Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: Feeling down about a setback

  1. #11
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I think itís a good opportunity to reply and attempt to negotiate for exactly what you want. Seriously, just for practice. The worst they can do is accept your counter offer!
    Yeah the problem is they are basically asking me to copy, and to do so cheaply when I know this exact company paid my own boyfriend around 1000 usd for things that would have taken him 1 hour max, in addition to a ton of other more involved work. Lets just say he made what some people make in a year with them. You get it right? Me doing the same exact type of work, perhaps even more, literally copying it in fact, and getting paid substantially less. I think the worst I can do in this case is trample all over my dignity because that practically reeks of desperation and low worth in my opinion.

  2. #12
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,951
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    Yeah the problem is they are basically asking me to copy, and to do so cheaply when I know this exact company paid my own boyfriend around 1000 usd for things that would have taken him 1 hour max, in addition to a ton of other more involved work. Lets just say he made what some people make in a year with them. You get it right? Me doing the same exact type of work, perhaps even more, literally copying it in fact, and getting paid substantially less.
    Understood.

    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    I think the worst I can do in this case is trample all over my dignity because that practically reeks of desperation and low worth in my opinion.
    It sounds like you would only trample all over your dignity if you agreed to work for them, and/or work for them for less than what your boyfriend made.

    What I'm saying is, use this as an opportunity to sharpen your negotiating skills.

    You don't want to work for them anyway, so you have nothing to lose by countering with the $$ you want.

    They can't reject you more than they already have.

    In fact, the worst case would be that they agree and offer you the job on your terms.

    Then you can reject them based on your principals if you want. You don't have to take the job.

    It's better to gain practical experience in being bold than it is to skulk away feeling insulted and demoralized.

  3. #13
    Platinum Member Lambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,794
    Business is business. Its not personal. They are letting you know its not going to happen. The professional thing to do is to reply with a thank you and maybe in the future we will cross paths again.

    Its ridiculous for you to feel you should be compensated for 40 minutes out of your life and doing your hair. If you really feel you should be compensated for your time, say that upfront.

    Professionally speaking, you will meet with companies and nothing may come of it many times throughout your career. Until its signed on the line, its all just talk.

    Toughen up your skin and stop comparing yourself to your bf. Work on your own skills and stay focused on you. That is the only way to succeed.... When you are the hardest working person in the room, someone is bound to notice. Its not gonna happen this time. move on. but don't burn bridges just being petty.

    Lastly, don't judge a company by what others say. Make your own judgments. I've worked places that others bad mouthed or whatever and I had a good expereince. If a company, your boss, co-workers, hours, pay, WHATEVER is horrible, its on you to change it. Not the company to make you happy. They aren't your mum. They act in their best interest. And its on you to act on yours. If that means a phony smile via email with a thanks, so be it.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    10,916
    Gender
    Female
    If you want to succeed, don't cut off your nose to spite your face and stop looking at work and business as something personal. It is not.

    If you are a contractor, then it's a large part of your job to do whatever makes the client happy. If they want you to copy someone's work because they like it, so be it. If they want you to use poop brown color in an ad, you can advise them against it, but if they insist, you document it in writing and do whatever the eff they want. What the client wants, likes, or needs is never about you. The more you understand this, the more you'll achieve your desire for success.

    Bidding for projects - that's always on you. That's your form of marketing efforts. Nobody is exempt from this or gets paid for it. You get paid when you close the deal.

    That said, be realistic. Times have changed abruptly and everyone is suddenly looking at costs and looking how to cut back and be conservative about money. You can be rude and just drop off or you can respond with a counter offer and have money in the bank when you are done. What someone else thought about the client is irrelevant to you. Your relationship with them might be completely different and much more successful....or less.... It's up to you really and how you manage things. Ultimately, understand that some things, you are competing globally - your bf might have gotten $1000, but they can easily hire some guy in India or Philippines for $100 for the same thing and job done. Beyond just $, you need to consider marketing potential for yourself. If you put out there that this bank is your client, how much additional well paid business is that going to bring in for you because you just added power and credibility? Think bigger, broader, smarter and more long term instead of "my ego got hurt today."

    At the end of the day, business is NOT about what your competitors think or consider right or wrong, it's about how much $$$$$ you land in your bank account. $$$ is winning and your competition clapping their hands because you won't copy.....that's the definition of losing. Get your perspective straight.

  5.  

  6. #15
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,951
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Ultimately, understand that some things, you are competing globally - your bf might have gotten $1000, but they can easily hire some guy in India or Philippines for $100 for the same thing and job done.
    That is sooooooooo true. I see it all the time in my industry, especially where graphics are concerned.

  7. #16
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    I find it problematic that the average american is so complacent to corporate greed.

    Its not that they donít have the money, its that they are not held accountable to pay fair wages while their CEOs get millions just in bonuses. And I might agree with you if, once again, their program wasnít literally giving away free money at random. I think that canít be overstressed enough in this particular case.

    And what is there to negotiate? The starting point was already much less. They agreed to it. Scheduled a phone call, talked for 40 minuted and then went back on something they already agreed upon. Furthermore I donít need exposure from them. Im not starting at level 0 and This is not the type of work I would necessarily want to be known for. Besides I have other work, I just saw this as one that could pay a substantial amount in uncertain times.
    Last edited by blitzkrieged; 05-16-2020 at 07:30 AM.

  8. #17
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    And if they can hire someone from India as mentioned, why wouldn't they? Why even contact me or someone like my boyfriend. Think about that one Į\_(ツ)_/Į

  9. #18
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,951
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    And if they can hire someone from India as mentioned, why wouldn't they? Why even contact me or someone like my boyfriend. Think about that one Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Because they have options. How do you know that they haven't contacted a contractor from overseas in addition to contracting you? Maybe that's why your offer plummeted the way it did.

    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    I find it problematic that the average american is so complacent to corporate greed.

    Its not that they donít have the money, its that they are not held accountable to pay fair wages while their CEOs get millions just in bonuses. And I might agree with you if, once again, their program wasnít literally giving away free money at random. I think that canít be overstressed enough in this particular case.

    And what is there to negotiate? The starting point was already much less. They agreed to it. Scheduled a phone call, talked for 40 minuted and then went back on something they already agreed upon. Furthermore I donít need exposure from them. Im not starting at level 0 and This is not the type of work I would necessarily want to be known for. Besides I have other work, I just saw this as one that could pay a substantial amount in uncertain times.
    I don't think your argument makes a lot of sense for a number of reasons. But I see no point in arguing with you. Bottom line is, it's your life.

  10. #19
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    430
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Because they have options. How do you know that they haven't contacted a contractor from overseas in addition to contracting you? Maybe that's why your offer plummeted the way it did.



    I don't think your argument makes a lot of sense for a number of reasons. But I see no point in arguing with you. Bottom line is, it's your life.

    If you don't think it makes sense let me know why?

    1. I think it makes perfect sense that if they have money they should pay me decently. At least comparable to what they have paid in the past for similar work.

    2. They know I live in the united states and my bills are in dollars. Now let me ask you why they would waste THEIR time as well, if they didn't understand that, and didn't comprehend the initial quote?

    Its just if you're going to even bother replying take one second to think of the situation, because I dont think your answer made close to any sense.


    Maybe their options aren't so great because not only does my boyfriend refuse to work with them (which is why they try to hire people to copy), but where did the guy go who copied after him? I even looked them up and there was another girl who did the SAME type of work, albeit in her own style and theres no trace of that except on her own portfolio. It would seem as though they're not the best client for an extended relationship based on what I can only call common sense (which by the way would greatly reduce their options, unless they're willing to pay).
    Last edited by blitzkrieged; 05-16-2020 at 09:35 AM.

  11. #20
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    39,485
    Gender
    Male
    What is this symbol?
    Originally Posted by blitzkrieged
    And if they can hire someone from India as mentioned, why wouldn't they? Why even contact me or someone like my boyfriend. Think about that one Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Videos


Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •