Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice from anxiety sufferers...

Advice from anxiety sufferers...

Hi, all-

This has been a particularly trying time for me with anxiety with the current health crisis in the country. I am very much into herbal remedies but I have had a prescription for .25mg Xanax for the last 10 years that I have used quite intermittently unless I was having an acute situation and trouble sleeping. I only take it at night. Never during the day no matter how anxious I am.

I have found myself taking half of a .25 mg almost every night for the last few months, mainly to go back to sleep after I wake up. The last few nights, I have taken it to get to sleep because I have been so overtired that I have been wired. Last night, for the first times in 10 years, I took .5mg and I know thatís a low dose but I always swore that I would not up my dose and If I did, I would take measures to get back to lowering the dose or not taking it and finding alternative remedies.

That is my story. I would love any advice. I feel like if Iím laying there in bed for a long time, I have two options and I have to make a decision to choose the lesser of two evils which is 1) take meds which I would prefer not to take or 2) possibly lay there for hours and hours and feel badly the next day which I would never choose. So, it feels like taking the meds are the path of least resistance. But I donít want to take meds every day.

Thanks for any advice!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My dr just added another medication for me to sleep on top of my daily clonazepam. It doesnít serve the body to be anxious and sleep deprived.

Platinum Member
    Sleep deprivation and anxiety only weakens you immune system more. If talk therapy, yoga, physical exercise, hermal remedies may not help, take what is prescribed by your doctor. I'm in New York, and like you, we are all just trying to get by. Very stressful for all.

you've pm'd me in the past about this .
    You have an anxiety disorder that isn't going to go away. At some point you embrace it and take the help that is offered in order to feel comfortable. There is no shame in that

I hear all sorts of stories about xanax being addictive. I've had a prescription for it for years and I've never had any issues taking it for periods of time (primarily for sleep) and then not using it. It's never had any adverse effects for me either. But this is my experience.

What I hear in what you are saying, it is the resistance to the 'idea' of taking anything at all. (the lesser of two evils) The only person judging you - is you.
    It's not a form of weakness or a negative that you need to take something to feel comfortable or to sleep.

If you had a headache would you take Tylenol?
    If you were diabetic you might have take insulin.

People with anxiety disorders often times have to rely on something during stressful times. My anxiety is high during this time. So I understand what you are experiencing.

Be kind to yourself and try to change the way you view it. That's the only thing standing in your way.

Have you tried yoga and meditation?
    i have had good results acute case of anxiety here not on medicines.
    You need to be a regular with a routine until it becomes a lifestyle, just telling you what is working for me. Initially it was tough but slowly you get hooked on to it, there are setbacks you lose patience , focus , but start slowly then build on to what suits you.

People can definitely abuse Xanax to get high...but itís done with *intent* to misuse it.

You are wary of potential problems and you are extremely disciplined about taking this medication as prescribed.

Iím not a doctor and I donít know you, but I hope you have no hesitation or guilt or any other issues about availing yourself of any and all tools, including Xanax, that help you feel comfortable in your own skin.

Best wishes!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I have taken benzos for 8 years. I have gone off before and only had withdrawals for about a week. I have a panic and anxiety disorder. I am much better ON it. During an extremely stressful situation is not time to go off medication.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    I have taken benzos for 8 years. I have gone off before and only had withdrawals for about a week. I have a panic and anxiety disorder. I am much better ON it. During an extremely stressful situation is not time to go off medication.
    just curious S, how often do you take them?

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    just curious S, how often do you take them?
    Daily.
    .. ..

Ok so you know how it works for you and so that is a huge part of taking it. Many people are having huge upticks in psychological distress, due to corona and all the ramifications from it. Better than big increases in drinking, street drugs, etc.

But hey, whatever it takes to get to the other side of this.
    Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    I have had a prescription for .25mg Xanax for the last 10 years
    Just don't resort to this:

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice