LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Preoccupation with body image

Platinum Member
    If you are truly secure , no one can make you feel insecure.
    Is it possible you are magnifying others comments? Because you actually donít feel secure with your body?

I was surprised that you suggested sharing a pic of yourself?
    To me that screams insecurity and wanting external validation!?!

So while you are ďdefendingĒ yourself , itís not out of a sense of security but more about responding to not getting the external validation you desire?

Your talk of smaller pizzas etc suggests you are very insecure with your own body image.
    Thatís sad since it certainly sounds like you have no issues wrt body size and shape.

Be honest.
    Who is more concerned about your body? Your mum or you?

Originally Posted by Billie28
    If you are truly secure , no one can make you feel insecure.
    Is it possible you are magnifying others comments? Because you actually donít feel secure with your body?

I was surprised that you suggested sharing a pic of yourself?
    To me that screams insecurity and wanting external validation!?!

So while you are ďdefendingĒ yourself , itís not out of a sense of security but more about responding to not getting the external validation you desire?

Your talk of smaller pizzas etc suggests you are very insecure with your own body image.
    Thatís sad since it certainly sounds like you have no issues wrt body size and shape.

Be honest.
    Who is more concerned about your body? Your mum or you?
    Hi Billie, I wanted to share a picture not to get validation but more like some sort of feedback. I mentioned I am pretty okay with how I look but since my family was making all these remarks I was worried I had become delusional.
    I am not asking people for external validation, I don't need people telling me I am skinny, I know very well myself I am not super skinny.
    My question was more like how to be okay with myself if my family keeps telling me those things.

I've been called skinny all my life. Well, maybe not as much now. Lol. I lean more to average, but still slim.

For the most part I heard it as a compliment?, maybe even envy. . but at some point it just gets old. `You are sooo skinny' Well, not really. My bmi is normal and I've just managed to not have problems maintaining it. I just got lucky with the good side of the family gene pool.

I do remember someone I hadn't seen in a while made the comment in an almost, loud aggressive way. People turned heads. Mind you, she has always struggled with her weight so I assume that's where it came from. For the first time I didn't hear as a compliment. I felt annoyed. I don't comment on peoples weight skinny or not. It's personal and what would be the point? Can I comment loudly on her weight? I think not. Please don't draw attention to mine.

If you want to pay me a compliment, then tell me I look nice, or you like my shoes. Skinny isn't always heard as a positive, but honestly I think people might be trying to pay you a compliment in a backhanded sorta way.

Your relatives. . I just think of that old school mentality, `Let put some meat on those bones!' I can hear my extended family say and then they put some pot roast and pie in front of me.

I dunno. I think people are more comfortable if your weight is more average than slim. I can't explain it. For reasons I don't understand my weight has often been the topic of conversation. Why? I don't know. That along with a sarcastic `must be nice!' followed with an eye roll.

I get it's a weird thing to complain about. But it doesn't really get old.
    Last edited by reinventmyself; 05-12-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice