Teaching credential programs

I don’t meet the gpa requirements for teaching credential programs in California . I’ve been working for 5 years in medical records . I’ve been looking into early childhood special education credential, multiple subject credentials . How do I go about this route ? I very much would like to work with children .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was an educator for several years. I should warn you about walking into this field that I wish I was given:

I had a dual certification, and one of them was in Special Education with a Master's degree. After grad school, I jumped ship into the mental health field because I was given a better offer. I find working for a mental health agency/advocacy program much more rewarding, better pay and benefits, less job politics, and less people to deal with (mind you, I taught a class with 150 students). I absolutely love my clients and the families I have served. The difference I make for them is 10x rewarding than I was doing as a teacher on the front lines. I do not miss lesson planning or grading working every weekend.

Teaching is one of the most underrated and unappreciated job fields. It is challenging work of which not everyone is cut out for. It takes a special calling to stay in the field, which is why teachers are the real superheroes. Statistics have shown that 50% of teachers burn out of the field within the first 5 years of teaching and it is not a secured job field. Some states offer tenure that require you to work on temporary contracts that last for one school year, and then you are at the disposal of a district whether to axe you or keep you. I will be honest that I have not been recommended to continue my contract from four different school systems for multiple reasons: from economical staff cutting to not playing the job political game right.

So if you are looking for a secured job or a "better paying" position, teaching is not it. The pensions are even crap now (my undergraduate program straight up lied to me about that). The only thing I made was a difference and good medical benefits. The kids made me love teaching (though I had some difficult students and parents too). Everyday was a new day with them. But that's it... the job politics, unsupportive admins, and the amount of work I had to put in even though I was off the clock was not worth the cost of my mental health.

Also with a pandemic going on, I would rethink this career path. Schools have shut down until further notice and everyone is working from home with distance learning. Unless this lifts quickly, I don't see school systems hiring new teachers anytime soon.

If you still feel strongly about teaching, wait for the pandemic to be over. Then apply to be a substitute teacher. Some districts will take people with only associates degrees while others require those with bachelor degrees (you have to ask their HR department). Don't volunteer because that's giving you a superficial viewpoint when you have kids who are HAPPY to be at those sporting events, plays, school dances, etc. Substitute teaching... even an Instructional Assistant for a special education classroom will give you the raw experience to see what it takes to be a teacher and how it is to live as one.

I was a licensed teacher for a couple of years many years ago. (elementary) I loved teaching and working with children. I still do and continued volunteering with children for many years. I could not have lived in that salary and in my case in the big city public school system I worked in I felt very underappreciated and mistreated by the administration. I worked many many hours after class prepping,etc and often bought my own supplies. I do miss the teaching. Not the rest.

I would follow Snny's suggestion about substitute teaching. That way, you can see if you even really like the classroom environment. If you have a bachelor's degree, you can sub. I also recommend you take additional classes to raise your GPA if you still desire a teaching certificate. Also, if you are in medical billing, what about other positions in the medical field?

Most of the medical field doesn’t fascinate me. I haven’t done a whole lot of medical billing work . I’m more of a billers assistant . I’ve done limited work of it . So I didn’t get to do the full scope of medical billing job . In a nutshell , my job is one or two steps of medical billing and half of medical office assisting . It’s more of busy work .

My undergrad gpa was 0.58 off of the gpa requirements. I’m looking into taking early childhood courses and retaking classes I didn’t do well in .

Unless the requirement is that you MUST retake a class, don't waste your money there. Passing is passing. Unless you've failed a required class, then don't retake it.

Review the required courses for EC, and sign up for one or two that don't require a prerequisite or enrollment in the EC program. Ace those, and once your GPA is up to the required level, enroll in the EC program with those courses already under your belt.

People get hung up on 'traditional order'. It's usually a guideline rather than in stone, and there are plenty of ways to reach a goal. So make an appointment with a school dean, confirm that you plans are allowed, and ask for any other suggestions on a non-traditional route to navigate the program.

You can look into ESL teaching jobs from home too . It’s less politics and more freedom . If you don’t live in California , look into VIPKID teaching company . I’m sorry about what you faced .

Who are you talking to? I’m assuming it’s me, but I’m confused on how you are asking for advice on this field and are giving something?? I also didn’t ask for any pity and am giving you a real perspective of what teaching is like for many. Something I wished someone had told me way before I decided on a teaching degree.

So VIPKID distance tutoring. I know people who are teaching through it. It’s legit, but it’s nothing more than a side hustle, not a lucrative career. You aren’t given benefits, retirement, etc though that company. Also how will this be experience for early childhood? For primary school grades, sure.

You need classroom management experience which is why I strongly suggest subbing to give you a feel for the teaching field. Every education interview will have questions based on how you manage your classroom, which is a make or break into getting a job offer - and that experience cannot be gained from distance teaching.

I mean, is money an object to you? A 0.58 GPA deficit in the grand scheme of a 4-year program isn't exactly a matter of simply retaking the Stats class you got a C- in. And while you're female and have more options, grants and scholarships are generally much harder to come by once you've finished your initial four years, particularly if you're just taking more undergraduate level courses.

I'd really take a step back and evaluate what options you have which are actual practical. If even just the idea of retaking your classes to bump your GPA took someone here suggesting it to you for you to consider, I really do question your veracity in attaining this goal. It's fine to not feel fulfillment in your career and want to change things up, but I really do think you're not taking completely seriously that education-- especially early childhood and / or special education-- is a field people devote years of school and training into. You'll also be doing student teaching and performing as an assistant teacher all while I'm assuming you'll be working your main job. 9.99 times out of 10, it really isn't a field someone simply transitions into once they're bored with their career in medical billing.

Not that I have a vested interest in pissing on your dreams, and don't let me stop you from sitting down with an academic or occupational adviser, but I'd see if there aren't other ways to get your fix for your passion. You'll still need some accreditation and trainings, but volunteering might be a good option for you. Maybe look into classes that are fewer but which might help you be equipped to provide home schooling or supplemental education for any of your own future children. There are many ways to provide mentorship for the children of your community that don't require you make a career of it.

I don’t meet the gpa requirements for teaching credential programs in California . I’ve been working for 5 years in medical records . I’ve been looking into early childhood special education credential, multiple subject credentials . How do I go about this route ? I very much would like to work with children .

Have you looked into alternate path programs in California?

When I was first considering my career change, the principal of one of my state's magnet schools tried to lure me in to her school to become a teacher.

I didn't have a degree in education and didn't need to obtain one. I didn't have any teaching background whatsoever. In fact, I'd been working 6 years as an account manager.

The principal was even willing to let me take my certification classes concurrently with teaching.

Sorry I misread what you wrote . I think subbing or being a teachers aide is the way to go . I also think maybe taking a course or two in early childhood development could be a stepping stone . At the very least there are jobs in preschool teaching . Preschool teacher requirements aren’t that hefty .

Archived