LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Teaching credential programs

Bronze Member
    Batya, I even spoke with an elementary school teacher . She said her job was stressful . She had to deal with other elementary school teachers who were mean and condescending, parents and unsupportive administrators. So it made think of what you were trying to tell me . Thanks for trying to give me tips to the best you can .

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Chocolate25
    Batya, I even spoke with an elementary school teacher . She said her job was stressful . She had to deal with other elementary school teachers who were mean and condescending, parents and unsupportive administrators. So it made think of what you were trying to tell me . Thanks for trying to give me tips to the best you can .
    My sister-in-law is a 2nd grade teacher. She likes her students but she says parents are more challenging. Then thereís of course and less preparation ,endless marking etc.

Platinum Member
    Of course it's a stressful job. Most professions involve a level of stress but if it's outweighed by the positives it's all good.

My job is stressful but it has so many rewarding aspects to it.

You aren't going to find a job where you're in a constant state of bliss. There will always be some bad days. But if ultimately you find reward in what you're doing, going to work will be a good challenge instead of a source of dread.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    My job is stressful but it has so many rewarding aspects to it.

You aren't going to find a job where you're in a constant state of bliss. There will always be some bad days. But if ultimately you find reward in what you're doing, going to work will be a good challenge instead of a source of dread.
    What kind of job do you do ?

What kind of job do you do ?
    I don't want to get too specific, but I am a production manager for a large retail warehouse. It has nothing to do with education lol. But I did attend 3 years of college (university) to be a special education teacher. After student teaching a couple of classes I realized it was not for me. I love kids and love playing with them but that's not the same as teaching in a structured environment. So I'd rather play with my niece and nephews and my cousins' kids to get my "fun with kids" fix.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    I don't want to get too specific, but I am a production manager for a large retail warehouse. It has nothing to do with education lol. But I did attend 3 years of college (university) to be a special education teacher. After student teaching a couple of classes I realized it was not for me. I love kids and love playing with them but that's not the same as teaching in a structured environment. So I'd rather play with my niece and nephews and my cousins' kids to get my "fun with kids" fix.
    Thatís okay . Atleast you tried . I applaud you for it . Iím simply in the exploration phase . You are correct about every job will have its good days and bad ones too . Sometimes my days are okay , good or bad . Atleast you get to babysit your nieces and nephews . I appreciate you , batya and others for trying to tell me the realities of teaching .

Platinum Member
    Thatís okay . Atleast you tried . I applaud you for it . Iím simply in the exploration phase . You are correct about every job will have its good days and bad ones too . Sometimes my days are okay , good or bad . Atleast you get to babysit your nieces and nephews . I appreciate you , batya and others for trying to tell me the realities of teaching .
    I'm glad I could help some! Also consider whether you're interested in the academics because often you have to get a grad degree eventually to make more $ as a teacher.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    I could never be a teacher of young kids - not because of the kids, but because of the parents. The parents think their little angel walks on water and is actually a terror and who falsely think their child is extremely gifted and smarter than any other kid in the world, or the parents that push their kids too much. But that's just me. When i was in the performing arts, i hated plays that had kids in them - stage parents were the worst. Not as bad when its a 3rd grade ballet recital but really bad with an 'adult" play or musical with 1-4 kids in it.
    Parents do get crazy over their kids and there's no telling them that they're being irrational. It puts teachers in a tough place, for sure.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Also consider whether you're interested in the academics because often you have to get a grad degree eventually to make more $ as a teacher.
    Also check into the collective bargaining situation in your area. When I looked into that teaching job years ago, I went over the pay structure with the local union rep. You could actually get paid for having a Master's degree without completing a Master's degree program--any Master's degree, too, not just in education. You just had to have a certain number of credits completed in the program.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Parents do get crazy over their kids and there's no telling them that they're being irrational. It puts teachers in a tough place, for sure.

Also check into the collective bargaining situation in your area. When I looked into that teaching job years ago, I went over the pay structure with the local union rep. You could actually get paid for having a Master's degree without completing a Master's degree program--any Master's degree, too, not just in education. You just had to have a certain number of credits completed in the program.
    Yes, some parents do just like some people get like that about their pets or even about spouses/partners who it's clear are not "angels". I've had to be in nearly dangerous situations or -more inconvenient -eat outside in uncomfortable weather because the pet's needs -to be off leash, to not be alone in a home for a few hours at lunch time - was more important. It's ok -I get it -but it's absolutely not just parents. I just think parents get targeted more because more often they need other people to interact with their kids in a highly personal way like at school or activities etc.

My default is "it's my kid's fault" so when I stick up for him in a teacher situation it's rare but I'll do it and be Mama Bear if needed. I did that when he was 9 months old, whining/crying in line at Trader Joes - because -guess what, infants cry - and the crying/fussing lasted longer because the cashier was incompetent and I needed a manager. She said "well I had to put up with your crying kid!" whereupon I was given a bouquet of flowers by the manager (because I then burst into sleep deprived tears) and -hmmmmm - the next time I went she was working in the back, time after that - nowhere to be seen. I guess there was no telling her she was irrational to vent about a crying baby who was no angel of course -but doing what babies do and I was doing what parents do -getting shopping done even though I had to bring my baby along.

I did that when he was 10 years old to defend his choices to a teacher who didn't follow through on her promise to get him the needed paperwork for him to apply to be a crossing guard instead labeling him as "not interested" in being a crossing guard. I did not let that slide and let her know that plus that perhaps letting another crossing guard make offensive comments to my son wasn't exactly consistent with her stated goals for the program.

I was treated very poorly as a teacher by certain parents, by certain administration types, etc and treated wonderfully by others. It depends so much on the school, the school system, etc.
    Last edited by Batya33; 04-23-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice