Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice from anxiety sufferers...

anxiety? eat bananas. Raising your potassium levels helps. And stop watching the news. If you can go out for a quick run daily.

What anxiety meds are safe to take during the day and that are safe to drive and go to work? My doctor had put me on Ativan previously, but I couldn't drive or go to work while on it. Which means it was useless because my anxiety was and is currently related to going to work.

My doctor had also previously put me on an antidepressant for pain management. I wonder, are those effective to manage both depression and anxiety?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Clonazepam doesnít affect my ability to drive or work whatsoever but I take a tiny maintenance dose. My husband takes 100 mg of Zoloft for anxiety no driving or work issues at all. Mind you it takes a little bit to get used to these medications.

The one that the doctor just gave me for sleep just sent my brain for a loop but Iím not anxious about anything. It will take getting used to.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Clonazepam doesnít affect my ability to drive or work whatsoever but I take a tiny maintenance dose. My husband takes 100 mg of Zoloft for anxiety no driving or work issues at all. Mind you it takes a little bit to get used to these medications.

The one that the doctor just gave me for sleep just sent my brain for a loop but Iím not anxious about anything. It will take getting used to.
    Hm, it might be worth asking my doctor for a small dose. I am an anxious person but have usually been able to power through. I don't worry about "what if's" normally. But with this pandemic I worry, not so much about myself since I feel if I die I have lived long enough and my adult kids are set and will be fine, but I worry about my elderly cat. I couldn't expect anyone to be willing to come into an infected house to retrieve her if I got sick and I couldn't let her stay here incase I infected her. It's a long shot but it's really the only thing worrying me.

I think it's worth asking my doctor anyway, though. Thanks for the recommendations. And sorry for hijacking your thread, Nebraska!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Just be aware it is addictive.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Just be aware it is addictive.
    Oh...then I won't do it.

Several years ago my doctor prescribed Tramadol for pain. I became addicted because although I was told it isn't an opiod I wasn't told it was addictive. I became addicted in less than a week and had to go through terrible withdrawals when my doctor refused to renew my prescription. I didn't even take the pain medication my oral surgeon prescribed when I had two teeth extracted last week. And when I had major abdominal surgery I had them take the spinal out the day after the surgery and also the little hand button because I so fear becoming addicted.

Thanks for the warning.

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Oh...then I won't do it.

Several years ago my doctor prescribed Tramadol for pain. I became addicted because although I was told it isn't an opiod I wasn't told it was addictive. I became addicted in less than a week and had to go through terrible withdrawals when my doctor refused to renew my prescription. I didn't even take the pain medication my oral surgeon prescribed when I had two teeth extracted last week. And when I had major abdominal surgery I had them take the spinal out the day after the surgery and also the little hand button because I so fear becoming addicted.

Thanks for the warning.
    Any benzo is addictive beyond a few weeks.

You need to go and talk to your doctor as soon as you can.

Benzos are getting harder and harder to come by and it sounds like you are creating a scenario where you are slightly addicted.
    That's dangerous.
    Because although it may help you temporarily get to sleep now, you're getting your body too used to it and in the end, (like you're seeing now), you will need more and more before it does anything.
    Plus if your doctor won't give you anymore...then you really will have serious problems on your hands with withdrawls.

You need to first wean back down until you are taking barely any then talk to your doctor about long term medication for anxiety. Benzos are not meant for long term.

I could give you all sorts of suggestions, but it does sound like you need long term medication like an antidepressant. It's trial and error but once you've found one that works, it can make a huge world of difference.

I am concerned for any of you that are taking benzos daily or have been for years. I hope and pray for you that your doctor doesn't suddenly become sick or can no longer practice. Because I can assure you that getting another doctor to prescribe benzos like this, will be extremely hard to come by.

It won't matter if you tell them your last doctor gave you a prescription for years. The most they will do is wean you off and put you on an SSRI or antipsychotic.

I'm just giving fair warning. It's not safe to rely on benzos in this day an age.

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    I am concerned for any of you that are taking benzos daily or have been for years. I hope and pray for you that your doctor doesn't suddenly become sick or can no longer practice. Because I can assure you that getting another doctor to prescribe benzos like this, will be extremely hard to come by.

It won't matter if you tell them your last doctor gave you a prescription for years. The most they will do is wean you off and put you on an SSRI or antipsychotic.

I'm just giving fair warning. It's not safe to rely on benzos in this day an age.
    I have weaned successfully . I am on a very very small dose, .25 mg. So a quarter of a mg. I canít take SSRIís . I have tried that. I got serotonin syndrome and saw walking furniture, I was severely agitated couldnít stop walking morning noon and night ,didnít sleep for 20 days lost 30 pounds because I couldnít eat or drink. I almost died . Now this is not a common reaction but I cannot take SSRIs. Period.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice