

Originally Posted by Spawn
    old soul bookworm...hardcopy works for me.
    oh when it gets old and yellow it looks like good showoff piece as well :)
    I have books from the 80s, few of dads collection may be from 70s.
    Still kept a lot for the large book shelf, the lockdown started reading few of them loads of time for use now.
    For job/certification i have ebooks online courses provides you with pdf formatted workbooks so thats new age flavor works for me too.
    Old soul seems to sum us book lovers up!

Not such a bad thing :)

Lo x

[QUOTE=I prefer the future and digital for anything work-related. I do have pretty strong opinions about going paper-less or eliminating paper from every day administrative tasks. Some companies are more difficult to transition than others![/QUOTE]

Rose Mosse!

You bring a very valid and unmentioned point to this - the environmental factor, and I do get that I do! I try to go paperless everywhere else, and I mostly try to buy secondhand books if I can, but I don't always try my hardest. Point taken, they are trees at the end of the day.

I figure, buy antiques, buy old houses, nothing new having to be created for me as much, recycle what I can and re-use or giveaway anything unwanted. As a lifestyle it is the best I can do for now, something to consider though.

Best,
    Lo x

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by mylolita
    Seraphim - you both have raised your son right ;)

Lo x
    I think it is because we were adults before the digital age.

Sweet Lolita!
    Nothing more wonderful than stories told at the fireside (by an actual present human being lol).
    On a Wintry evening.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Oops--posted this on your duplicate thread:

I have a lot of books and very little space. I thought I'd never go the route of the kindle (or nook), but not long ago I was seriously considering it.

I'm like up to my armpits in books. The simple act of cleaning this apartment is like solving a 4x4 sliding puzzle. And books are a b*tch to move.

But I never caved in to my impulse to buy the kindle. I don't know if I ever will.

One thing I really like about books (besides the tactile experience of reading them) is the fact that they're not blasting light into my eyeballs.

My boyfriend has a kindle and he reads comic books on it. THAT is really cool. Kindles and comics work well together.

Computer screens don't bother my boyfriend's eyes, though.

As for books on tape... I enjoyed one once. It was called In the Kingdom of Ice and it was fantastic.

I probably never would have read it in book form. But the audio book was perfect for the long, mindless drives that I was making during that time.
    Jibralta!

So cool to hear from you, thank you for your response! You always give an intelligent and very quirky insight into just about everything.

I get it, I do! My Uncle, he is a retired judge now, but him and my Aunt used to live in this amazingly old, dim, sprawling cottage in Northumberland in the middle of nowhere. So isolated, that the only building 5 miles from them was, get this; a monastery. I didn't even realise those places still existed. Driving up, you'd come across a monk on a hill verge just meditating out into the sunset! Incredible.

Anyway, in their cottage it was what you could call a book haven. A book heaven? A book dumping! Seriously, that place was full to its creaking, caving rafters with books. They stacked them on the stone flags high enough to use as side tables, they had aching shelves over doorframes. The place was brimming. Not just with law volumes but my Aunty, she loves nature and is practically a botanist, but not professionally. She had thousands of books on plants and biology. I don't need to say anymore, as a child, I digged this. The impact of all those books, claustrophobically everywhere, has never left me and even though I know personally I could never live like that, man did I love it. And that's just the thing, if that cottage had none of those book and a GOD DAMN IT Kindle on their coffee table, I'm sorry, it ain't the same babes and my Uncle and Aunt would obviously agree.

More than twenty years later they would also agree with you - books are a b***h to move ;) They moved house and, well, you can imagine... hahahaha!

Lo x

Platinum Member
    So I donate my old books and have been doing a lot of library borrowing - will do more when it reopens ! My son is 11 and we love reading real books together. I don’t think the book club issues are gender based.

For years my husband and I and some friends had a regular game night and that spawned some interesting in fighting too. Again I wasn’t involved. Well one time I was judged for falling asleep during one. But they didn't know I was in my first trimester and exhausted lol. Nothing to do with gender. The males bickered as much or more and created drama.
    So interesting about the house thing. It helps this discussion because I literally have no interest in houses other than when it’s like a museum. I like tours of famous houses.

Otherwise it bores me to tears and I admire living spaces at times and have no interest in hearing the details of decorating or renovating or why the person chose or built a certain house. Oddly I am into bed linens and bedding and choosing the most comfy etc. I’ve never lived in a house. And I don’t want to. Feel so fortunate now to make one phone call and have a maintenance person at my apartment door if there’s any issue whatsoever any time of day or night.

So maybe my inability to relate to that degree of interest in a living space is similar to a non real book reader not getting the appeal of a physical book. Thanks !

Originally Posted by mylolita
    Sarah - this is exactly it! Obviously the content is the same, the argument isn't about the content, rather the experience, it differs so and I am afraid I am team book!

Thank you for your input though, from readers of eBooks I have no resentment, I am just interested in your point of view.

Lo x
    Hi, mylolita,

I totally understand that books can make people feel warm, fuzzy, and nostalgic. In my house, I have an entire wall of books, many of which were my mother's first editions. I taught world literature for almost 30 years, and so I'm certainly not anti-paper book. I've read more than my share of paper books.

Audiobooks perform an important function for me. They allow me to get in my exercise while becoming absorbed in another world. So we're really talking about two different things here. Many people look at books as things, objects, memories, etc, sources of nostalgia and childhood, whereas I look at books strictly for the content. I guess it comes from the fact that I'm not overly sentimental about things.

Thanks for the discussion!!!

I like having a physical collection of things. I also *really* like that on a single hand-held device, I can go between historical non-fiction titles, The Witcher books, husbandry books, and advanced plumbing manuals. Especially with fiction and textbooks, I'll probably buy the physical copy even if I've got the digital version. Same with movies and videogames even if I can download or stream them. I'm a giant sucker for Steelbooks and obviously the physical disc that comes with it.

My wife is by far the bigger reader between us and has got more than a couple full bookshelves. Always a few soft covers lying on various surface around the house. She still makes a habit of appropriating my 8" tablet to use the Kindle app, though. Just kinda is what it is. I think it's fine if you prefer one or the other, or if you can appreciate both.

In this Information Age, give people options.

I'm more old school and love paper books. However, others prefer the convenience of e-books, Kindle, Internet, etc.

After staring at a computer, cell phone and TV, my eyes are strained, therefore, I need a break from electronic screens so paper books it is for me.

Be flexible otherwise you'll limit members in your book club.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Videos

What Does Betrayal Do To Relationships?

What Is Good To Know About The First Date

Online Dating Websites Most Frequently Used By Older Adults

Blogging Helps New Moms Handle Parental Stress

What Do Men And Women Want In A Relationship?

Benefits Of Online Education
Give Advice
Ask For Advice