LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TikTok Challenge

TikTok Challenge

I recently saw a video that was a compilation of TikTok's. There was a challenge for anyone who had a best friend of the opposite sex. If you happened to have a secret crush on them, TikTok wanted you to attempt to kiss them and see what happened.

This is what really bothered me. Firstly, some outcomes were great. Whether it was the guy or girl attempting the kiss, it was very well received and some of them even ended up dating and being very happy.
    BUT, some of the kisses were not welcomed.

The men pushed the women away, but not in a nasty, mean way, more or less just to let them know they weren't into it.
    However, some of the women were much more brutal, they full on slapped the men.

It really bothered me.
    I am the mother of a son. I don't feel it's okay for women to haul off and hit whenever they please.
    This was not a stranger, they were not threatened or attacked. This was their best friend and it was a kiss.
    Yes, not all were welcomed, but would it not make more sense to say "no" or to gently push away rather than to full on slap?

We always teach women that it's never okay for a man to hit you.So why is it so accepted for women to slap and no one says a word?
    All of those women on TikTok that responded by hitting, should be ashamed of themselves. You have no right to hit!!
    What would people say had it been the other way around and the men were full on slapping the women? No doubt there would be assault charges!

If you're being attacked, yes, protect yourself and hit. But it's not okay to just hit whenever you feel like it.

Others opinions on this?

TikTok is mostly teens, and there are a host of everything from silly to dangerous internet challenges including eating detergent etc.

"The Role of Social Media
    Social media rewards outrageous behavior, and the more outrageous, the bigger the bragging rights. Itís a quick moving, impulsive environment, and the fear of losing out is real for teens. That environment plays into a teenís underdeveloped ability to think through their actions and possible consequences. Teens wonít necessarily stop to consider that laundry detergent is a poison that can burn their throats and damage their airways. What they will focus on is that a popular kid in class did this and got hundreds of likes and comments."

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It is wrong to hit unless of course you are defending your own life or someone elseís.

The Role of Social Media
    Social media rewards outrageous behavior, and the more outrageous, the bigger the bragging rights. Itís a quick moving, impulsive environment, and the fear of losing out is real for teens. That environment plays into a teenís underdeveloped ability to think through their actions and possible consequences. Teens wonít necessarily stop to consider that laundry detergent is a poison that can burn their throats and damage their airways. What they will focus on is that a popular kid in class did this and got hundreds of likes and comments."
    No doubt you're right, Wiseman, but what a sad commentary on our times.

It just angered me how these girls were slapping guy after guy and people were finding it funny instead of not realizing how messed up it was.

I'm not on TikTok, I seen the video on FB. But yeah, loads of comments on people finding it hilarious.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    However ,they would not find it hilarious if he hauled off and smacked her back.

However ,they would not find it hilarious if he hauled off and smacked her back
    Exactly.

It's so wrong how society accepts a woman slapping a man but not a man slapping a woman. If someone slapped my son, I'd be on the warpath!

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    Exactly.

It's so wrong how society accepts a woman slapping a man but not a man slapping a woman. If someone slapped my son, I'd be on the warpath!
    Me too. My brother was physically assaulted by his ex-wife. He never touched her back as heís more peaceloving than I am. But that is the day he left and never went back.

Unfortunate stuff, no doubt, on so many levels. Along with perpetuating the idea that it's okay for women to slap men, I find myself frustrated by what else the viral little experiment perpetuates: the idea that men and women can't truly be friendsóthat, odds are, there is a "secret crush" fueling the artifice of friendship, maybe requited, maybe not.

There have been some credible studies that suggest women may in fact be more likely to engage in violence within an intimate relationship than men are. Not at all to distract from how women are much more statistically affected in terms of significant harm and, more unfortunately, deaths within a domestic environment. But it indeed is a pervasive issue. Having been hit by a girlfriend before, it was and is an instant deal-breaker, even if just a slap.

Not sure how strongly I'd link it with social media shenanigans, but I do think it's just as advantageous to teach girls not to hit boys as it is the other way around. If not for the basic ethic of not laying your hands on people, then for the possibility that what many might see as a socially benign slap is responded to in kind, or worse.

Granted I haven't seen any of the TikToks. I do think-- whether or not the girls / women should-- a guy deserves a slap if he actually kisses them without their consent. But yeah, smacking someone for going in slow and leaving the possibility for a rejection isn't funny, especially if it's someone familiar and otherwise harmless to you. And I do think you're right that it probably speaks to something if so many girls / women are reflexively responding that way in the videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice