Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Feeling down about a setback

Just like an in person interview, there is a lot they want to gather to rule you in or out. Legal or not, sometimes they want to see things they are not allowed to ask. Sometimes it's attitude, how you speak, come across, etc.

Apparently the video-call did not go well from their point of view. Their turn-around was far from "spontaneous". Practice your video skills and make sure your voice, appearance, word choices, etc are professional.

Practice videocalls with friends to get the technical kinks out as well as get feedback on what your background looks like, lighting, audio, etc. As you unfortunately found out, from their end the video-call was vital to rule you out or give you an offer you would refuse so they would not have to hire you.
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    There was no need for a nearly hour long video call! They schedule this call where literally everything could have been communicated by email, only to "spontaneously" change their mind.

^Agree with this too.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    I frankly don't see what's the big deal. Being very honest with you here. They can do whatever they want and having you video call is a very minor issue. Many jobs have more than one interview and one video call is the least of it with no guarantees for placement or getting the job or even the salary or rates you request. Look, you seem to have a bone to pick at every turn with this company from their rates to the way they hire. This isn't a good choice for you. If it's causing you this much headache, don't reply to them and don't apply with them again.
    I'm sorry thats been your experience for so many jobs but I cant say the same as this isn't really the norm in the past few years Ive been working. Again I never applied for anything, they saw what I offer, contacted me, requested my rates, and agreed. But again thank you for your feedback.

I've worked in HR unfortunately. Keep your chin up! There will be more opportunities.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Just like an in person interview, there is a lot they want to gather to rule you in or out. Legal or not, sometimes they want to see things they are not allowed to ask. Sometimes it's attitude, how you speak, come across, etc.

Apparently the video-call did not go well from their point of view. Their turn-around was far from "spontaneous". Practice your video skills and make sure your voice, appearance, word choices, etc are professional.

Practice videocalls with friends to get the technical kinks out as well as get feedback on what your background looks like, lighting, audio, etc. As you unfortunately found out, from their end the video-call was vital to rule you out or give you an offer you would refuse so they would not have to hire you.
    You don't even know what field this is! But trust me when I say interviews are not normal or required at all! I work remotely for a period of time. They request work, I deliver it... They know what I do by the time they contact me. this is not an office job.

Silver Member

Also, I am an attractive young lady (at least my boyfriend and friends and mom definitely think so) who can do my makeup to the point where Ive been told I could be a professional, I take care of my hair and wore a black turtleneck that day :). My home is clean and well decorated. I have my life together in these basic respects you bring up but thank you for that. I felt an awkward vibe from them though I will say that. I think deep down somewhere they are ashamed to ask people to copy someone else.

And yes greed that its not "spontaneous" but since the reason they are giving me is that things simply changed with regards to the budget, they are not telling me the real reason which is also an issue for me.
    Last edited by blitzkrieged; 05-16-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Silver Member
    I may not be the most popular or charismatic charmer in the world, but Ive been told I have a warm personality, my language and diction is fine, but my face is quite expressive so Im sure when the conversation ventured into the territory of actually stealing intellectual property, let alone from someone Iím very close to of all peopleÖ Iím sure my expression/tone betrayed me but what do they expect?

So the video-call was vital for you too. You know you are not a good fit.

Silver Member
    So the video-call was vital for you too. You know you are not a good fit.
    Nah, email would have worked fine. Instead they led me down a path with false incentives before making a request they know most people with a shred of integrity would decline.

Platinum Member
    Sorry I haven't actually read all the comments, but I read most of them. Of course I don't know what career field you're talking about, so maybe can't give 100% informed advice. It sounds to me to be really honest like you're being difficult. It's normal to be disappointed but you're acting too dramatic in my opinion. To me your situation sounds like going for a job interview. If I was going for a job interview, yes, I would do my hair, make-up, put smart clothes on. In most cases I would travel to the job interview. Some I went to were even quite far away. I travelled for an hour or more in some cases. You have a job interview but there is no guarantee you'll get the job. It doesn't mean they wasted your time because you didn't get the job. They're not obliged to give it to you.

You keep talking about that they really wasted your time. 40 minutes is not that much time. You didn't even travel anywhere, you were at your own place. Yeah OK you put make-up on but that's what you do for a job interview. You wouldn't be sitting there in your pyjamas so yes there is a dress code for a job interview. You didn't really go out of your way much to have this conversation.

Sounds to me like you're jealous of your boyfriend and that might be the real problem? You admit that you compare yourself to him. That's not healthy. You shouldn't compare yourself to other people.

You're saying maybe you won't reply to their E-mail. Don't you think that's unprofessional? You have to act mature and professional in work situations and not let your personal feelings get in the way.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice