Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crowd funding isolation gigs for local original live music, is there a demand?

How would you put together the "full production"? Is this allowed where you live?

Platinum Member
    Yeah, South Australia has no known cases so they've eased restrictions. Technically we probably could have the whole time because the wording of the restrictions was bad "essential workers can still go to work and if you have to go to work you're essential" but in the thick of the storm why risk it?! I'm thinking more things will come back over the next few months, and stay back if we don't get case spikes. But I don't think live music will be among them, not financially viable when social distancing limits the possible number of attendees (plus alcohol and social distancing sound like a really bad mix). Hence contemplating the viability of alternatives.

Using live stream to sell merch is a savvy idea, actually, I think this is why a lot of bands put on tours. Tours don't make money, merch sales do. I don't want to work for free though (as the tech making it sound shmick) so a scenario where audience liked and wanted to see bands perform enough to pay for it is the only instance in which the activity is worth pursueing, from my perspective anyway.

Ok so that is really a loan. You want money Before delivering any goods. Add to that no one wants to pay $ 10 when there are tons of free live streams. It's understandable that entertainment has been hit by all this, but try to think of a more viable way to do this.

People are not going to pay $ 10 in advance for a live stream. You need to rethink this model. You are trying to mash up two entirely different concepts. One is buy real tickets for a real band at a real venue in advance and then trying to make it a virtual event, with paying in advance rather than at the time of delivery..
    Originally Posted by 1a1a
    Yeah, pay per view, exactly that. But with presale tickets so to speak.

I never called it for charity, you extrapolated that from the use of the crowd funding concept to ensure market demand where as what I mean by that is you have the money from people wanting to participate before you put the thing on.

Yeah, pay per view, exactly that. But with presale tickets so to speak. Which brings me back to do other people miss gigs and would they want to pay a token fee to see their favourite locals live streamed?
    To be brutally honest, I wouldn't pay for this unless there was a charity component.

Also, $10.00 isn't a 'token fee' if it's the same cost as a live show.

Which makes me wonder if people would be willing to pay for a ticket (like $10 same as a live show would cost).

Platinum Member
    Pie in the sky scenario, I wrangle some grant money from the state govt to pay for it ah hah (I mean, that's not impossible, may as well try and apply).

An aversion to paying for a live streamed concert suggests one is not really interested in the product. Which is totally ok.

Quite why people expect musicians to play for free though I do not understand. (Although again, circle back to, this just isn't an interesting enough experience to want to pay for it I guess).

I say token because, yes, $10 is the same as a local show but it's hardly a cost that covers the cost of goods supplied. In that respect it is token. Which is why I ask in the first place would there even be market demand for such a thing.

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    I pqy £50+ to see a band such as slipknot Luce. £6 for my fiance small covers band. I wouldn't pay to see my fiance babe when they're doing free streams on fb. But a bigger band, even if it isn't huge like slipknot, Metallica etc, I might consider it. Especially I'd there was something unique on offer, such as new material or merch, an experience or something you won't get elsewhere.
    So a band has a new song, or will use (if set up like zoom) viewers in a video for a song etc.? Do you get what I mean?

I probably wouldn't want to pay full price for this, but would be perhaps willing to pay £30 using a big band like slipknot as an example pricing.
    A band which costs £15 a ticket, maybe£10 etc?

Quite why people expect musicians to play for free though I do not understand.
    Oh, I have a lot of theories about that! But I'll save those for a different thread.

Do you have a website and utilize social media to promote your band/music? For example with a sample clip? People like free samples and that is a well known way to draw in customers.

Many artists started out busking and many artists get royalties. Unfortunately with what is going on in the world people are buying toilet paper and hand sanitizer and losing their jobs, so diversions unfortunately, can fall to the wayside.
    Quite why people expect musicians to play for free though I do not understand.
    I say token because, yes, $10 is the same as a local show but it's hardly a cost that covers the cost of goods supplied.

Platinum Member
    Do you mean find a way to represent what the live stream would be like to entice people in? Could be an angle.

I get ya butterflywrists, there has to be a point of difference to make it worth it. I think the social angle could be that. Thatís probably the lonely extravert in me talking though ah hah. There is a very well regarded local
    Tribute band live streaming in my city next week. Theyíve toured international, but it is only a tribute band. But theyíre only charging 8 bucks US (usually maybe $30, $40 Australian). Even that cheap Iím not sure if people will pay to watch but that is coloured by my own indifference to covers. I await with curiosity.

Oh Jibralta, I have tiiiime (also some theories of my own, like a lack of quality control in the line ups for one. But strike me down, the arts have really shot themselves in the foot flooding the internet with free live streams.....flood being the operative word. A handful in dark times were most certainly uplifting)

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    Do you mean find a way to represent what the live stream would be like to entice people in? Could be an angle.

I get ya butterflywrists, there has to be a point of difference to make it worth it. I think the social angle could be that. Thatís probably the lonely extravert in me talking though ah hah. There is a very well regarded local
    Tribute band live streaming in my city next week. Theyíve toured international, but it is only a tribute band. But theyíre only charging 8 bucks US (usually maybe $30, $40 Australian). Even that cheap Iím not sure if people will pay to watch but that is coloured by my own indifference to covers. I await with curiosity.

Oh Jibralta, I have tiiiime (also some theories of my own, like a lack of quality control in the line ups for one. But strike me down, the arts have really shot themselves in the foot flooding the internet with free live streams.....flood being the operative word. A handful in dark times were most certainly uplifting)
    See how your local band do to see if it is a market worth chasing, and look into what can be offered to make it different from every other free stream out there :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Videos

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men
Give Advice
Ask For Advice