Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Crowd funding isolation gigs for local original live music, is there a demand?

1a1a

I've been seeing musicians streaming their music on facebook for free, or with tip jars. And as a patron I am really starting to miss going to gigs (different genres to what the ones inclined to live stream play). I'm a sound tech by trade too, so wrangling together some bands and the equipment to make a high fidelity mix to broadcast is certainly within my means (frankly I would rather include a lighting show too if the market supports it).

So my mind wanders to trying to activate venues that are currently closed for closed to the public/live streamed concerts. But I would want to pay a hire fee, and I'd want to pay the bands, and I'd want to pay myself. Which makes me wonder if people would be willing to pay for a ticket (like $10 same as a live show would cost). But then you are still gambling on them feeling like attending on the day, so then i wonder if maybe actually crowd funding would be a good format for making such a live stream manifest?

So I put this question out there into the universe. Did you used to go to gigs or would you like to go to gigs? Do you miss seeing bands play enough to participate in crowd funding live streamed shows? (Still I would think pretty cheap, $10 buy in) I think I would like the live stream to be something that could also host a chat function so the people watching can interact and those who can't make it during the live broadcast should be able to access the video after the fact.

I would probably not pay $10 for watching a video, nor would I contribute to a go fund me page unless it were a charity case or had a charitable function..

if people would be willing to pay for a ticket (like $10 same as a live show would cost).

Would you go out to watch local bands under normal circumstances? (And if yes what genres?)

To make the distinction, I mean crowd funding as in, like a kick starter, you are essentially paying for the product before it is developed because you like the idea and you would want to buy that if it did exist. Not charity, not a go fund me.

I would see live music but not spend $10 to see a video, nor contribute to anything that is not donating some part to good causes. Investments are an entirely different situation.

I mean crowd funding as in, like a kick starter, you are essentially paying for the product before it is developed because you like the idea and you would want to buy that if it did exist.

I appreciate your data points and I am curious why you feel money for a live performance that you can only access via the PC due to health reasons is an act of charity? Assuming you like the bands playing and want to support them isn't that why we pay the price of admission when we go out?

My fiance is in a rock band, and his band and many others have been recording themselves and uploading to fb. It's hard as they're all having to record separately due to social distancing and no in person practice. The timings are off.

Would I pay to watch? Honestly, when you can access recordings maybe not.

However, if the bands can still interact with the crowd and maybe even do sing requests while playing live. I might be tempted. But only with the crowd interaction as that's a huge part of going to a gig.

It's simply another take on pay-per-view. With so many well know artists doing 'live' shows for free or to benefit people in this crisis, you will have some stiff competition. If you want a pay-per-view situation, call it that. It's for profit, not charitable or philanthropic. People pay for stuff all the time, cable, internet, apps, etc.

money for a live performance that you can only access via the PC due to health reasons is an act of charity?

I never called it for charity, you extrapolated that from the use of the crowd funding concept to ensure market demand where as what I mean by that is you have the money from people wanting to participate before you put the thing on.

Yeah, pay per view, exactly that. But with presale tickets so to speak. Which brings me back to do other people miss gigs and would they want to pay a token fee to see their favourite locals live streamed?

Good perspective Butterfly wrists. You could get very close to the same effect from listening to or watching live sets recorded in the before times. Although not all bands have them and there is more energy off of live shows than studio recordings, in between song banter etc. But live streamed iso concerts could allow people to go on giving live performances in a fashion while it’s unsafe to do them in person (which I think could drag on for the next couple of years). I see all the ad hoc live streams too (nothing with the timing issues of trying to stitch together disparate audio tracks though), I’m thinking more a proper show with full production, band, good sound, lighting

Yeah, South Australia has no known cases so they've eased restrictions. Technically we probably could have the whole time because the wording of the restrictions was bad "essential workers can still go to work and if you have to go to work you're essential" but in the thick of the storm why risk it?! I'm thinking more things will come back over the next few months, and stay back if we don't get case spikes. But I don't think live music will be among them, not financially viable when social distancing limits the possible number of attendees (plus alcohol and social distancing sound like a really bad mix). Hence contemplating the viability of alternatives.

Using live stream to sell merch is a savvy idea, actually, I think this is why a lot of bands put on tours. Tours don't make money, merch sales do. I don't want to work for free though (as the tech making it sound shmick) so a scenario where audience liked and wanted to see bands perform enough to pay for it is the only instance in which the activity is worth pursueing, from my perspective anyway.

Ok so that is really a loan. You want money Before delivering any goods. Add to that no one wants to pay $ 10 when there are tons of free live streams. It's understandable that entertainment has been hit by all this, but try to think of a more viable way to do this.

People are not going to pay $ 10 in advance for a live stream. You need to rethink this model. You are trying to mash up two entirely different concepts. One is buy real tickets for a real band at a real venue in advance and then trying to make it a virtual event, with paying in advance rather than at the time of delivery..

Yeah, pay per view, exactly that. But with presale tickets so to speak.
I never called it for charity, you extrapolated that from the use of the crowd funding concept to ensure market demand where as what I mean by that is you have the money from people wanting to participate before you put the thing on.

Yeah, pay per view, exactly that. But with presale tickets so to speak. Which brings me back to do other people miss gigs and would they want to pay a token fee to see their favourite locals live streamed?

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't pay for this unless there was a charity component.

Also, $10.00 isn't a 'token fee' if it's the same cost as a live show.

Which makes me wonder if people would be willing to pay for a ticket (like $10 same as a live show would cost).

Pie in the sky scenario, I wrangle some grant money from the state govt to pay for it ah hah (I mean, that's not impossible, may as well try and apply).

An aversion to paying for a live streamed concert suggests one is not really interested in the product. Which is totally ok.

Quite why people expect musicians to play for free though I do not understand. (Although again, circle back to, this just isn't an interesting enough experience to want to pay for it I guess).

I say token because, yes, $10 is the same as a local show but it's hardly a cost that covers the cost of goods supplied. In that respect it is token. Which is why I ask in the first place would there even be market demand for such a thing.

I pqy £50+ to see a band such as slipknot Luce. £6 for my fiance small covers band. I wouldn't pay to see my fiance babe when they're doing free streams on fb. But a bigger band, even if it isn't huge like slipknot, Metallica etc, I might consider it. Especially I'd there was something unique on offer, such as new material or merch, an experience or something you won't get elsewhere.

So a band has a new song, or will use (if set up like zoom) viewers in a video for a song etc.? Do you get what I mean?

I probably wouldn't want to pay full price for this, but would be perhaps willing to pay £30 using a big band like slipknot as an example pricing.

A band which costs £15 a ticket, maybe£10 etc?

Do you have a website and utilize social media to promote your band/music? For example with a sample clip? People like free samples and that is a well known way to draw in customers.

Many artists started out busking and many artists get royalties. Unfortunately with what is going on in the world people are buying toilet paper and hand sanitizer and losing their jobs, so diversions unfortunately, can fall to the wayside.

Quite why people expect musicians to play for free though I do not understand.

I say token because, yes, $10 is the same as a local show but it's hardly a cost that covers the cost of goods supplied.

Do you mean find a way to represent what the live stream would be like to entice people in? Could be an angle.

I get ya butterflywrists, there has to be a point of difference to make it worth it. I think the social angle could be that. That’s probably the lonely extravert in me talking though ah hah. There is a very well regarded local

Tribute band live streaming in my city next week. They’ve toured international, but it is only a tribute band. But they’re only charging 8 bucks US (usually maybe $30, $40 Australian). Even that cheap I’m not sure if people will pay to watch but that is coloured by my own indifference to covers. I await with curiosity.

Oh Jibralta, I have tiiiime (also some theories of my own, like a lack of quality control in the line ups for one. But strike me down, the arts have really shot themselves in the foot flooding the internet with free live streams.....flood being the operative word. A handful in dark times were most certainly uplifting)

Do you mean find a way to represent what the live stream would be like to entice people in? Could be an angle.

I get ya butterflywrists, there has to be a point of difference to make it worth it. I think the social angle could be that. That’s probably the lonely extravert in me talking though ah hah. There is a very well regarded local

Tribute band live streaming in my city next week. They’ve toured international, but it is only a tribute band. But they’re only charging 8 bucks US (usually maybe $30, $40 Australian). Even that cheap I’m not sure if people will pay to watch but that is coloured by my own indifference to covers. I await with curiosity.

Oh Jibralta, I have tiiiime (also some theories of my own, like a lack of quality control in the line ups for one. But strike me down, the arts have really shot themselves in the foot flooding the internet with free live streams.....flood being the operative word. A handful in dark times were most certainly uplifting)

See how your local band do to see if it is a market worth chasing, and look into what can be offered to make it different from every other free stream out there :)

You are not marketing your product well if you are not on every type of social media with announcements, updates, interesting content and samples. You also need to have a socially conscious angle these days but especially right now. If big names are doing it why aren't you?

Why can anyone access the so many well known performers for free and you expect money upfront before even providing anything? For example why do you not have a post, tweet whatever about how you provided first responders free access or to people who are going to food banks. etc. " "Give me give me upfront" is not a good strategy.

Archived