Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

First DVD you owned?

Seraphim

Death in Gaza was the first DVD I personally bought back in 2004. Though I'm happy to report my collection has since grown a lot less morose in content.

However at this point, while my wife gets her shoe collection, I'm borderline addicted to steelbooks.

My friend had LaserDisc in the early 90s. I guess circa 1990 - 1991.

I thought it was so cool, that it would be the wave of the future. I wanted to have an all LaserDisc video library.

I never watched a LaserDisc, though, and then LaserDisc pretty much disappeared.....

Yes, they became obsolete fast once they started selling DVDs! Same thing but they were much bigger, harder to find disks, and expensive.

We couldn't afford things like that so it was memorable. It was sold to us for cheap during a year when people's homes were being flooded, and they wanted to buy the next new thing anyways. Probably a DVD player lol.

Yes, it was around the same time as CDs, and in my 13-year old's mind it made sense to me that CDs would be small and LaserDiscs would be large. Then DVDs came out and screwed up my whole balance lol. I was kinda annoyed by DVDs for a while.... now I feel some hostility towards BlueRays. I guess I'm just a Luddite at heart :D

remember thinking of getting an LD it was like the coolest biggest thing around in stores...looking at the price always thought CDs were lot cheaper.

Now i hardly care about writing something on discs, everything going online has really closed those shops, its all in history now.

• 2 weeks later...

My first DVD was the Trois couleurs box set. I was a strange kid.

At the time we had this regular weekend movie night with a bunch of friends.

It was my turn to choose a movie, and for once I didn't have to select a film from one of my friends' collections (or their parent's) – I had my own DVD.

They thought I was bringing Blow (2001), little did they know we were going to watch Kieslowski's Blue (1993).

I still vividly remember one of my friends screaming "what the f*** did I just watch?," over Preisner's dramatic score, as the end credits were rolling. Fun times :)

Kieslowski was a genius. However, I no longer would recommend Blue as a "fun" weekend movie for a group of 15 year old kids. Oh boy...

Archived