"Stay With Me" by Sam Smith...what is he feeling?

Ladyphase

Hi,

I googled for songs called Stay With Me. Now I remember hearing this before. I'm confused about these lyrics. Is the character starting an emotionally unhealthy relationship? Or is he just confused? Or what? I feel like I don't have quite enough information.

Lyrics:

Guess it's true

I'm not good at a one night stand

But I still need love 'cause I'm just a man

These nights never seem to go to plan

I don't want you to leave

Will you hold my hand

Oh, won't you stay with me?

'Cause you're all I need

This ain't love, it's clear to see

But darling, stay with me

Why am I so emotional?

No, it's not a good look, gain some self control

Deep down I know this never works

But you could lay with me

So it doesn't hurt

'Cause you're all I need

Oooh oh ooh oooh ooooh oh

Oooh oh ooh oooh ooooh oh

'Cause you're all I need

Oh, wont you stay with me

'Cause you're all I need

This ain't love its clear to see

But darling

Stay with me

You know, I actually used to be obsessed with Sam Smith about five years ago. I even thought I was " in love" with him and thought what a pity it was that he's/they're gay. Because otherwise I would have totally had a chance with him 😂 I used to play his music on repeat all the time. I was lucky I was able to get a ticket to his live concert that someone was re-selling. Otherwise the show was completely sold out.

Anyway, so I'm pretty sure this song is about a one night stand?

Basically I think he's saying he had a one night stand, but he's really lonely and wants company. So he's singing: " This ain't love, it's clear to see, but won't you stay with me". I think he's saying "just act like we're into each other and it wasn't just meaningless sex".

Basically I think he's saying he had a one night stand, but he's really lonely and wants company. So he's singing: " This ain't love, it's clear to see, but won't you stay with me". I think he's saying "just act like we're into each other and it wasn't just meaningless sex".

I agree. Sounds like he's treating this encounter like a tylenol.

I think he is feeling lonely. He just wants company. He feels hes is not good at one night stands and that he messes up that sort of thing, but he wants the intimacy with someone. Almost wishing he had someone to stay with him to be close to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Lol, Lo...that gave me a giggle. I hope you're doing well and that your little one is doing well. x

My interpretation of this song is that he is desperate for love and for intimacy with someone that loves him, but he doesn't have that. All he has is a stranger who is willing to have a one night stand with him and a meaningless encounter. But he is pretending that it means something, anything...because of how desperately lonely he is.

It's a pretty sad song to be honest.

Archived