Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: Feeling down about a setback

  1. #41
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,162
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    Also, I am an attractive young lady (at least my boyfriend and friends and mom definitely think so) who can do my makeup to the point where Ive been told I could be a professional, I take care of my hair and wore a black turtleneck that day :). My home is clean and well decorated. I have my life together in these basic respects you bring up but thank you for that. I felt an awkward vibe from them though I will say that. I think deep down somewhere they are ashamed to ask people to copy someone else.

    And yes greed that its not "spontaneous" but since the reason they are giving me is that things simply changed with regards to the budget, they are not telling me the real reason which is also an issue for me.
    So what if you did your make-up? Surely it didn't take you that long? Is it necessary to blow this out so much and make it all so dramatic?

  2. #42
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    Originally Posted by Tinydance
    Sorry I haven't actually read all the comments, but I read most of them. Of course I don't know what career field you're talking about, so maybe can't give 100% informed advice. It sounds to me to be really honest like you're being difficult. It's normal to be disappointed but you're acting too dramatic in my opinion. To me your situation sounds like going for a job interview. If I was going for a job interview, yes, I would do my hair, make-up, put smart clothes on. In most cases I would travel to the job interview. Some I went to were even quite far away. I travelled for an hour or more in some cases. You have a job interview but there is no guarantee you'll get the job. It doesn't mean they wasted your time because you didn't get the job. They're not obliged to give it to you.

    You keep talking about that they really wasted your time. 40 minutes is not that much time. You didn't even travel anywhere, you were at your own place. Yeah OK you put make-up on but that's what you do for a job interview. You wouldn't be sitting there in your pyjamas so yes there is a dress code for a job interview. You didn't really go out of your way much to have this conversation.

    Sounds to me like you're jealous of your boyfriend and that might be the real problem? You admit that you compare yourself to him. That's not healthy. You shouldn't compare yourself to other people.

    You're saying maybe you won't reply to their E-mail. Don't you think that's unprofessional? You have to act mature and professional in work situations and not let your personal feelings get in the way.
    Listen, not responding is NOT dramatic. Its not anything. It is LITERALLY nothing lol. Especially considering I dont want to work witth them at this point, or ever. And to say Im jealous of my boyfriend is the "real" problem? After everything else I wrote about this company, are you freaking kidding me lmao? Yeah everybody compares themselves to everybody, he is an inspiration to me and I wish to be where he is someday, thats called human nature and Im sure you do it too? But I have a healthy self esteem and thats all that matters. It doesnt mean I dont get work and praise of my own.

    Its honestly shocking the number of people defending this company like I’m the one way out of line?

    That Im getting “too emotional” expecting basic decency, and 'oh you must have put them off by something you said/did on the phone’”? Telling me whats normal in my field including a whole interview for a job that I NEVER EVEN APPLIED TO ! Even though my work speaks for itself & was clearly good enough for them to consider me in the first place. You don’t hire an engineer or a plumber for their personality! You don’t order from Amazon because Jeff Bezos was just so nice on TV! My field doesnt work that way, and is in fact expected to be filled with weird quirky socially awkward people but thats way besides the point of what we actually do!

    Just by the very nature of what they’re asking me to do, its clear they’re not exactly committed to the moral high ground OR respectful of my line of work. Beyond my initial offense, to me this is a logical observation of what I’d be getting in to. But no one cares about this point, just how "difficult" I am. After I went along with this whole thing?!

    And if I WAS applying for a job, you better believe they would judge me by the number of employers I bounced between, but for some reason I shouldn’t judge that this company can’t seem to keep anyone for long? Because MAYBE my experience will be the exception to the rule somehow once I’m locked into a contract?


    Honestly, its one thing with the snarky, unhelpful, unrealistic, self righteous relationship advice on here but this whole career section should be deleted. I don’t know if its just being heavily medicated or Sometimes it seems like this whole country is brainwashed. Socialism is such a dirty word that people are AFRAID, even ASHAMED to advocate for the average working person for fear of being seen as a weak entitled complainers, or being DIFFICULT ooooh god forbid!

    Teaching people to settle for the least and allow others to set a tone of disrespect in their careers, how is that helpful in the long term? No thank you! Last time I ever ask a question here, I will try reddit next time.

  3. #43
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    Originally Posted by Tinydance
    So what if you did your make-up? Surely it didn't take you that long? Is it necessary to blow this out so much and make it all so dramatic?
    Once again its not just about the makeup. You literally cherry picked one of the smallest issues I have with this company, this whole situation, and have the nerve to say Im blowing out of proportion.

  4. 05-17-2020, 01:37 PM

  5. #44
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,433
    Gender
    Male
    Maybe I got it wrong but are you asking why they didn't take into consideration your time and effort? I will not tell you that you are wrong (or right) but this is how the game is played, if you think you can change the rules do it. I will be the first to support you!

  6.  

  7. #45
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    Originally Posted by dias
    Maybe I got it wrong but are you asking why they didn't take into consideration your time and effort? I will not tell you that you are wrong (or right) but this is how the game is played, if you think you can change the rules do it. I will be the first to support you!
    ....no... let me recap for you

    1. Company contacts me with proposed project

    2. Company coincidentally worked with my boyfriend years ago. He was shocked and stressed just hearing that they found me somehow, almost exhibiting PTSD like symptoms.

    3. Company hired someone after my boyfriend stopped working with them, to COPY his work.

    4. Company has HUGE financial resources. They ask me my rates, boyfriend and I discuss what they payed him and gives me opinion, I settled for the lower end.

    6. I write back my rates just to see what they say, they in fact agree and want to set up a phone call "to talk more about the project"

    7. I comply, take time out of my day, listen to them talk about their project for 40 minutes and all seems well. During the course of this conversation, they do in fact ask if I can "approximate" my boyfriends previous work, as in copy. I tell them I can make it complimentary but I cant simply rip him off. *they laugh awkwardly*

    8. I recieve an email a few days later informing me that circumstances have changed and they cant move forward with the previously stated rates. Previously as in, before they bothered with an entire hour long phone call that could have fit neatly into a PDF in my inbox.


    3.

  8. #46
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    To be clear: Im not asking if I'm correct that they wasted my time. To me its obvious that they intentionally led me on and lured me in before dropping their huge steaming Sht bomb, which is that they're looking for someone to steal intellectual property, and made sure to do it over video so they could smooth over any awkwardness if possible, and see if I'm really "down". But it seems like people are only looking for reasons why IM at fault here? They are shady, period, and you wont convince me I'm the one being difficult here. My boyfriend would say the same thing, and he actually has first hand experience and is a lovely person. I am familiar with how this goes. That was never the question, I did the video call and was friendly. And now with them informing me suddenly they cant pay my rates with no other context, lets just say every message doesn't need or deserve a response.

    Its just that some people are extremely intelligent and can think of ideas on the spot for how to turn a bad situation into an advantageous one. I was hoping for some of that, or maybe something reassuring. Thanks anyway!

  9. #47
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,020
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    Its just that some people are extremely intelligent and can think of ideas on the spot for how to turn a bad situation into an advantageous one.
    Maybe one day you'll be someone like that.

  10. #48
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,433
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    ....no... let me recap for you

    1. Company contacts me with proposed project

    2. Company coincidentally worked with my boyfriend years ago. He was shocked and stressed just hearing that they found me somehow, almost exhibiting PTSD like symptoms.

    3. Company hired someone after my boyfriend stopped working with them, to COPY his work.

    4. Company has HUGE financial resources. They ask me my rates, boyfriend and I discuss what they payed him and gives me opinion, I settled for the lower end.

    6. I write back my rates just to see what they say, they in fact agree and want to set up a phone call "to talk more about the project"

    7. I comply, take time out of my day, listen to them talk about their project for 40 minutes and all seems well. During the course of this conversation, they do in fact ask if I can "approximate" my boyfriends previous work, as in copy. I tell them I can make it complimentary but I cant simply rip him off. *they laugh awkwardly*

    8. I recieve an email a few days later informing me that circumstances have changed and they cant move forward with the previously stated rates. Previously as in, before they bothered with an entire hour long phone call that could have fit neatly into a PDF in my inbox.


    3.
    I don't think you are in the wrong here. I also don't think they are in the (very) wrong too though. Probably they rethought your pay rate and figured out they could find someone cheaper. You will tell me yeah they knew the price before suggesting the interview so why did they waste your time? People change their minds, you can't blame them for this.

    Regarding copying your boyfriend's work, in an ideal world that might be unethical. In this world, hmm, I doubt your will find your right. I am thinking though, if you just needed to copy your boyfriend's work you could have made some easy bucks there...?

    PS to DancingFool. Outsourcing is not that cheap. Maybe 50% less, not 90%. At least in software engineering.

  11. #49
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Maybe one day you'll be someone like that.
    I like to be realistic about what I currently know and don't know, or can and cant do.

  12. #50
    Platinum Member boltnrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    14,367
    My husband applied for a job. Did a phone screen, they liked him. They asked him to come for a second interview, in their words to iron out details. We drove up there (an hour and a half) to just kind of check out the area, we liked it. He drove up for the second interview. During that interview he was told they'd decided to "downgrade" the position because they realized after talking to a few candidates they didn't want to pay the going rate for the original position.

    It was super disappointing, but it happens. I supposed he wasted time (and gas) driving 3 hours round trip but again, it happens.

    Are you still feeling "down" or are you more angry now?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Videos


Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •