Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice from anxiety sufferers...

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I will say according to the doctors Iíve had most people tolerate SSRIs well. My husband in particular Zoloft has been very successful, Prozac and Paxil not so much. I took 25 mg of Zoloft and had a severe reaction from the very first hour. According to my doctors my liver just cannot process it and it becomes a toxic situation almost immediately.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    This new med the dr put me on for insomnia is also a new med for depression and anxiety. I seem to tolerate this better than SSRIís. If you want to go off it you do have to wean or you will get withdrawal symptoms just like you would for an SSRI.

ANY brain altering med requires you wean if you want to go off.

I have weaned successfully . I am on a very very small dose, .25 mg. So a quarter of a mg. I canít take SSRIís . I have tried that. I got serotonin syndrome and saw walking furniture, I was severely agitated couldnít stop walking morning noon and night ,didnít sleep for 20 days lost 30 pounds because I couldnít eat or drink. I almost died . Now this is not a common reaction but I cannot take SSRIs. Period.
    Yes, in your case, I could see them allowing you to have a benzo no matter what. But in most cases, the doctors have become very strict on not giving out more than a handful.

If someone has found a doctor who will give them more, rest assured that it's rare. But a good reason not to get used to them.

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    Yes, in your case, I could see them allowing you to have a benzo no matter what. But in most cases, the doctors have become very strict on not giving out more than a handful.

If someone has found a doctor who will give them more, rest assured that it's rare. But a good reason not to get used to them.
    True. I have not increased my dose in 8 years. My dr wants to discuss my weaning and onto maybe Effexor when this pandemic is over.

Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    I feel like if Iím laying there in bed for a long time, I have two options and I have to make a decision to choose the lesser of two evils which is 1) take meds which I would prefer not to take or 2) possibly lay there for hours and hours and feel badly the next day which I would never choose. So, it feels like taking the meds are the path of least resistance. But I donít want to take meds every day.
    I think that, if you're concerned about increasing your meds or taking them every day, you should examine why you think that option 2 is the lesser of two evils.

Of the two options you listed, it is the only one that increases your meds and the only one that can bring you to the point where you are on meds every day.

I understand the anxious what-if fears, like "if I don't get sleep, I won't be able to function tomorrow." But that's what anxiety is: Fear of what if. It's not fear of what actually is.

When you stop at what if, you never get to see what actually is. Those two things are not the same.

I suggest you challenge the veracity of your fears because, in this case, your anxiety is about to make you do something stupid. Think about it: you don't want to up your dosage, so you'd better up your dosage? Makes no sense.

If you're worried about dependency and addiction, this is your only route:

Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    2) possibly lay there for hours and hours and feel badly the next day
    Your body will fall asleep. You may have a couple of sleepless nights, you may toss and turn and worry about how you will function tomorrow, but your body can't overrule exhaustion. It will sleep no matter what you worries are. And you probably won't feel as bad as you fear you will the next day.

Every university hospital and government site can outline the side effects of whatever medication you type in. Just a click away.

Obviously anything that is a scheduled substance has the risk of physical dependence, withdrawal as well as serious side effects and paradoxical effects.

All prescriptions come with tons of paperwork outlining all this. And...the pharmacist is qualified to discuss any of this. just a phone call away.

People do not want to know all this however because most scheduled substances have euphoric side effects.

Bronze Member
    Yoga can change the DNA structure and modulate stress response if practiced regularly. Knitting also has many mental health benefits too.

Originally Posted by Leah33
    Yoga can change the DNA structure and modulate stress response if practiced regularly. Knitting also has many mental health benefits too.
    Is there science it changes oneís DNA?

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Is there science it changes oneís DNA?
    There have been scientific studies.
    [Register to see the link]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce