Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any nurses that have felt similar? Or any social workers with advice :)

Any nurses that have felt similar? Or any social workers with advice :)

Thinking about leaving my job in nursing to pursue social work

Hey! I知 a nurse on a busy surgical ward. I知 only nearly a year in about to complete my grad year. I love helping people and I love how social and fast paced my work is, I chose nursing because I知 very passionate about wanting to help people and be there for them in a time of need. I feel terrible saying this but I honestly just feel like a slave most of the time, and I知 starting to resent my job and not enjoy it. Most shifts it痴 so hard to even find time for a quick break and so many time痴 I won稚 get to eat my whole shift. I love helping people but I知 just not sure if ward work is for me.
    I知 thinking about going back to uni next year and doing something in social work, it really interests me and I think I would love being able to help people and be there for them and it might be physically better on me? Idk I知 not good with words but if there is anyone that has gone through a similar career change or is in the social work field and could let me know if they love it and why that would be awesome :) thank you

If you were to pursue a graduate nursing/nurse practitioner degree, you could get into psychiatry or another specialty. Social work is another direction rather than building on what you have. Why not research this better if you are getting burned out from bedside nursing.
    Originally Posted by Lucytan
    I知 starting to resent my job and not enjoy it. I知 thinking about going back to uni next year and doing something in social work.

Platinum Member
    LOL sounds like my life when I have to solo parent or right now during the quarrantine but I don't feel resentful or like a slave -but I get the nonstop cleaning with no break and having to address others' needs constantly. I love what I do though. Social work has its own kind of work like that so it depends what you would do with the degree.

Loving to help people means also being ok at least with the hands on work, grunt work, dirty work. It's a balance!

Originally Posted by Batya33
    LOL sounds like my life when I have to solo parent or right now during the quarrantine but I don't feel resentful or like a slave -but I get the nonstop cleaning with no break and having to address others' needs constantly. I love what I do though. Social work has its own kind of work like that so it depends what you would do with the degree.

Loving to help people means also being ok at least with the hands on work, grunt work, dirty work. It's a balance!
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I知 a solo parent as well lol. I feel bad using the word slave! I really do enjoy the dirty work, I love being there for people in their time of need but sometimes I feel so overworked that you can稚 actually work as well as you want because you have a million tasks to get done and end up feeling guilty for things you couldn稚 do etc. I would probably enjoy it more if the hospital I worked at had better nurse to patient ratios.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    If you were to pursue a graduate nursing/nurse practitioner degree, you could get into psychiatry or another specialty. Social work is another direction rather than building on what you have. Why not research this better if you are getting burned out from bedside nursing.
    Thank you! Yeah I am thinking of looking into mental health nursing as well. I did really enjoy my mental health placements when I was studying and it was a very different pace compared to the surgical ward I work on now. I enjoyed actually having time to spend with the patients and actually feel like I met their needs. Definitely going to continue doing my research so I can make the right choice for further study :)

We need more nurses like you!

Could you possibly find a hospital with a better nurse-to-patient ration, or are they all pretty much like the one you're at?

Platinum Member
    Apply to work for the VA. Your workload expectations are sliced in half - plenty of time for yourself, and you make six figures. As a social worker, expect more work, more red tape, and lots of disappointment, and little pay.
    Last edited by tattoobunnie; 05-05-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Platinum Member
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I知 a solo parent as well lol. I feel bad using the word slave! I really do enjoy the dirty work, I love being there for people in their time of need but sometimes I feel so overworked that you can稚 actually work as well as you want because you have a million tasks to get done and end up feeling guilty for things you couldn稚 do etc. I would probably enjoy it more if the hospital I worked at had better nurse to patient ratios.
    I solo parented a lot and still do but I am married - I'm not a single parent sorry for the confusion. I have been overworked many times in my life so I get it. I agree that a job change might help.

Thank you so much for all that you do.

Depending on where you are located, you can function as an independent practitioner with just a couple years for a grad degree in nursing. Social work is an entirely different field and would require an advanced degree to do anything anyway. You would be better off looking for master's degrees (often 2 years) rather than starting from scratch.

Also look into your employers education/tuition assistance programs. Many will help with further an education but not changing fields. You would make much more money and not work in med/surg nursing. You also need to review your jurisdiction's license requirements and your field's credentialing process.
    I am thinking of looking into mental health nursing as well. I did really enjoy my mental health placements when I was studying and it was a very different pace compared to the surgical ward I work on now.

Platinum Member
    Have you discussed the workload with peers or those in charge?

Have you had an appraisal at work?

You might want to seek feedback from others before you decide to quit.

In my work , there are people who can cope with a higher workload than others.
    Some lack organisational skills , others need more training , others simply aren稚 suited to the job.

Ask your employer what they think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice