Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice from anxiety sufferers...

Thank you all so much!!! Seraphim, thank you for sharing your story and Reinventmyself, I just saw our last exchange and that was when I was having a bad time last time and I really appreciate (d) your advice!!

I really want to start a yoga routine again but I do Qigong (like Tai Chi) and I do try to meditate but I donít do it well. I do Yoga Nidra most nights which is nice. Itís great to know that others are in the same boat even though I wish none of us had this anxiety around the current events.

Thank you all for making me feel better about the meds.

Have you tried a long-term anxiety reducer like Zoloft?

In some ways, I'm an anxious person and a worry wart. I cope with my anxiety and stress by serious dieting, exercise and lifestyle changes. I feel so much better nowadays and overall.

In the past, before my 14 year old calm, extremely well behaved, quiet Golden Retriever passed away, she was a great stress reliever for me. Because of her, I forced myself to take two walks per day; once in the early morning hours before work and after work hours plus my other weekly workout exercises. Other times, we'd play together with her tennis ball at local parks, near the golf course in my neighborhood, green belts in the subdivision and the like. She had a great calming effect on me and my household.

If you're not sure about acquiring a pet, I suggest either fostering a dog (or cat) or volunteer as a dog walker for your neighbors.

Try alternate natural methods for your anxiety. I hope it works for you.

The best advice is from your doctor and if he or she recommends prescription drugs for you.

Personally for me whether it's my being depressed over something in the family (relatives / in-laws, for example), fixing life and life's situations works for me as opposed to reaching for drugs because yes while drugs are helpful, for me I prefer to fix my life in order to feel truly happy, whole and complete. Fixing my life gives me control which is empowering.

At any rate, I hope you feel better, Nebraskagirl14. Btw, one of my friends is from Wichita, Kansas! Close enough in the Midwest!

Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Have you tried a long-term anxiety reducer like Zoloft?
    I havenít because I really donít want to be on an SSRI.

Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    In some ways, I'm an anxious person and a worry wart. I cope with my anxiety and stress by serious dieting, exercise and lifestyle changes. I feel so much better nowadays and overall.

In the past, before my 14 year old calm, extremely well behaved, quiet Golden Retriever passed away, she was a great stress reliever for me. Because of her, I forced myself to take two walks per day; once in the early morning hours before work and after work hours plus my other weekly workout exercises. Other times, we'd play together with her tennis ball at local parks, near the golf course in my neighborhood, green belts in the subdivision and the like. She had a great calming effect on me and my household.

If you're not sure about acquiring a pet, I suggest either fostering a dog (or cat) or volunteer as a dog walker for your neighbors.

Try alternate natural methods for your anxiety. I hope it works for you.

The best advice is from your doctor and if he or she recommends prescription drugs for you.

Personally for me whether it's my being depressed over something in the family (relatives / in-laws, for example), fixing life and life's situations works for me as opposed to reaching for drugs because yes while drugs are helpful, for me I prefer to fix my life in order to feel truly happy, whole and complete. Fixing my life gives me control which is empowering.

At any rate, I hope you feel better, Nebraskagirl14. Btw, one of my friends is from Wichita, Kansas! Close enough in the Midwest!
    Thank you, Cherylyn!

I actually have three amazing dogs. I lost two in the last 6 months which was horrible. And yes, I adore them.

And I agree about changing oneís lifestyle, thank you :-)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    I havenít because I really donít want to be on an SSRI.
    My husband has been on SSRIís for 22 years and Zoloft for 12 of them . He does excellent on it. It pretty much saved his life. He will be on it forever.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    My husband has been on SSRIís for 22 years and Zoloft for 12 of them . He does excellent on it. It pretty much saved his life. He will be on it forever.
    That is great to know, thank you! My best friend will also be on an SSRI forever and does amazingly on hers too.

Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    Thank you, Cherylyn!

I actually have three amazing dogs. I lost two in the last 6 months which was horrible. And yes, I adore them.

And I agree about changing oneís lifestyle, thank you :-)
    You're very welcome, Nebraskagirl14!

It's great that you have 3 dogs! They're "woman's best friends!" I'm terribly sorry for your loss. It is horrible indeed. I agree, dogs are adorable.

Yes, lifestyle changes help immensely. Thank you for your kind words.

I've been on SSRI over half of my life and it works well for me. I work a stressful job in healthcare as a healthcare professional in a supervisor position with a lot of responsibilities and, at times, life/death situations. I do well in this job and I even work on my Masters part time. I don't think I could do any of this without the help of my medications. I have diagnosed severe depression/anxiety from a young age.

Look, I'll be blunt - I do believe in non-pharm approaches to a point but for some, possibly you, it doesn't help anymore. You're taking Xanax nightly now to sleep to deal with your anxiety and you feel a lot worse. Herbal and alternative methods are nice but if they ain't working, they ain't working. I understand the desire to be off all meds but you need to be honest with yourself going forward. Are you willing to stay miserable/anxious if it means not taking a certain med and nothing else you try seems to do the trick? Why torture yourself?

I hope you can see a good doctor who can alleviate some of your fears and find something, even if it's just temporary, that works for you.

Because of COVID, I've had to go up on one of my meds. I am still doing school (online now) and working full time during the pandemic, thanks to that.

Platinum Member
    This is not meant at all to replace meds but check out the Weil method of 4-7-8 breathing. I do not have an anxiety disorder but have insomnia/sleeping issues on an off for many years now. Including now. I practice this type of breathing when I can't sleep and also when I feel anxious. It's wonderful.

I wish you all the best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Videos

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men
Give Advice
Ask For Advice