St John's Wort powder...tastes terrible

Hi,

The only St. John's Wort I could find is in gelatin capsules. I won't eat gelatin from pork, but I can open them easily. The original ones I had were pressed/solid inside the capsule, but now it is loose powder inside. The bottle suggests you can do this and make a tea. It does not appeal to me.

What can I do to get the dose to go down quickly? I downed the loose powder as quick as I could, but that is very unappealing. I considered putting it in melted butter and cooling it to solid form and taking that before it melts. Would that work, or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

To clarify, I really don't feel like making tea with this. Also, I take my tea plain. I can't get tea sweet enough without using way too much sugar, then I may as well drink soda or artificial juice. I'd like something as small as a pill that I can just bam take out all at once.

The butter thing sounds silly, so I was looking for other ideas.

Some medication is put inside capsules in order for it to work properly. That might not be the case with St John's Wort, but I do know it to be the case for many pharmaceutical meds. I too do not eat gelatine and the easy answer is simply to buy a different brand that advertises its capsules are gelatine-free, or buy vegetarian capsules and use them to transfer the powder into them. I've had St John's Wort in vegetarian format before; I've also used capsules to transfer other medication out of non-veggie capsules - both work fine.

Why are you taking it? It pretty nasty stuff.

"St. John’s wort isn’t consistently effective for depression. Do not use it to replace conventional care or to postpone seeing your health care provider.

What do we know about the safety of St. John’s wort for depression?

St. John’s wort limits the effectiveness of many prescription medicines.

Combining St. John’s wort and certain antidepressants can lead to a potentially life-threatening increase in your body’s levels of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells.

Don’t try to treat depression on your own. Depression can become severe if you don’t get effective, professional help. For some people, depression can increase the risk of suicide. Talk to your health care provider if you or someone you know may be depressed."

https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/st-johns-wort-and-depression-in-depth

Hi,

The only St. John's Wort I could find is in gelatin capsules. I won't eat gelatin from pork, but I can open them easily. The original ones I had were pressed/solid inside the capsule, but now it is loose powder inside. The bottle suggests you can do this and make a tea. It does not appeal to me.

What can I do to get the dose to go down quickly? I downed the loose powder as quick as I could, but that is very unappealing. I considered putting it in melted butter and cooling it to solid form and taking that before it melts. Would that work, or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

Trying putting it on a spoonful of yogurt? I've had success with this method.

Archived