Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching credential programs

How far off is your GPA? Why not take some classes without declaring the major to raise your average? THEN apply.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    How far off is your GPA? Why not take some classes without declaring the major to raise your average? THEN apply.
    That's what I suggested too!

Can you live with your parents until you decide what to do career-wise?
    Originally Posted by Chocolate25
    Yes my family is very much suggesting that arranged marriage route. Like I would have to date or marry someone that's South Indian only. I live in CA, USA.

Bronze Member
    Yes . Iíd like to to do that .

Bronze Member
    My undergrad gpa was 0.58 off of the gpa requirements. Iím looking into taking early childhood courses and retaking classes I didnít do well in .

My undergrad gpa was 0.58 off of the gpa requirements. Iím looking into taking early childhood courses and retaking classes I didnít do well in .
    Unless the requirement is that you MUST retake a class, don't waste your money there. Passing is passing. Unless you've failed a required class, then don't retake it.

Review the required courses for EC, and sign up for one or two that don't require a prerequisite or enrollment in the EC program. Ace those, and once your GPA is up to the required level, enroll in the EC program with those courses already under your belt.

People get hung up on 'traditional order'. It's usually a guideline rather than in stone, and there are plenty of ways to reach a goal. So make an appointment with a school dean, confirm that you plans are allowed, and ask for any other suggestions on a non-traditional route to navigate the program.

You can look into ESL teaching jobs from home too . Itís less politics and more freedom . If you donít live in California , look into VIPKID teaching company . Iím sorry about what you faced .
    Who are you talking to? Iím assuming itís me, but Iím confused on how you are asking for advice on this field and are giving something?? I also didnít ask for any pity and am giving you a real perspective of what teaching is like for many. Something I wished someone had told me way before I decided on a teaching degree.

So VIPKID distance tutoring. I know people who are teaching through it. Itís legit, but itís nothing more than a side hustle, not a lucrative career. You arenít given benefits, retirement, etc though that company. Also how will this be experience for early childhood? For primary school grades, sure.

You need classroom management experience which is why I strongly suggest subbing to give you a feel for the teaching field. Every education interview will have questions based on how you manage your classroom, which is a make or break into getting a job offer - and that experience cannot be gained from distance teaching.

I mean, is money an object to you? A 0.58 GPA deficit in the grand scheme of a 4-year program isn't exactly a matter of simply retaking the Stats class you got a C- in. And while you're female and have more options, grants and scholarships are generally much harder to come by once you've finished your initial four years, particularly if you're just taking more undergraduate level courses.

I'd really take a step back and evaluate what options you have which are actual practical. If even just the idea of retaking your classes to bump your GPA took someone here suggesting it to you for you to consider, I really do question your veracity in attaining this goal. It's fine to not feel fulfillment in your career and want to change things up, but I really do think you're not taking completely seriously that education-- especially early childhood and / or special education-- is a field people devote years of school and training into. You'll also be doing student teaching and performing as an assistant teacher all while I'm assuming you'll be working your main job. 9.99 times out of 10, it really isn't a field someone simply transitions into once they're bored with their career in medical billing.

Not that I have a vested interest in pissing on your dreams, and don't let me stop you from sitting down with an academic or occupational adviser, but I'd see if there aren't other ways to get your fix for your passion. You'll still need some accreditation and trainings, but volunteering might be a good option for you. Maybe look into classes that are fewer but which might help you be equipped to provide home schooling or supplemental education for any of your own future children. There are many ways to provide mentorship for the children of your community that don't require you make a career of it.

I donít meet the gpa requirements for teaching credential programs in California . Iíve been working for 5 years in medical records . Iíve been looking into early childhood special education credential, multiple subject credentials . How do I go about this route ? I very much would like to work with children .
    Have you looked into alternate path programs in California?

When I was first considering my career change, the principal of one of my state's magnet schools tried to lure me in to her school to become a teacher.

I didn't have a degree in education and didn't need to obtain one. I didn't have any teaching background whatsoever. In fact, I'd been working 6 years as an account manager.

The principal was even willing to let me take my certification classes concurrently with teaching.

Bronze Member
    I graduated with 2.1 gpa not 0.58

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Videos

What Is Good To Know About The First Date

Online Dating Websites Most Frequently Used By Older Adults

Blogging Helps New Moms Handle Parental Stress

What Do Men And Women Want In A Relationship?

Benefits Of Online Education

Talking To Children Is Better Than Reading To Them
Give Advice
Ask For Advice